1930 Pierce Arrow Model B Club Sedan - Not Mine

Here is what looks to be a fine example of a 1930 Pierce Arrow Model B Club Sedan.

Appears that the mechanicals and paint work have been completed but the interior was not done.

And yes, the landau bars are not correct on this one, either.  😁

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1358525/1930-pierce-arrow-model-b-for-sale-in-saint-louis-missouri-63146

20928495-1930-pierce-arrow-model-b-srcse

• Like 2

It's very interesting to compare this car to the '30 Pierce sedan that's currently being discussed in another thread.  This one seems like the best deal at roughly $10K less than the other one.  Yes, it needs upholstery, but everything else on this one seems better, and who really wants the horrible vinyl upholstery job on the other one?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, lhend50 said:

Beautiful car. Never driven a Pierce, how do they run on the highway.

They run beautifully down the road.

I'm actually more comfortable in mine on the highway than around town but a smaller Pierce like this one should be more enjoyable around town.

The ride is phenomenal for a car approaching 100 years old and they steer and stop very well.

2 minutes ago, neil morse said:

It's very interesting to compare this car to the '30 Pierce sedan that's currently being discussed in another thread.  This one seems like the best deal at roughly $10K less than the other one.  Yes, it needs upholstery, but everything else on this one seems better, and who really wants the horrible vinyl upholstery job on the other one?

That was really the main reason I posted it.

I've never posted in the For Sale Section before but with the other '30 Club Sedan getting a little attention I figured this one deserved some attention as well.

• Like 1

I like the looks of this one as well.

I hate the ads that make you read the whole history of the company before getting to gist of the car.

Pretty sure that if one is serious about one of these he already knows about the history.

How much would a complete and correct interior for this car cost?

Another gripe, some of these advertisers are so loaded with pop ups my computer looses the page and has to reload.

Three times by the time I got all the reading done and looked at all of the pictures.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JACK M said:

How much would a complete and correct interior for this car cost?

trimacar or edinmass would be the best ones to answer that question.

Correct material has become shockingly expensive these days.

18 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Another gripe, some of these advertisers are so loaded with pop ups my computer looses the page and has to reload.

Three times by the time I got all the reading done and looked at all of the pictures.

I use Firefox or Chrome with AdBlock extensions to help eliminate the ads and popups.

You can also turn off allowing the page to open new windows in the settings for each browser.

1 minute ago, zepher said:

trimacar or edinmass would be the best ones to answer that question.

Correct material has become shockingly expensive these days.

I was wondering if Ed could be familiar with this car.

Ad says open to offers, maybe offset the cost of an interior a bit.

And shipping to and from.

I would say a correct interior suitable for winning in AACA and CCCA would be 15K to 20K (including materials).  Yes, some upholsters will do it for less and some will do it for more.

And you also have 2K to 3K  in little items in chroming and die cast replacement.

And running board moldings. 

And sidemount tire locks (on your base model "poverty" wooden wheels).

Sidenote:  When I say a "poverty" wooden wheel - there were two styles of wooden wheel - the one like on this car with demountable rim and the fully demountable style of wooden wheel (and then you had wire wheels and probably chrome wire wheels).  Fully demountable wooden wheels and wire wheels are the more coveted wheel.   My experience is when you go to sell a late 30's/early 30's car with the base model non-demountable wooden wheel it is like the "ghosts of Christmas pasts." 

And apparently unobtainium headlamp lenses are needed.

But, agree it is a nice car and a deserving project.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I will NEVER enter this kind of judging.

Just want a nice car to drive around.

Probably an advantage doing a correct or near correct interior though.

Little items don't bother me much, but it would be fun having that little guy shooting his arrow out front.

• Like 2

Hello........I have had several people call me about these cars, so I don’t want to comment too much. I have done business with Mark Hyman several times. It was always a smooth and easy transaction. I like club sedans and have owned a handful of them over the years. 31, 35 V-12, 35 8 two different cars, and a 36 V-12 which is my permanent tour car of thirty years. Both cars seem like they will make someone a good driver, but both need additional investment to go down the road. Makes them difficult to sell unless the price is attractive............cost of an interior would run 20-60 depending on quality. The cost is one thing, finding someone willing to do it is another. With proper sorting, 1930 Pierce Arrows are great cars...........buy you must be up to thE challenge of getting them there. As each year went bye, the cars became easier to service, less expensive to own today, And even more drivable on today’s modern roads. Hopefully someone will take on each car. I’m sure they will eventually get back on the road........the question is what the current marketplace is on sedans that need work.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JACK M said:

... but it would be fun having that little guy shooting his arrow out front.

