65 Riviera floor pan replacement

psychostang

Are there any owners of 65 Riviera's, who have replaced the rear under seat floor pan out there?  If so, did you have a shop do it and how much did it cost?  If you did it yourself, where did you get the sheetmetal from, and how much did it cost.  I'm trying to decide which route to go.

Do you have to replace the entire pan or can you isolate the rust and make smaller patch repairs?

Rust repair gets expensive and is very labor intensive, especially when there is so much fabrication involved because there are no stamped sheet metal available.

If you can do it yourself you can obviously save alot of out of pocket $, that is after you buy yourself a welding machine and all the other tools you will need.

As fas as the sheet metal goes, i would try my local body shop. They often have scrap body panels that they pay to recycle. Sometime you can find a decent door skin, hood or trunk lid (a fairly flat piece). These pieces are best to cut up and mold into the patch panels.

This is the route i went.

In Rochester, NY there is a good steel supplier. You should be able to find one in a city near you: https://smcmetalrochester.com/

I have a couple of 4' X 3' 20 gauge sheets of cold rolled steel that were about $30.  The guys in the warehouse are pretty friendly to walk-ins. They also do fabrication. Never used the service but I am sure they would work from a drawing.

Mine is called Murphy's steel "If I have it on hand I will never need it".

Bernie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...