Sign in to follow this  
castillo49

1933 Olympic Engine Questions

Hello Everyone,

I am rebuilding the engine in my 33 Olympic.  The engine is out and on stands.   So far, I have encounter only 2 issues [sure more to come].  Any feedback would be appreciated.

1.  Gasoline heater.  The gasoline heater that connects the intake & exhaust manifolds has a hole in the tube that is inside the heater.  The other heater has the same problem ... holes and cracks.  The tubes seems to be pressed into the heaters and made of brass.  Am I right?  Can these tubes be pressed out and new ones be installed by a good machine shop?  Or are there things I should know?   Picture Enclosed of gasoline heaters.

2.  Air Fan.  The nut holding the fan wheel on the crank seems to be tighen by someone pounding it on with a screw driver sometime in the past.  It is tight, damaged and will not move.   Is this nut tighen clockwise or counter clockwise.  Do I need to cut this nut off without damaging the threads on the crank? I need to get this whole assembly off and over to Paul.  Any advise would be welcome.

Thank you in advance .....  Frank In California

33 Coupe Engine 028.JPG

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Frank,

Not sure about the heater holes. All the ones I've seen are '32 and earlier and they are a one piece aluminum casting, no sleeves inside. A good welder should be able to weld up the holes. Or someone may have a good spare heater you can buy, which might be less expensive than a welder or a machine shop cost.  

The nut comes off counter clockwise, same as the crank snout. I use a 3/4 inch drive large socket wrench from Harbor Freight. You might be able to get a  pipe wrench or c-clamp to grab the nut and then turn those with a bar through them. 

I've posted info and pix of the tools in the Club's website Q&A.

Paul

I have heard of a heat riser failing on another Olympic. A very competent Franklin mechanic had his Olympic backfire, then not run at all. After pulling his hair out, he realized that the backfire had blown out the heat riser tube. Franklin may have changed this design in 1933, because I haven't heard of it happening on earlier cars.

While not the end-all be-all of what came off the production line,.... I can't find anything in the drawing files that shows a sleeve inside the later gasoline heater casting.

Drawing # 46678 says Series 14 to 16. Drawing # 58248 is Ser. 16, 18 and 19 and seem externally the same, but the later drawing lists it as cast iron and does not show the top opening (intake manifold) being connected to the bottom opening (carburetor), no dotted lines to indicate a connection.  So maybe top and bottom were sleeved down through the exhaust passage ?????  

Anyway, Frank may be able to use any sidedraft engine gasoline heater and I'm sure there are spares of those around.  

Paul

Thanks guys for the information.   I am exploring the "heater problem" further with a visit to several machine shops.  Going to see if the holes/breaks can be repaired.   Will keep you posted.

Frank