NY to PA Title Question

MochetVelo

I have no idea on PA laws, but Connecticut wasn’t giving titles on antique cars about ten years ago. I purchased a car and registered it in Mass, but they required a bill of sale AND a registration to prove the previous owner had paid taxes and used it as proof of ownership. Also had to use a Connecticut transfer paper. It was easy to do, but if you didn’t have all your ducks in a row.....it would be a no go. I think I would research it on both ends from the NY-PA transfer.

My Pierce came here with a notarized bill of sale that stated that the signature on the transferred registration card was genuine, and also listed the engine and serial numbers (different states may use one or the other). He also included the 1935 title he received with the car which I turned a copy of into the registry in North Carolina. After that, a state trooper was sent to the house and verified all the numbers on the car, took pictures and filled out a form that released a new NC title. That trooper was the one who suggested that when I got the new title I should void the old one and note that new superseding title number.

I’m not sure what PA will want , but a phone call to the DMV is a great idea, and beats second guessing...

29 minutes ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

I’m not sure what PA will want , but a phone call to the DMV is a great idea, and beats second guessing...

Roger that. I used a local title service. She was quite knowledgeable and  knew how to access the system to get answers.  The small fee is well worth it..........bob

• Like 1

The cars in NY State that are registered before a certain year ( not sure of the year you would have to check that out) only had a "registration" that noted the year, ID number , make, color ... This is on all pre WWII crs and I am sure up into the 1960s as well. You have to call to make sure as others have stated. My two pre war cars that I have on the road still only have registrations not titles.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dvspubsforms/BMV/BMV Fact Sheets/fs-ant.pdf

We get more than a few calls here about this subject.  A lack of a title is pretty huge with Penndot.  There is an attorney in Harrisburg, Bryan Shook who specializes in antique car matters.  We are about to use him for several cars we have no titles for as it involves going before a magistrate judge.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I believe it was 1972 that New York State DMV started issuing titles. The only paperwork that came with the car was the registration. As others have stated, you might need an attorney as some states are really strict about titles. Did you check with Penn DMV?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

New York issues registrations to cars older than 25 years. A signed CURRENT registration and a bill of sale should get you a title in any state. Ohio is a challenging place for title work but we don't have problems if we have the proper documents from the other states.

The process isn't difficult, and 9 times out of 10, the problem can be traced to a seller who didn't feel like paying his registration fees or sales taxes and decided to just skip all that registration and titling nonsense. When he sells the car he makes it the buyer's problem, takes the buyer's money, and stops returning phone calls while he counts it.

If it doesn't have a valid title in the seller's name or a current registration in the seller's name if it's from a non-title state, do not buy the car. Period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies. I just received this from my local title service:  (from NY DMV Website)  A transferable registration is issued for a 1972 or older motor vehicle, or a 1986 or older motorboat. The transferable portion proves ownership, and is used to sell or give ownership to another person. The registration portion allows the vehicle to be operated on a public road, or a motorboat on a public waterway.  

"With that being said, we need the transferable registration, the vehicle here for the VIN verification, a current insurance card for the vehicle and your PA drivers license."

I keep buying cars that I think are OK for title and then having problems. Here's hoping this one works out!

Phil

Matt, New York State issues only registrations to cars under 1972. Every car after 1972, is issued a title and a registration. The title shows proof of ownership and the registration shows that the car is legally registered with NYSDMV. Your registration is what you carry and show the police when required. Car's being over 25 years old has nothing to do with it. My '69 Camaro, '46 Ford, 32 Ford, and '29 Ford, registration only. My cars that were built after 1972, both registration and title.

47 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

Matt, New York State issues only registrations to cars under 1972. Every car after 1972, is issued a title and a registration. The title shows proof of ownership and the registration shows that the car is legally registered with NYSDMV. Your registration is what you carry and show the police when required. Car's being over 25 years old has nothing to do with it. My '69 Camaro, '46 Ford, 32 Ford, and '29 Ford, registration only. My cars that were built after 1972, both registration and title.

OK, so it's 1972 and older rather than a rolling 25 years in New York. The fact that you need a current, signed New York registration to prove ownership and transfer title is still the important part.

• Like 2

If it was me, I would call PennDOT directly at (717) 412-5300 and talk to them about your issue.  This is the phone number for the PennDOT headquarters in Harrisburg, the only people I ever talk to about vehicle registrations and titles.  This is also the only place i go to related to vehicle registrations and titles.

You may want to use the speaker on your phone as you may be on hold for a while.

Be sure to keep good notes and names of the individuals you talk to just in case you run into an issue later.

• Thanks 1

The NY registration you need will say transferable on the front. The back will have two signature lines.  One for the seller and one for the buyer. The registration half with transferable on it is  the only ownership document NY gives you on a 72 or older vehicle. The other half is the registration window sticker .

Edited by misterc9 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, misterc9 said:

The NY registration you need will say transferrable on the front. The back will have two signature lines.  One for the seller and one for the buyer.

Yes, very important! The registration has two half's one half is the transfer stub that goes with the new owner. 

One would think that Pennsylvania and New York who share close to 400 miles of boarder, that this would be a cut and dry issue 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pre 1972 vehicles from New York and several other states have no titles.  What they have is a 'Transferrable Registration' which looks like a registration card but has a place on the back for Transfer information.  To get a PA Title with one of these you need a Bill of Sale (I've done several that were not notarized and can't say if it is required), and a tracing of the VIN.  A photo will not work and the Notary will tell you you must get an Inspection Mechanic to verify the VIN, but the tracing always works.  Fill out the normal Title request, pay the tax and fees and you should be done.

• Like 1