Just curious

414TATA

Just received my Vehicle registration renewal notice today from the state of California.. to renew  my 1941 Buick Super the total is $187.00 .  $40 of that is for special plate fee.  There are no other state fee such as annual inspection or smog certification requirement. (car older than 20 years smog cert. is not required). 

I'm just curious what other collector car owners around the country and out of the U.S. for that matter are paying  to keep their cars registered.

DSCN0198 (2) - Copy.jpg

It varies tremendously from state to state.

In Pennsylvania, it's about $75 to register an antique car,

and the registration is PERMANENT.  For as long as you

own that car--whether 5 years or 75 years--you will not

have to pay any additional registration fees.

No annual inspection is needed.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Virginia is $50 to the state for permanent registration. There are local taxes (shouldn't be but there are, sometimes called local tags) and no annual inspection, nor emission inspection (since to get antique tags they are 25 years old or more).

1 hour ago, Bhigdog said:

Just another reason to bail on the left coast........bob

I tend to disagree, but then again, I’m first and foremost a car guy and love to drive my vintage cars (I regard my daily driver with as much enthusiasm or interest as rest of our household appliances).

I love the weather here for year around driving and there’s just so many cool roads with different sceneries everywhere, etc and if it would cost $1000 to keep each of my cars registered here, I wouldn’t change my driving habits or move somewhere else because of it, even if they offered free registration. 

I’ve traveled fairly extensively everywhere in the continental U.S. and there’s not many areas that can match CA for as much variety for great driving opportunities.
Only thing I wish is that more people would leave and move elsewhere so there would be less of them on the roads around here.
One can dream, right ?

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

TTR,

They ARE moving out and they are coming to Colorado.

The sad part is, their bringing their ideas with them.

Colorado is now solid "blue".

Used to be just Boulder, and we could laugh at them.

It's not funny anymore..................

Mike in Colorado

• Haha 1

Another Californian here, I'd like to add that we love our rust-free cars (especially when working on them) and not having to worry about the dreaded tin worm (well, maybe just a little). Also, our weather permits one of the broadest car activity calendars anywhere. Easily April to mid-November. And with few exceptions, having roads free of frost heaves and related damage from the freeze-thaw cycles in colder parts of the country is nice.

Yes, the registration fees are high here and passing a biennial smog check is needed for model year 1976 and up. But maybe it's offset by not needing a snow shovel and/or snow blower? Regardless of where we live, it is home.

In Washington State there are some up front fees to get registered, but the registration never expires. Has to be at least 30 years old for a "collector vehicle" plate or YOM, 40 years old for a "horseless carriage" plate.

$55 per year for 45 driving days (extendable) inclusive uncapped no fault 3rd party liability insurance (as is all registrations in Victoria) 

It's a bit of an usual setup in that because the insurance is mandatory and part of your registration they often do road safety projects (like any insurance company trying to lower their payout).

Edited by hidden_hunter (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hidden_hunter said:

$55 per year for 45 driving days (extendable) inclusive uncapped no fault 3rd party liability insurance (as is all registrations in Victoria) 

HH,

For "Historic Vehicles", ie over 30 years old, in New South Wales it's $99AUD = Approx$70US for the first year. Subsequent years $60AUD = Approx$42US. Includes the third party insurance as above. Covers 60 driving days per year, additionally also published club runs and events.

Edited by Ozstatman (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Ozstatman said:

For "Historic Vehicles", ie over 30 years old, in New South Wales it's $99AUD = Approx$70US for the first year. Subsequent years $60AUD = Approx$42US. Includes the third party insurance as above. Covers 60 driving days per year, additionally also published club runs and events.

It's only been pretty recent that NSW got rid of the whole has to be at a club even rule wasn't it? 

10 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Virginia is $50 to the state for permanent registration. There are local taxes (shouldn't be but there are, sometimes called local tags) and no annual inspection, nor emission inspection (since to get antique tags they are 25 years old or more).