Here’s that view, albeit not the best background in the picture...

I would love to see someone buy these cars and sort them out, mine is getting closer every month...

B814F455-B373-4DCA-B0C0-DFD5BB03A005.jpeg

86473CBC-5C8E-4DB1-A79B-A36E122C34CE.jpeg

Edited by Mark Wetherbee (see edit history)
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Ed will likely know the date, but I recall reading the obit for the gent who served as the model for the archer and being surprised at his longevity.  If I remember right it was well past 2000.

ALBERT GONAS or "Big Al' as I called him was a true gentleman. Each time I would see him I would say............I never get tired looking at your ass while I am driving. It was a running joke for 25 years. He was at Amelia in 2001 as a special guest for the Pierce Arrow featured class. He would cheerfully sign autographs for anyone who requested. My only regret is I didn't have him sign the hood of my 100 point 1936 V-12 in a paint pen. So many good people in the hobby I knew as I grew up are now gone. Someday I shallowing relate the story in detail on how he became the model for the archer. He lived a great life.

IMG_2667.JPG

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Figure 15-16 yards of material, plus three yards headliner....quality broadcloth in thE $80/yard range, With other materials for seats and panels figure 1500-2000 in materials.  15k should get you the labor covered, an interior from scratch is 200-250 hours.  My experience is that you’ll have another 5-10K in chrome and woodgraining, all depends on what you have to start with.

Thus, a correct interior adds a lot to a car’s value.  

I’m talking an interior that is not likely to lose any points in AACA or CCCA judging.  If you’re going to Pebble Beach, then the labor pool narrows down, and Ed’s numbers of three or four times that apply.

It’s hard to explain excellent versus perfect.  In the brass car era, I can usually tell you quickly if button tufting was done by Lief Drexler, for example.  I understand his prices were outrageous, and know something about what he charged, but he was paid that because his work is as close to perfection as one can get with upholstery, and it shows...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, trimacar said:

plus three yards headliner....

It has been a while since I have seen a properly done Pierce Arrow Club Sedan, but I keep thinking the headliner has piping in about 5 inches or so from edge - last time we did that kind of detail work on a 30's headliner it doubled the material usage (as you needed the extra material to have the edge to sew on) and it quadrupled the cost of the headliner (taking about a week to make and install, though we probably could have cut a few days off if we had a really great pattern to start with).  

Now, the flips side of the coin - if it is "just" sewn side to side (without the fancy piping) - that makes life sooooooooooooooo much easier (but straight seams and .... still take time). 

Ed is correct about Pebble Beach BOS and BOC winning work where every stitch has to be perfect - it is the black hole of time.  Try a convertible top with extensive use of chrome pin bead for some real sticker shock.

And trimacar is correct in that " It’s hard to explain excellent versus perfect" - a friend use to say "there are 100 point cars and then there are 100 point cars and the two are nowhere the same."

I will say this - get one crooked seam or one piece in interior that looks amateur and it will stick out like a sore thumb and definitely has an impact on value too.

By the way, this should not deter someone from this PA - it is a really nice car and

Sidenote: I thought about this car myself (It has crossed my mind to find a PA Club Sedan, but have a particular car in mind that friends restored eons ago - a 1931 PA Model 42 Club "Berline" Sedan) and if I go otherwise I am still a wire wheel or demountable wood wheel kind of guy.

John, a 1931 Pierce Series 42 is the closest thing you can buy to a model J, and it’s beyond fantastic. Properly set up and tuned, it’s the best car in 31 after a J. It’s easy to get 175 hp out of them, and they absolutely fly. Steering, stopping, and suspension are better than a J. It will eat a V-16 Cadillac for lunch. Only problem is that are like unicorn horns........very difficult to find, and very seldom change hands. It’s one of those rare cars not well understood except by the people who own them. It usually only becomes for sale at an estate situation. Yup, I have one. 385 cid and they drive like a modern car. Ours has been in the family 49 years, and it’s going nowhere. I have a nephew who will have it next......and add to the family History for another 50.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, JACK M said:

but it would be fun having that little guy shooting his arrow out front.

Mark's shot was in a garage, here's one out on the road.

