2021 & Remaining 2020 AACA National Actitivies Calendar

Guest Mark McAlpine

Guest Mark McAlpine

Updated as of 15 October 2021

Provided below is the AACA National Activities Calendar for the remainder of 2020 and all of 2021.  The 2021 calendar is very robust with 10 Nationals/Grand Nationals scheduled and 7, possibly 8 tours (depending on whether the 2020 Central Division Tour is held this year as planned or needs to be rescheduled to 2021).

The dates of the 2021 Glidden Tour have been set for 12-17 September 2021 in Saratoga Springs, NY.  As you know, the 2020 Glidden Tour had to be cancelled, so the VMCCA and AACA worked together to reschedule this year's cancelled tour to the same location & time next year (and will commemorate the tour's 75th anniversary, albeit not consecutive now).  Glidden Tour Chairperson Bill Preston will release more details about the 2021 Glidden Tour as they become available.  Thank you for your patience and understanding.

The cancelled 2020 Southeastern Divisional Tour has been rescheduled for 18-22 October 2021 and is being held in the same location (and same time of year):  Broken Arrow, OK.

Please note that there is still room on the calendar in late February or early March 2021 for a Winter Nationals.  I realize this doesn’t leave much time for planning, but if a region or chapter in either the Southeastern or Western Divisions would like to host the 2021 Winter Nationals, please contact me as soon as possible.  (The dates, location, and host hotel for the show would need to be determined before October in order for the show to receive approval from the AACA Board of Directors.)  I, AACA Headquarters, and an assigned Liaison Director will work with you to ensure you hold a fun and successful show.

Finally, we’re still fleshing out the 2022-2025 activities calendars.  Please ask your region or chapter to consider hosting a future AACA Nationals or Tour.  We can’t hold these events unless someone steps forward to host them.  The AACA Board of Directors and Headquarters Staff is here to assist you in any way we can and will not let you fail.  Whether you decide to host a show or a tour, we can provide a Registration Chairperson and help design your dash plaque, ad for the Antique Automobile magazine, and information brochure, etc.  If necessary, AACA HQ can also front you seed money for deposits.  (This needs to be repaid after the event.)  If you decide to host a Nationals, we also can provide a Chief Judge.  Additionally, an AACA National Director will be assigned as a Liaison Director to personally assist and advise you as you plan and prepare for the activity, and to coordinate any support you need from AACA Headquarters.

Thank you very much for your consideration!  Please contact me if you have any questions, want more information, or just want to talk about old cars.

2020 AACA National Activities Calendar  (changes noted in red font)

21-22 August:         Grand Nationals                        Gettysburg, PA                 AACA National

9-10 October:         Eastern Fall Nationals             Hershey, PA                       Hershey Region    CANCELLED

(show only—no swap meet)

19-23 October:      Central Divisional Tour           Broken Arrow, OK            Tulsa Region    CANCELLED

6-7 November        Special Fall Nationals              Gettysburg, PA                 AACA National    ADDED

2021 AACA National Activities Calendar 

11-13 February:      AACA Annual Convention         Philadelphia, PA               AACA National

17-20 March:          Special Winter Nationals           San Juan, PR                      Puerto Rico Region

19 March:                 Special Grand Nationals             San Juan, PR                      Puerto Rico Region

8-10 April:               Southeastern Spring Nationals Concord, NC                     Hornets Nest Region

19-22 April:             Southeastern Divisional Tour   Howey in the Hills, FL    Kingdom of the Sun Chapter

6-8 May:                  Central Spring Nationals             Auburn, IN                           AACA National

20-25 May:             Founders Tour                                 Davis, WV                            Mountain State Classics Region

2-5 June:                 Eastern Divisional Tour               Eastern Shore of MD       Eastern Shore Region &

Bay County Region

17-19 June:             Eastern Spring Nationals           Saratoga Springs, NY      Saratoga Region

11-16 July:               Vintage Tour                                    Lock Haven/                          Bob Giles, Tom Roberts,  and

Wellsboro                              AACA National

22-24 July:             Grand Nationals                             New Ulm, MN                        Minnesota Region

13-14 August:       Western Fall Nationals                Loveland, CO                        Poudre Valley Region

9-11 September:    Southeastern Fall Nationals   Greenville, SC                      South Carolina Region

12-17 September:    Revival AAA Glidden Tour    Saratoga Springs, NY        VMCCA

6-9 October:           Eastern Fall Nationals               Hershey, PA                           Hershey Region

18-22 October:     Southeastern Divisional Tour   Broken Arrow, OK             Tulsa Region

4-6 November:      Special Western Nationals     Phoenix, AZ                            Phoenix Region

7-10 November:    Western Divisional Tour          Phoenix, AZ                            Phoenix Region

Edited by Mark McAlpine
Updated calendars as of 1 Sep 2020. Updated calendars again on 15 Oct 2020. (see edit history)

Guest Mark McAlpine
6 hours ago, AnniesSS said:

Fingers crossed things start to get better and no more events are cancelled :)

My fingers are crossed, too, Annie!  Thanks!  I hope to see you in Allentown and Hershey.  Until then, be safe and stay healthy!

