'65 clamshell headlight motor brackets/cover

JJ62

Good day.

Putting my '65 together before selling it. This car did not have a clamshell motor in it when I bought it. I bought a motor and had Steve Lorenzen rebuild it.

I purchased 2 brackets and a rubber cover from a guy in the Facebook Riviera group. I understand where the small "L" bracket goes and it appears the cover snaps into the trim piece under the grill. I need to know where the larger "L" bracket goes. I've looked for pictures online, but there are none showing these components. I understand there's not much room in that area to take good pictures. My service manual isn't much help either.

Does anyone have pictures that can help me or describe where it goes?

Also, is it hard to find the larger  "L" bracket and rubber cover?

Thanks,

Jim

clamshell motor.jpg

clamshell motor brackets.jpg

It is difficult to get any images because the motor is tucked between the front bumper and radiator. Mine is a 65 Riviera Gran Sport

Attached are two photos - captions tell the perspective.

I can (try to) take more photos if you ID angle you need

I have never taken the motor apart nor off the car but -- to me -- that small L bracket looks like the one on which the motor sits (first photo)

View straight down - radiator at top of photo - resized.jpg

View straight back - radiator behind motor - resized.jpg

7 hours ago, Craig Balzer said:

It is difficult to get any images because the motor is tucked between the front bumper and radiator. Mine is a 65 Riviera Gran Sport

Attached are two photos - captions tell the perspective.

I can (try to) take more photos if you ID angle you need

I have never taken the motor apart nor off the car but -- to me -- that small L bracket looks like the one on which the motor sits (first photo)

View straight down - radiator at top of photo - resized.jpg

View straight back - radiator behind motor - resized.jpg

Craig,

Thanks for the pictures. It looks like you are missing the smaller "L" bracket that bolts to the inner support of the lower bumper (that's a mouthful!) and to the stud on the motor. Or maybe the camera angle is wrong and it is there. I see the stud and the nut, but can't see the bracket.

The base of the motor bolts to the lower radiator support. I assume your car has A/C, looks like the condenser is covering the base. I don't think the larger bracket has anything to do with the clamshell motor.

Jim

clamshell motor bracket in car.jpg

Here are a few more pictures showing the mounting arrangement of the headlight motor and rubber cover.  The big L-bracket attaches to the cross member under the radiator, you can see it to the left in the first picture. The small L-bracket attaches to a stud on the side of the motor and one on the back of the bumper reinforcement bar. It is shown on the right  in the first picture. The rubber cover is attached with two clips (same as used on the rubber splash guards). The holes are in the valence panel under the grill. The second picture shows the rubber cover in place. I have seen the rubber cover show up on ebay from time to time. Also try contacting "abandg" here on the forum, he will likely have these parts.

L-bracket mounting - Edited.jpg

Headlight motor cover - Edited.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 48Super said:

Here are a few more pictures showing the mounting arrangement of the headlight motor and rubber cover.  The big L-bracket attaches to the cross member under the radiator, you can see it to the left in the first picture. The small L-bracket attaches to a stud on the side of the motor and one on the back of the bumper reinforcement bar. It is shown on the right  in the first picture. The rubber cover is attached with two clips (same as used on the rubber splash guards). The holes are in the valence panel under the grill. The second picture shows the rubber cover in place. I have seen the rubber cover show up on ebay from time to time. Also try contacting "abandg" here on the forum, he will likely have these parts.

L-bracket mounting - Edited.jpg

Headlight motor cover - Edited.jpg

I can see how the bottom bracket is with your picture. They must figure the area underneath the crossmember needs reinforcement with the torque of the motor. I have seen one on eBay for a while, didn't know if it was correct. Here's pictures of it. Looks similar to your bottom bracket.

I have the cover, just may leave it off the car when I sell it.

Thanks,

Jim

lower headlight motor bracket inner view.jpg

lower headlight motor bracket outer view.jpg