1928 Chrysler Model 72 Roadster Rear Fender Brackets

Can anyone supply a photo of the rear fender brackets (supports)?  There is a difference I believe between the passenger side under the rumble seat step plate and the drivers side without the step plate.

My '31 CD8 Roadster had these 2 brackets on passenger side to support the rumble seat step plates. Wide one piece goes center of top of fender, has 2 bolts into a threaded backing piece on inner fender, and also is supported by one of the normal fender bolts. The second bracket goes on lower end of fender, bolts up similar to the other one, and has an angled outer bracket that mounts on out side of fender to recieve the step plate. While I imagine '28's would be similar, have never seen any. as far as I know, there were never any brackets on driver side for rear fender support, in my car's case, rear fenders are bolted to inner fender all around, plus to running board, and to gas tank apron.

The top one passenger side for the rumble seat step plate on the crown of the fender probably is similar.  The lower step plate in 1928 is mounted on the rear passenger frame rail, not the fender.  And on the drivers side?

13 minutes ago, leomara said:

The top one passenger side for the rumble seat step plate on the crown of the fender probably is similar.  The lower step plate in 1928 is mounted on the rear passenger frame rail, not the fender.  And on the drivers side?

More than likely there was no step plate on the driver's side.

It may, without a restored example or photo I don't really know.  It would seem logical that a rear fender would have some type of support other than the bolts holding to the body.

My '31's Chrysler driver side only had 7 or 8 nuts with large body washers 9about 1.75" dia) securing to imbedded bolts on inner fender, no braces. Same generally for my '31 Chevy, only bolts and body washers, but it has a small short (about 1.5"x 4" long) curved extra  washer/brace at top bolt. Was just 1/8' flat steel curved to profile of fender and replaced the oblong regular body washer, had hole in center.  Not sure it did much, when I got car 12 years ago there was only one on pass side. The key to good securing of rear fenders is the large washer. Yours may have been oblong/lozenge shaped ones, typically a pressed steel cupped style, about 1.25"x2.5". Can send photo if no one has pic of real thing.

I still need to see what the fender support bracket looks like on the rear passenger side supporting the rumble seat step plate.  A photo would be most appreciated.  

Don't know because the car I'm doing was a basket case.  However,  I've inspected the same place on a model 75 and there is a bracket under the rumble seat step plate on the fender.  There would have to be some support there for the weight of a person stepping into the rumble seat.

• 2 weeks later...

This is how it is arranged on a Series 65 Roadster. A 1/8" plate fastened with two bolts into the inner fender (cage nuts without reinforcement inside) and one into a fender bolt. Square nut on top holds the step pad.

313802513_CR180111CRmekking(3)forsterkingsplatestigtrinnCR-II.thumb.jpg.381a9d70aae66dc0611a336527c7bffd.jpg

I had a chance to examine a 1929 coupe model 75 with a rumble seat.  The brace for the fender with the step plate looks kind of like a curved rectangle wide enough to catch the 2 holes holding the fender to the body and 2 other holes catching the bolts holding the step plate.  It was not anything that sophisticated, probably the hardest thing would be to bend a steel plate to match the curve of the body and top of the inside of the fender.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...