• 2 weeks later...

Tourers!

I sent my Tour Application out yesterday to Joanna Cooper for the Oklahoma Tour. 

I should have  waited a day, since I already got hotel reservations too????  

The Tour has been canceled!! YES CANCELED!!

Please pass this around. By the way, I don't understand how you can have a Meet anywhere this year and not have at least one Tour. Terrible!!!

Wayne

1 hour ago, R W Burgess said:

Please pass this around. By the way, I don't understand how you can have a Meet anywhere this year and not have at least one Tour. Terrible!!!

Wayne it is my understanding that the tour was cancelled by headquarters without the knowledge of Joanna or the local tour chairman.  How can you have a Grand National and a  Hershey car show and  not allow a local tour that will provably attract less than 50 cars and a max of 150 people, especially since the tour is 90 days out.  My opinion is that headquarters could give a sh-- about tours and didn't want to be bothered.  We have become a "Shiny Car" club.  Just my opinions, been wrong before.

• Like 1

The Hershey Hangover tour is still on.  Three days of touring the Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday after the Hershey show.  Sponsored by Snappers Brass and Gas AACA and Susquehanna Valley Regional Group HCCA.  For pre-1916 cars.  Have to be a member of AACA or HCCA, not necessarily both, not necessarily in either Snappers or SVRG.

• Like 1

Guest Mark McAlpine
21 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Wayne it is my understanding that the tour was cancelled by headquarters without the knowledge of Joanna or the local tour chairman.  How can you have a Grand National and a  Hershey car show and  not allow a local tour that will provably attract less than 50 cars and a max of 150 people, especially since the tour is 90 days out.  My opinion is that headquarters could give a sh-- about tours and didn't want to be bothered.  We have become a "Shiny Car" club.  Just my opinions, been wrong before.

Hello Wayne and Robert,

AACA HQ did not/not cancel the Central Division Tour.  I also point out that the tour is not officially cancelled yet (although that's the recommendation of its Chairperson)--the host region (the Tulsa Region) Board of Directors is meeting this Tuesday, July 28, to vote on the decision.  I have been in close communication with the Tour Chairperson--David Turner--and, like all good chairpersons (and David is a great one), for the last few months, while working incredibly hard to keep the tour on track, David has been exploring his options in case the situation in Oklahoma forced the cancellation of the tour.  Unfortunately, most of the places the tour was going to visit either cancelled or have imposed unworkable restrictions (e.g., only allowing six people inside at a time).  David has delayed the decision as long as he could--August 1st was going to be the decision point for the region as to whether the tour was still viable.  Unfortunately, I inadvertently accelerated a things a week by speaking with David to see how the things were going--I wanted to know because we hadn't communicated in a month or so, plus I needed info to meet the publication deadline for the 2021 AACA calendar (I needed to know if the tour was going to be cancelled and if it was going to be added to the 2021 calendar).

As to Robert's aggressive and unfair statement that "headquarters could give a sh-- about tours and doesn't want to be bothered. . .", nothing could be further from the truth.  In the 18 months that I've been VP for National Activities I've worked hard to try to secure host regions for our tours.  Tours and shows are equally important to our members, to our club, to our HQ, and to our Board of Directors--neither takes priority over the other.

Ref Wayne's question about how we can hold a show anywhere in what's left of this year but might not be able to hold a tour, here's a brief three-part explanation:

- The decision on each national activity this year was made by the host region and was dependent upon the conditions in their area, the state and local directives in place, and the availability of the planned location/facility for the show, host hotel, and attractions/facilities to be visited--all of which are out of the control of the host region and/or national club.  Although the outcome was the same for most of this year's national (and local) activities--cancellation--each decision was made independently.  Because of the financial commitments (deposits) associated with any activity, these decisions have to be made months out--they can't be made a week or two before the activity.