That archer sure does look good out front when you're going down the road.

IMG_0240.JPG

• Like 3

I’ve told this story before, the late Ron Barnett wanted to see an early fire engine in my home town, we hopped in my 31 Pierce phaeton to go see it.  A few minutes later, he told me...David, I’ve never liked the looks of the fender mounted lights on a Pierce, but, you know, they look great from INSIDE the car!

65AA63A3-8E62-437D-9755-7078707DB8A5.jpeg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2020 at 10:55 AM, JACK M said:

Around here they would make you put a mask on him.

Not only a mask......a diaper! Too much PC and Woke............I think I will start a new political campaign ..........Let “Al the Archer”  be nude and free! And our slogan will be............”Check out Al’s ass, he has buns of steel”! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I just learned yesterday that a good friend of mine here in Cleveland bought this car. He doesn't have it yet, but he was able to get it at a much better-than-advertised price. He understands that he's going to have a big job ahead of him with the interior and understands that it will be costly. He's not going to throw some vinyl in there and call it good. He owns a '32 Pierce Model 54 Brougham, so he's familiar with the marque. He has an early 1900s Pierce bicycle that he's interested in selling to help finance it, so if anyone here is interested that could be available shortly.

I'll make sure he reverses the landau irons, too.

• Like 1

Matt......he contacted me this morning. I’ll give him a few heads up on the 1930 Series cars. His 32 Series 54 Club Brougham is a great car, and probably the best year chassis for a Pierce eight for overall handling. 

26 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Matt......he contacted me this morning. I’ll give him a few heads up on the 1930 Series cars. His 32 Series 54 Club Brougham is a great car, and probably the best year chassis for a Pierce eight for overall handling. 

Norm is the sweetest, nicest guy I've ever met. He'll be eager to learn. I know you'll steer him right!

He's also a very talented craftsman who knows how to do it right. He did this in his driveway:

752174782_1930Packard740_017.thumb.jpg.801ddbd07cba64a7fc12f7d79cf1a841.jpg  1192944516_1930Packard740_016.thumb.jpg.d1a3d654bf458a8d3c410b4ac64933ea.jpg  2129504554_1930Packard740_038.thumb.jpg.8074abe5967cd1aac35a4f9b15bb1b1c.jpg

001.thumb.JPG.a3b22f4776094801dc4d4bde7fff3aa4.JPG  042.thumb.JPG.368c385053be4acd796bfc3fe6244afd.JPG  066.thumb.JPG.b7aedc70f71da38003b0a90c8e4da883.JPG

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Please do - it will make all the difference :)

Also, my list above includes a few other things people will need to help him with. 

Friends had a 31 Model 42 Salon Club Sedan (I have Ed on the hunt for it) and the luggage trunk on that car fit close to the body and bridged the luggage rack to the back of the deck behind the body and then the small piece of the luggage rack was in the vertical position to make like a decorative bumper out in front of the trunk - it really made a whole world of difference in how the car looked as trunk was more "integrated" into the car verses sitting way back off car.   And, yes the car was like that as an totally untouched (and I really do mean untouched) car pre-restoration.  That car also had the original luggage trunk and it was of LeBaron style in metal with rounded front. 

Trunk was like this, but sat on the both rear body platform and luggage rack.

1931 Pierce-Arrow Model 41 - Convertible Victoria | Classic Driver ...

Good to see this car is going to a good home and current PAS member.

Looking forward to seeing the progress as the interior is taken care of.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 11:14 AM, Matt Harwood said:

I just learned yesterday that a good friend of mine here in Cleveland bought this car. He doesn't have it yet, but he was able to get it at a much better-than-advertised price. He understands that he's going to have a big job ahead of him with the interior and understands that it will be costly. He's not going to throw some vinyl in there and call it good. He owns a '32 Pierce Model 54 Brougham, so he's familiar with the marque. He has an early 1900s Pierce bicycle that he's interested in selling to help finance it, so if anyone here is interested that could be available shortly.

Matt, thanks so much for mentioning the bicycle.  I've spent time on the phone with Norm yesterday and today, and happy to say that the early 1900's shaft drive (chainless) Pierce bike is now mine!   Thanks, love these forums, if you read carefully you can find stuff! By the way, though the badge had an arrow, the bicycles and motorcycles made were never called "Pierce Arrow", just Pierce....

IMG_6275.JPG

IMG_6292.JPG

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 2