1932 Buick 50 Project-Ongoing Assistance Needed

kps529

My father and I are getting his 1932 Buick Series 50 more road ready then its been in years. We are taking on the front end (very shaky up there!) as well as a pretty big leak out the rear of the transmission.

He is the second owner, having bought it in the 1960s. its been on and off the road since then.

I look forward to updating you all on this as we go.

Below is a pic from around the time he first got it to a recent one of me behind the wheel.

371500142_024(3).thumb.jpg.9cd0b65a2267ff966caf3b36ecd87614.jpg223336438_Kevin_1932Buick.thumb.jpg.33da0505cb127ddf44deb3e699b41eac.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

ok: First Question:

My father has a copy of the 1932 Specifications manual. Has anyone made a downloadable PDF of it? Would like to have one in front of me at the same time as him. If not I'll go ahead and buy a second print copy.

Kevin

Welcome to the forum!! It's a great place to learn about the early Buicks.  I've been working on my 1932 58 for  25 years.  I've got a junk pile of well used parts that i've collected over the years.  I am happy to help provide what I can to other 32 Buick owners.  

I keep 2 copies of the spec manual handy; one at my computer the other in the shop.  I would also recommend the master parts list 1916 to 1932.  For general info on 1932 Buicks, I find a reproduction of the Buick Fact for 1932;  this book was for dealers and sales people.   Lots of fun info in this booklet.

We all love photos and like to help others.  Keep in touch 

Bob Engle

Thanks Bob, really appreciate it, i was surfing the forum last night and certainly you seem to be the '32 Buick guru! 

You mentioned some extra parts, might you have an ignition switch? We removed the original one and cannot get it back on in working order. See attached pic for the unit I am speaking of.

also: my father bought a spare engine a few years back, I do not think its from a series 50 though, the carb set up and other items are very different. Is there a way to tell series by the numbers cast on the engine?

Many thanks!

Kevin

IMG_4158[1].JPG

IMG_4159[1].JPG

I'll go through my switch parts and see if I have usable parts.  On the engine, you can tell the 50 series engines by looking at the water return tubes on top of the cylinder head.  The 50 series exits at the front of the head, the 60,80, and 90 series engines have a tube with risers from several places on the top of the cylinder head.  For other year engines you need the engine serial number found on the right side of the engine on a milled surface just above the distributor.  If you post this number, I can check against my reference book to tell what year your spare engine may be.  Many parts from other years are interchangeable with your 32.  That is where the parts manuals come in handy to check for different part numbers.

I don't know that I would call myself a guru.  I've just accumulated lots of info from the real gurus on 32 'buicks.  

Bob Engle

I have parts for 3 switches.  I haven't cleaned any of the parts.  The top one in the photos, in my opinion, is the worst and the bottom is the best.  I think any of them will for satifactorily.

If it was for my car, I would send the metal cover and two terminal screws to a plater and have them chrome plated, or nickol if you prefer.

I would wire brush the terminal threads and chase the threads.  I would use stainless screws to attach the assembly to the column.

If you are interested in any of these parts send me a PM with contact and mail info.

Bob Engle

32 switch 1_1024x768.jpg

32 switch 2_1024x768.jpg

32 switch 3_1024x768.jpg

32 switch 4_1024x768.jpg

On 7/6/2020 at 4:12 PM, kps529 said:

Thanks Bob, really appreciate it, i was surfing the forum last night and certainly you seem to be the '32 Buick guru! 

You mentioned some extra parts, might you have an ignition switch? We removed the original one and cannot get it back on in working order. See attached pic for the unit I am speaking of.

also: my father bought a spare engine a few years back, I do not think its from a series 50 though, the carb set up and other items are very different. Is there a way to tell series by the numbers cast on the engine?

Many thanks!

Kevin

IMG_4158[1].JPG

IMG_4159[1].JPG

when you say you cant get it back in working order what is the problem. Just this weekend i struggled with mine for an hour and then figured it out. I was putting the inside piece in incorrectly. The "slotted" side goes over the "pin" in the case and then "hole" goes over the L shaped area of the case and the ignition switch pin goes in it. It is rather tedious and took several tries to get it right. but i left the hot lead hooked up and then tested the other lead with a multi meter until I was sure I got it done correctly.

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)

Bob and Brian,

Thank you both, yup, definitely had it on backwards....dang. I just assumed the "L" groove would be the same as the "L" slot.

May have messed up my dad's original one so will follow up with you Bob on a backup/replacement.

Kevin

• 2 months later...

Hi all, haven’t worked in dads Buick much, today I was over there and looking at a spare engine he bought years ago, and took the carb off. It’s totally different then the one in the car. It’s a single barrel. Here are pictures of it on the engine and off. Any ideas? Maybe someone later swapped the carb -and the pipe connecting it to manifold?

59FF3E1C-0926-4CAC-99AC-50FC9DA9A402.jpeg

F8DF8262-DE7B-47F0-87C3-19E2AD8C264D.jpeg

BFB2D3B3-33C4-4E62-BA09-99BE0502D662.jpeg

I am guessing, that you have a two barrel carb as standard for the year 1932.  But some engines had a single barrel as in 1931, I am told.  The engine number should be able to tell you the year built of your spare engine.  We should be able to tell you the year, if you have the number.

John   

I noticed that on the engine photo, the carburetor is mounted backwards.  The air horn should face to the front.  It is missing all the linkage that controlled the heat control and throttle.  It surely looks like a 1931 carb.  There would be two venturi exiting the top of a 1932 carb.  Are you sure you don't have a complete 1931 engine?

Bob Engle

Hi all, thanks for the info so far, the only thing I know about the engine is it was pulled from a 1932 57 from someone who was making a hot rod. The engine number is 2793884, which I think (according to another post I saw on AACA)  falls within 1932 range.

Bob, I get the feeling someone just threw the carb on backwards at some point when it wasn’t running. The linkage was all on the wrong side and there is no way an air filter would fit on it

the one on my dads car has two barrels, so am thinking this isn’t even a good spare. Was hoping to find out what it is so I can sell/trade for 32 parts.

here are some more pics:

86F09269-E62E-460B-A655-7BDBD2CFFCC7.jpeg

E77B6913-8CD2-4F07-82A7-46CE6648CA66.jpeg