- Part of the explanation is simple numbers:  we had 6 tours & 8 national shows scheduled this year with 2 of those tours & 3 of those shows scheduled in the last three months of the national activities calendar.  As conditions throughout the country deteriorated over the year and event after event had to be cancelled, we were hopeful that conditions would improve and we'd be able to hold the last two remaining shows (Allentown--now Gettysburg--and Hershey) and one tour (Central Div Tour in Broken Arrow, OK).  As mentioned above, David Turner has worked hard to try to save the tour.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that's possible.

- Not that rescheduling any national activity at the last minute is easy, but moving a show is a slightly easier than moving a tour.  The fact that Steve Moskowitz and Tom Cox were able to find a new location for the Grand Nationals on a month's notice is just short of miraculous.  Finding somewhere for a national tour with less than 3 months notice, especially in our current national pandemic situation, is impossible.

- Additionally, while not part of the explanation, many members have posted comments on the AACA Forum and some have contacted me and some of the chairpersons for the various national activities to say they didn't care if the activity was going to be held, they were not going to participate because they either believed they or a family member were in a high risk group or felt it was too soon to hold a large national activity and didn't want to risk the exposure.  If you haven't done so, talk to any of the Chairpersons or Registration Chairpersons for the cancelled national activities and ask them how many registered participants cancelled because of the pandemic, and how many other people said they either weren't going to register because of the pandemic or were going to wait until the last minute to register to see how things looked.  (Ask Joanna Cooper how many vehicles were registered for the tour and then ask if it would've been worth the tour with that many vehicles registered.)

And now I'll quit being polite:  I'm tired of hearing touring fans whine about the AACA not caring about tours.  That's false and insulting.  I and my fellow directors have worked hard to try finding regions/chapters to host future tours (and shows).  Unfortunately, my experience has been that many members enjoy tours, but few of them want to actually step forward and host one.  This year I wrote every touring region in our club about hosting a national tour sometime in the next five years (especially next year's Glidden Tour), and most didn't even bother responding to my appeal and those few that did said no.  (You'll note that several of our tours in recent years have been hosted by individuals--not regions or chapters:  for example, the 2018 Reliability Tour, the 2019 Vintage Tour, the 2020 Reliability--now rescheduled as the 2021 Vintage Tour--were planned & hosted by individuals.  If it wasn't for these dedicated individuals we probably wouldn't have been able to hold & enjoy these tours.)

Robert:  First question:  What region do you belong to and when's the last time it hosted a tour.  Second question:  When's the last time you chaired one?  Third question:  When can I expect your region's application to host a national tour and are you going to serve as its Chairperson?  You're obviously pretty passionate about this, so I look forward to you stepping up to plate and hosting a tour--we could use your experience and leadership.  I'm happy to talk to you anytime of mutual convenience to go over the dates available in 2022-2025 and the support AACA HQ can provide. 

To everyone disappointed about the cancellation of most of our national activities this year:  I, my fellow national directors, and the HQ staff share your disappointment and frustration.  Here's to a considerably better 2021!  However, we all need to keep in mind that as disappointed as we are about the cancellation of many car club activities (and most other public activities) this year, we need to put it perspective.  Our disappointment pales in comparison to the many people who experienced the loss of their jobs or significantly reduced income, personally suffered from coronavirus or watched a family member or friend fight through it, and who died or lost a family member or friend to the virus (or any other disease or accident).  If the worst thing we have to complain about is the cancellation of a car show or car tour, then we're doing pretty good and should be thankful--I know I am.

To all those regions and chapters who have hosted a national activity in recent years, those that have stepped forward to host a national activity in the coming five years, and those members who have volunteered to serve as the chairpersons for these events--thank you all very much for holding these events for the rest of us to enjoy!  We couldn't hold these activities if it wasn't for your leadership and support.  Thank you for what you do for our club and our hobby.

Be safe and stay healthy! 

53 minutes ago, Mark McAlpine said:

The Tulsa Region Board of Directors is meeting this Tuesday, July 28, to vote on the decision.  I have been in close communication with the Tour Chairperson--David Turner--and, like all good chairpersons (and David is a great one), for the last few months, while working incredibly hard to keep the tour on track, David has been exploring his options in case the situation in Oklahoma forced the cancellation of the tour.  

Mark, the pertinent answer to this issue is quoted above. 'I just spoke to David today and a decision will be made on Tuesday. My original post happened because the decision was up in the air. Communication would have prevented my post. My family has not toured much this year although we are doing so locally as much as we can. We are ready to go to Oklahoma regardless of the covid issues.

I don't have an answer for why regions don't step up to the plate for hosting AACA tours. I have hosted one myself with minimum help, but you do need a leader and hotel/banquet facilities to make large ones work. Because of this I have personally joined 2 other touring regions to widen my opportunities. One of those clubs has canceled a tour too for October.