MD is similar, only no local taxes. Car must be 20 years old. No inspection even to get registered (which i think is pretty silly), no emission insp. Pay a bit more if you want personalized tags. I run YOM of tags, no extra fee.

- restrictions are supposed to apply though - If its a truck no cargo in the bed (yeah, right. See them at HD all the time), only supposed to use for special occasions, car clubs, holiday use, etc. (again with a 20 yr cuttoff a lot of dd's run these plates). There was an article in the local news, a car was stopped late night/early morning for using historic tags. Apparently, as part of the rules 'a car with historic tags cannot transport passengers on a public highway'. The car in question was loaded with passengers. That was the reason to stop and it ended up with illegal substances being found as well.

In Ma. 

Regular reg. $60, renewal $60.

Vanity   $30 plate $20  Renewal $80.

YOM $30 Plate$20 Renewal $50.

Yearly insp. $35.

Yearly excise tax $25/$1000, based on cost when new, decreasing for 5 years to 10%. Min tax is $5.

53 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

MD is similar, only no local taxes. Car must be 20 years old. No inspection even to get registered (which i think is pretty silly), no emission insp. Pay a bit more if you want personalized tags. I run YOM of tags, no extra fee.

- restrictions are supposed to apply though - If its a truck no cargo in the bed (yeah, right. See them at HD all the time), only supposed to use for special occasions, car clubs, holiday use, etc. (again with a 20 yr cuttoff a lot of dd's run these plates). There was an article in the local news, a car was stopped late night/early morning for using historic tags. Apparently, as part of the rules 'a car with historic tags cannot transport passengers on a public highway'. The car in question was loaded with passengers. That was the reason to stop and it ended up with illegal substances being found as well.

In MD, once your antique reaches 60 years of age, you can request a permanent tag. One if the few things that are “free” in the Land of Tax and Spend”. The Historic tag provision is still being abused. My son spotted a large food truck on his college campus and it was so adorned. Eventually, they will figure out how to punish the honest antique car owners.

12 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

TTR,

They ARE moving out and they are coming to Colorado.

Mike in Colorado

Thank you (and other Coloradians) for making it a desirable destination.

I, for one, will appreciate if you (and any other States) can do more to help promoting exodus from here ! 😉

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Writer Jon said:

Another Californian here, I'd like to add that we love our rust-free cars...

Also, our weather permits one of the broadest car activity calendars anywhere....

Great advantages in car-loving California!

Now get your legislators to reduce the fees for

the antique-car hobbyists, and you'll have the

best of both worlds.

Oregon, one time fee for permanent registration. I have several.

Many decades ago we Oregonians did anything we could to discourage Californicators from moving here.

Our governor at the time made it clear that we didn't really want any more people moving here with a "nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live here" campaign.

Seems like pretty much every one here now is from there.

TN I believe was around $28 one time fee for historic plates good forever no inspections but restricted driving (they don't seem to enforce them), weekends and to auto events or testing anytime. I have two with those plates and a third with regular plates so I don't have restrictions, I think those are $29/year again no inspections. We can put any state year of manufacture plate on a historic vehicle as long as we carry the historic plate. If we want to license the YOM plate it has to be TN and I believe there is an additional fee, couldn't see the reason to look into it with the liberal use of YOM if you carry the historic plate.

14 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

It's only been pretty recent that NSW got rid of the whole has to be at a club even rule wasn't it? 

HH,

That's correct. Couple of years ago they introduced a trial scheme, then about a year ago it became permanent.

Story/anecdote/make of it what you will, is that a bureaucrat in the NSW RMS office had a brother who worked in a like area of bureaucracy in either Vic or SA(Can't remember which) whose state had a similar scheme and it was cloned and introduced on a trial basis then went from there. There was also  lobbying by the Council of Motor Clubs and other "old car" bodies to improve the club event rule.

