Sign in to follow this  
Reaper1

Rosso, the 16V.

So, after almost a MONTH of waiting to get her, she FINALLY arrived on July 4!! I won't get into the shipping story here (I will write another thread), but suffice it to say that was a hard fought independence!

I knew the car wasn't perfect, but I also knew it had a LOT of potential. Low miles, straight, no rust.

Outside:

It has been repainted, but it's a good job. I had to look in a known spot to be able to tell. It's an older job, and it shows its age, but I think a little PDR on 2 little bumps in the hood, a paint correction, and a ceramic coat and she will be good enough for shows! It's got a few little things here and there to make right again, but nothing major as far as trim and such.

Inside:

The seats are in remarkable condition. Not perfect, but not beat to hell like most. I do need to take them out and get the tracks all fixed up as well as get the driver's control panel back in place. Typical TC stuff. The cargo deck is sun faded, again, typical. It does seem to have a leak as the floor is damp and I am suspecting this is the root cause of some other things. The dash is in good shape as it has a cover on it. Center console lid needs to have the mount fixed, and of course the ash tray lid is a separate "optional" part! LOL

Electrical:

I am still working through this, but everything seems to be getting power and "works", but not as well as it should. Again, probably from just sitting. The antenna mast decided to chew its teeth yesterday (oh yay) and the speakers might as well be mud. All typical. It seems to have a power drain, though, and I am pretty sure that the damp carpet is the root cause.

Mechanical:

So, the most important part: it RUNS! I need to replace the valve cover gasket (guess I'll be giving Joel more of my money! LOL). From what I can see it appears the car was actually taken care of in this department. The only major thing is shifting to 3rd and 4th. I have to check the bushings and all, but OMG does it grind if you don't give it a second to get the gear! I have a spare transmission and such, so, hopefully it doesn't get to that. The left front brake is giving me crap (have another thread on that). All of the dampers are factory and SHOT! It's a shame because they have the factory part numbers and such on them. They will be getting replaced, obviously. I think it has a bad fuel pressure regulator. It sets a code 13, but the Baro and MAP have both been swapped for known good units. I cleaned the Baro electrical connector and checked for vacuum leaks. I saw a TINY bit of wet fuel in the line, and after I blew it out, it seemed to work better. Turn the engine off...let it sit for a couple of minutes, restart...problem returns. The interesting part to me is that I can't really blow through the vacuum line, but I can suck through it (from the MAP side). There shouldn't be a check valve in the MAP line, so that just seems strange to me. I have to replace the fuel hoses anyway, so I will have to take a better look anyway. The A/C was "converted" but you can smell the 134 leaking out of it. It kicked on for 1 cycle, then nadda. I am 99.99% sure the lines need to be rebuilt, which is actually OK because I have another set I need to get rebuilt, too. 

That's about as far as I have gotten on Rosso thus far. I'd like to be able to drive her to a meet that hopefully will still happen at the end of this month, so I at least will be working on the reliability aspects of her.

Benefits of AACA Membership.

I’m overwhelmed just reading this. I need to take a break.

• Haha 1

I finally got her running correctly and stopping correctly...today, she got her tags!

So, I shared this on Facebook, but not everyone is on that and I feel that it's important enough to share here as well. This is a bit of history of the car and my experience in taking "official" ownership.

I bought this car from a Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace add (can't remember which) from the suggestion of a friend who found it listed incorrectly. The man selling it was not the person on the title, who he informed me had passed away. The man who sold me the car kinda seemed like he was "done" with it.

Here's the thing...when I got the title I looked at the name, and of course made sure it was signed, etc. Always curious, I looked up the address on Google Maps, and actually found a street view where I *think* you can see the car under a cover in  a carport. OK, so far, no big deal. Up until I went to go get the title transferred and make it legal to drive.

As I looked at the man's signature, I couldn't help but envision him. I don't know this man. I have never met him. But his signature...it told me a story. I don't know if it's true, but this is the story it told me: he was an elderly man who came across a neat little red Maserati convertible that looked like a fun little ride. He bought the car and enjoyed it for a time, until it started to need more work from sitting. Then, I could tell he probably had Parkinson's as his writing was shaky, so he probably couldn't drive it anymore and had to sell it. It looked painful for him to sign...to let go. Like I said, I have no clue if that is really the case, but I truly hope that part of Doyle is riding in the car and enjoying it with me.

And at the suggestion of my mom, I have decided to name the car after him. I typically would never name a car after a male, but in this case, it just seems fitting. So, Doyle it is!

A very nice story. Doyle certainly is far better than ‘Christine’.

• Like 1

Took Doyle out again yesterday on a slightly longer cruise. Did really well. I decided to do a short pull on the highway in 4th from about 40mph. I was doing 80 in short order and it was effortless! I had to let out! I did find that the Getrag absolutely does NOT like to be rough-housed. I thought I messed up and fragged it when I went to shift to 5th...and it wasn't there! Well, more accurately, I overshot the gate and tried to engage a ghost gear! LOL I am used to the New Process transmissions that have a hard stop and you CAN'T overshoot 5th. After I calmed down, 5th was still right where I left it! LOL

I was going to possibly go to a car meet in Eastern Washington this weekend, but I am not feeling confident enough to drive myself 4 hours 1 way across a mountain pass quite yet, so, I am staying home. :(

On 7/24/2020 at 2:52 PM, Nile said:

Hey Reaper. -  I'm wondering if your shift cable connections are tight enough and/or adjusted properly as my Getrag handles my ham-handed high rev gear changes with aplomb. https://vimeo.com/440180904 and https://vimeo.com/440180182 .  Another advantage of the 16v is the sound!  -  Nile

I'll have to take a look, but it certainly acts like the synchro is just DONE. I can double clutch it and it makes a *little* bit of difference, but it STILL won't go in either 3rd or 4th smoothly. And I have also missed 5th simply because I am used to a hard stop to the side whereas this doesn't seem like there is one.

BTW, nice driving! Did you win again this year?

Thanks for your kind comment.  Got 4th.

• Like 1