So, please communicate with the members when there may be issues like this, so we can plan our trips without disruption.

Thanks,

Wayne

Gentlemen,  gentlemen,  gentlemen... I've never liked that much vinegar in my cake,  but to each their own!

Having chaired eight national meets and two tours over the last decade, along with tons of help from my region's membership, I have to say we've always received encouragement and support from the national office and board both for meets and tours.  Come to think of it, much of the wisdom I've received came from people like Wayne and Mark.  I've met many wonderful people showing,  judging, and touring and I'm thankful for each of them.

I perfectly understand the tension that Covid and a multitude of other things is placing on all of us. I spent four decades dealing with such things in my professional life.  Now is not the time to turn on each other, get angry, or presume that the  negative rumors are true.  My plan for when we get beyond these trying times is to enjoy our hobby even more!

• Like 2

Guest Mark McAlpine

The bottom line is we’ll all be disappointed if the tour is cancelled.  (Marion & I had planned to go as “hoppers.”) 

I'll repeat what I said in my first response:  if this is the worst we have to complain about considering everything else going on in our country this year, then we should count ourselves as fortunate.

Best wishes, Wayne.  Be safe and stay healthy.

Edited by Mark McAlpine
Condensed response (see edit history)

Guest Mark McAlpine

Regrettably, the Tulsa Region Board of Directors has been forced to cancel the 2020 Central Divisional Tour scheduled for 19-23 Oct 2020 in Broken Arrow, OK.  Two of their tour stop venues, three lunch venues, and a banquet caterer cancelled due to the ongoing pandemic, and several other tour stops imposed severe restrictions on the number of people who could visit.  While the cancellation is disappointing for many reasons, the decision to cancel is understandable and really the only decision that could be made under the circumstances.

The Tulsa Region is looking at possibly rescheduling the tour to next October next year, and will make its decision in mid-September.  Check the AACA Forum in mid-to-late September for an update.

My sincere thanks to Tour Chairperson David Turner and the entire Tulsa Region for all their efforts to plan & organize this year's tour and for everything they did to try to keep the tour on track.

Here's to 2021 being a considerably better year for our club and hobby!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mark McAlpine

Great news:  the VMCCA and 2020 (now 2021) Glidden Tour Chairperson Bill Preston have announced that this year's cancelled 75th Anniversary Revival AAA Glidden Tour® has been rescheduled to 12-17 September 2021 in Saratoga Springs, NY (the same beautiful location where this year's tour was going to be held).  More information will be provided as the details are locked down, but most, if not all, of the tour route is expected to be remain the same as this year's planned route.  Kudos to Bill for his efforts to reschedule the tour!

And, yes, we realize the arrival date for the 2021 Glidden Tour is the day after the Southeastern Fall Nationals in Greenville, SC (9-11 September 2021).  Unfortunately, it could not be avoided--that's when the preferred host hotel was available. 

More details will be posted here in the AACA Forum (under "2021 Glidden Tour") over the coming months as Tour Chairperson Bill Preston solidifies them.

Great news Mark. So glad Bill will keep the tour on track. I commend him and his team for their dedication and "can do" spirit. 

Terry

Guest Mark McAlpine
24 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

Great news Mark. So glad Bill will keep the tour on track. I commend him and his team for their dedication and "can do" spirit. 

Terry

I agree, Terry--Bill has been an outstanding Tour Chairperson.  I'm pleased that he was able to reschedule the tour for next year.  He put a lot of work into planning & organizing the 75th Anniversary Glidden Tour and deserves to see it through to its historic and fun conclusion. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Mark McAlpine
8 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Mark: Will the 10th Semi Annual AACA Sentimental Tour be a victim of the COVID-19 virus?  The site of that tour was given to the 2021 Founders Tour.  By 2022 will it all be over?

Hello Earl.  The next Sentimental Tour will be 2022 (keeping it on its normal schedule of being held in even-numbered years). 

I know you and others are disappointed that this year's Sentimental Tour had to be cancelled, but most of the vehicles eligible for the Sentimental Tour (1928-1958) are still eligible to participate in the 2021 Founders Tour (1932-1996).  This will keep both tours on their normal rotation, and we probably wouldn't have had a Founders Tour next year if we had rescheduled the cancelled Sentimental Tour.  (It also would've resulted in the Sentimental Tour being held in two consecutive years.)  I'm not sure omitting which tour would result in more people storming my house with pitchforks and fire, but the Board opted to stay with the normal rotation and, to allow more members to participate, schedule the tour that attracts the greater participation of the two tours.

