Well , folks, sounds as if a/the bearing in the water pump is failing.  Should be a relatively simple job to R&R.  My question , for those that have done the same is, what pump?  Looks like several available. Any preference?

Thanks

Ben

The LT1 water pump is very possibly "reverse rotation" compared to prior engines.  OEM  factory equivalent should be fine.  No need for anything special.  Even a quality reman unit, as long as it's a FACTORY CASTING pump.

Then re-fill with DexCool coolant when done.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

I also used  the OEM factory equivalent on the LT-1 in our '95 Fleetwood,

but from AutoZone (closer to home - good warranty),

and used DexCool - no particular reason, other than it worked well for the previous 20+ years from new, with change/flush at 4 year intervals.

I imagine that with a good complete flush, any good quality universal type would be fine, but costs were similar, so I stuck with DexCool 

If it ain't broke ....

We're looking at 98 degrees tomorrow, and a heat index of 114 here in the Big Easy,

betcha' Wichita Falls isn't a whole bunch cooler?

Wish y'all the best

DexCool is the type of coolant that came in the cars initially.  Was one of the first GM cars to use it, too.  No silicates, which is supposed to lengthen water pump seal life, but then we had failed OEM pumps on 80K mile pickups a few years later.  GM had DExCool, Ford had Valvoline GO-5, and Chrysler had something similar to the Valvoline GO-5.  Different chemistries, but similar long-life results.  DexCool is pink, the others are golden in color.  The "normal stuff" is green.  At this point in time, Prestone and others have a "one size fits all" coolant, though.

Otherwise, the DexCool is supposed to coat the new engine block's coolant passages to end corrosion (according to the Buick service rep that gave our salespeople a new product seminar, back then).  No silicates and "the coating" is what gives it the 100 or 150K life, PLUS the lack of solder in the cooling system/radiator/heater core!  

With a complete flush of the system, anything will work.  Just don't MIX the two types of you'll end up with "sand" in the filler neck!  Also making sure the system and coolant reservoir is "full", at all times.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

OK, late to the party, but, 1992 is not THE   LT-1 of the 1994 to 1996 Buicks! The one with the water pump driven off the camshaft. It also does not have the reverse water flow of the LT-1 engine.

Unless Ben dropped one in.....😉

• Like 2

Just reverse rotation driven with a serpentine belt.

I DID need to "modify" the new pump.    It was a skooch too large  [ wide ] at the mounting ears, which are the pump outlets.  Would not fit between the AC compressor mount and the power steering mount. So ground a little off. 1/16" from both?

Ben

• Thanks 2

Point of clarification/detail.  The original "LT-1" (LT dash 1) was the Corvette engine from about 1970.  The "LT1" (LT no-dash 1) was the later engine of the 1990s -- cam driven water pump, distributor down on the front of the crankshaft, "OptiSpark", they called it.  AND the most recent "LT1" is in a late-model Corvette only.  ALL from different decades.

The OptiSpark on the LT no-dash 1 was down on the front of the crankshaft.  BUT you could also retro-fit a normal distributor into the motor!  Just remove the oil pump drive and install the distributor where that drive originally was.  Had to have something to drive the oil pump off of the camshaft.

I seem to recall that when Chevy went to the serpentine belt drives, those water pumps and fan clutches were reverse rotation, but not with reverse-flow cooling systems.  UNLESS you put the dirt tracker-style external plumbing on the engine.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't think 92s came with Dexcool. You don't want to put Dexcool into a car not originally equipped with it. There should be Dexcool  stickers under the hood if the car originally came with it. I think the first year for it was 1995.