Edited by Ozstatman (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, Ozstatman said:

Story/anecdote/make of it what you will, is that a bureaucrat in the NSW RMS office had a brother who worked in a like area of bureaucracy in either Vic or SA(Can't remember which) whose state had a similar scheme and it was cloned and introduced on a trial basis then went from there. There was also  lobbying by the Council of Motor Clubs and other "old car" bodies to improve the club event rule.

Vic has had this style of scheme for quite a while now 

12 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Limited to recreational driving, however.

Isn't it all recreational?

Oh, maybe its therapeutical.

But officer ?

I drive one of my old pick ups pretty much daily. I know that all of the local cops have seen me, I'm still testing that last brake job.

• Like 2

Florida requires registration every year (can buy 2 years at a time). Over 30 years the price drops (antique).

TITLE REQUIRED TAX CLASS CLASSIFICATION NET WEIGHT IN POUNDS ANNUAL TAX AND OTHER FEES *Yes
01 Automobiles, private useThru 2499 $27.60
01 Automobiles, private use 2500-3499 $35.60
01 Automobiles, private use 3500 Up $45.60
95 Antiques-Passenger Cars $20.60

plus some interesting "new registration  and out of state title fees (about $350) to import a car. Why "Clear Florida Title" is important.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/83140.pdf

On 7/9/2020 at 9:15 AM, Roger Walling said:

In Ma. 

Regular reg. $60, renewal $60.

Vanity   $30 plate $20  Renewal $80.

YOM $30 Plate$20 Renewal $50.

Yearly insp. $35.

Yearly excise tax $25/$1000, based on cost when new, decreasing for 5 years to 10%. Min tax is $5.

Try registering a 3500 series truck and a 30 foot triple axel trailer........insanity in Mass.......easy over 1500 per year!

1 minute ago, auburnseeker said:

They learned taxation from their neighbor NY state. 

Randy......the 1500 is only the trailer........the truck is another 2500-3500.

Trailer cost:

inspection - yearly - 150

Registration - yearly fee - 200

Weight GVW - add on - 24k - 800

Sales Tax - one time - 6.25 percent Figure 2500
Excise tax - yearly- 900-1500

Insurance - optional- 450

Wonder why I registered my trailer in Maine? 22.50 a year all in.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 10:50 PM, JACK M said:

Isn't it all recreational?

Oh, maybe its therapeutical.

But officer ?

I drive one of my old pick ups pretty much daily. I know that all of the local cops have seen me, I'm still testing that last brake job.

+1o.png

Edited by adalah (see edit history)

On 7/8/2020 at 6:42 PM, 414TATA said:

Just received my Vehicle registration renewal notice today from the state of California.. to renew  my 1941 Buick Super the total is $187.00 .  $40 of that is for special plate fee.  There are no other state fee such as annual inspection or smog certification requirement. (car older than 20 years smog cert. is not required). 

I'm just curious what other collector car owners around the country and out of the U.S. for that matter are paying  to keep their cars registered.

DSCN0198 (2) - Copy.jpg

I moved from California in 2013, the 2012 registrations on my 69 Pontiac and my 76 Oldsmobile were $60 for the Pontiac and $67 for the Oldsmobile ( I just went back in my files)  and those were both Ca. Historical plates. So lets see when I left Ca., Ca was 360 Billion in the whole and today the last I heard was 1.3 trillion in debt. So your registration with all things considered is about right. And don't forget the state would love to do away with prop 13, I believe it will be voted on this year. 

FYI, in California all cars with exhaust controls must maintain those systems on the car.

Exhaust controls start with the 1966 model year in Ca.    Cars from 1966-1975 are exempt from testing, however they can be brought into smog check without referendum if the state cannot meet it's air quality emission standards or can't meet it's carbon offset standards.

Cars from 1976 and newer have to be smog tested bi-annually indefinitely, however brand new cars do not start emission testing until after six years.  

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)