Mark,  The question I have is, will you really find somebody to run the Sentimental Tour in 2022?  I've personally sold every one of the first nine, and the truncated 10th one as well.  I really had wanted to get that job done while I still could.  Unfortunately, my age is catching up with me, and I've had some severe medical problems in 2019 that have slowed me down.  I don't think I'll be in Philadelphia and I'm about out of arms to twist.  Nobody else has ever worked very hard to sell this tour, and so maybe you know what I'm thinking.

Earl

Guest Mark McAlpine

Hello Earl,

The Sentimental Tour will not die.  I am working hard to find host regions/activities for our all future shows and tours, and assure you we'll find a region/chapter to host the Sentimental Tour.  As you know, members who have participated in any of the past Sentimental Tours are highly enthusiastic about it.  I just need to find one of them to help communicate this enthusiasm to their fellow region/chapter members and take it hosting the tour.

As you know better than me, organizing the tour--any tour (except possibly the Glidden)--is less daunting than it seems, especially when we assign an AACA director experienced with touring to serve as the region or chapter's Liaison Director.  Like any project, we just a good leader and team to lead the effort. 

There will be a Sentimental Tour in 2022 Earl.  Stay healthy so you can serve as the experienced mentor and welcome all the newbies and returnees to the tour.  (And you can tell us all war stories about the first one.)

Best wishes--be safe and stay healthy.

On 9/24/2020 at 8:40 PM, Mark McAlpine said:

Hello Earl,

The Sentimental Tour will not die.  I am working hard to find host regions/activities for our all future shows and tours, and assure you we'll find a region/chapter to host the Sentimental Tour.  As you know, members who have participated in any of the past Sentimental Tours are highly enthusiastic about it.  I just need to find one of them to help communicate this enthusiasm to their fellow region/chapter members and take it hosting the tour.

As you know better than me, organizing the tour--any tour (except possibly the Glidden)--is less daunting than it seems, especially when we assign an AACA director experienced with touring to serve as the region or chapter's Liaison Director.  Like any project, we just a good leader and team to lead the effort. 

There will be a Sentimental Tour in 2022 Earl.  Stay healthy so you can serve as the experienced mentor and welcome all the newbies and returnees to the tour.  (And you can tell us all war stories about the first one.)

Best wishes--be safe and stay healthy.

Sounds good Mark.  One thing I'll give you, you are in my own mode as hard working, enthusiastic and a go-getter.  Each of the four original 2001 tours who are still doing the tour have all chaired one.  One had to drop out of the last tour because of illness.  I might be next, as I'm far off and getting a little gimpy.  Charley Frahlich did the last one, but he and I are both going to be 84 by 2022.  Only one has not.  He is an active tourer who has helped on at least one PA Glidden Tour.  I tried to get him to do this one, but he declined.  I seem to think there might be one more original who has done them all, but I might be wrong.

On 9/30/2020 at 8:44 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

I don't know how to edit anymore, so I'll have to start being more careful typing.  Above I meant to say "four original tourists"............................

Earl,

At the top right corner of all of your posts you should see three dots in a horizontal line. Click on those three dots and it brings up a menu that includes "edit". Click on the three dots, click on edit, and editing works just like it used to work, so you will be able to edit any of your posts that you want to edit. 

21 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Earl,

At the top right corner of all of your posts you should see three dots in a horizontal line. Click on those three dots and it brings up a menu that includes "edit". Click on the three dots, click on edit, and editing works just like it used to work, so you will be able to edit any of your posts that you want to edit. 

I had been toldl that, but when I quote I can't find those three dots.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Dynaflash8 said:

I had been toldl that, but when I quote I can't find those three dots.  Thanks.

Look at the top right corner of the white text box that comprises your post. Every single post should have those three dots there. If it is your post, clicking them will bring up the edit function as an option. If it is not your post, you will find the report button in that pop up menu.

15 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Look at the top right corner of the white text box that comprises your post. Every single post should have those three dots there. If it is your post, clicking them will bring up the edit function as an option. If it is not your post, you will find the report button in that pop up menu.

Anything to make things more difficult.  I tried again today when I answered your first message with no luck.

I just mispelled by running with and no togeter.  Let's see if I can find those three dots.  Okay I fixed that, BUT i HAD TO GO ALL THE WAY BACK UP TO MY INITIAL POST.  No, just consider if there were 205 posts and answers in this thing.  That is a REAL PAIN where the sun don't shine.