Wanted: 80’s Skyhawk T Type

jglawnyc

It’s about time I finally get around to this bucket list item.  Im looking for a great condition 2nd generation 1980’s era Skyhawk T, notch or hatch.  Exhausted from a Reatta resto and the 65 Skylark is done, so now I want to get the one car I’ve always had a strange fascination for.  Fell in love in high school and college with this vehicle, so now is the time.  I’m hoping my Buick BCA brethren can come through.  Please get back to me if you can help.  

Many cars, once common and routine, have been

thought so common and routine that collectors have

overlooked them.  Other models, once very special

and rarely seen, are now common in collector circles.

For example, an excellent 1975 LeSabre 4-door hardtop--

a nice-looking car--is probably 100 times rarer now than

a 1975 LeSabre convertible.  Or try finding a 1973 Centurion

in anything other than the convertible body style.  There

are innumerable "lost" Buick models.  Yet the low-production

1953 and 1954 Skylarks are advertised by the dozen in any

given month. 

I'd say that any Skyhawk is in the once-common-now-rare

category.  They weren't cherished and saved.  There may

be a Skyhawk T-type around, but you may have to keep your

eyes out constantly for a few years to find a decent one.

Then again, one could turn up on any day.

I think that Craig's List is a good source to find models that

collectors overlook.  Such cars may still be in the hands of

the general public, and the public tends to advertise on that

service.  The search engine www.autotempest.com is a way

to search for a specific car on Craig's List all over the country

at once.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 4:12 AM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Many cars, once common and routine, have been

thought so common and routine that collectors have

overlooked them.  Other models, once very special

and rarely seen, are now common in collector circles.

For example, an excellent 1975 LeSabre 4-door hardtop--

a nice-looking car--is probably 100 times rarer now than

a 1975 LeSabre convertible.  Or try finding a 1973 Centurion

in anything other than the convertible body style.  There

are innumerable "lost" Buick models.

'Tis true.  We had a 61 Le Sabre 4 door sedan when I was a kid (Phoenix Beige with a white top).  The second most popular model.  Try finding one of those now.  It's hard enough to find a picture.

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)

“J Body Community” ?   I want in!  Is there an application form or membership committee to contact?  I have good credentials, BCA member, 65 Skylark, 91 Reatta, etc.  C’mon folks, this is my dream here.  😊.  Thanks Buick Racer!!!  Very close, not a T I think, nor a turbo (no hood bulge?)  Am I wrong for really loving the notchback? but slantback would be great too.  Great lead, tho Matt has me thinking twice about it.  Folks, I so appreciate the help of all of you car people out there.  During the deep worst of the pandemic, when it was science fiction-type quiet on the ppe littered streets of my beloved Brooklyn, NY, I’d get the occasional joy of some restless classic car owner driving their beautiful prize along the desolate avenues, and then get out for a spin around Bay Ridge in the Reatta.  We all know, respect, care for and love cars.  Thanks all.

5 hours ago, jglawnyc said:

“J Body Community” ?   I want in!  Is there an application form or membership committee to contact?  I have good credentials, BCA member, 65 Skylark, 91 Reatta, etc.  C’mon folks, this is my dream here.  😊

j-body.org is a shadow of what it was; everyone is on Facebook now. 

C3316A5B-FF2A-49AB-8205-4FBBCB831AE9.thumb.jpeg.53ff76d75eabe7b06c6c6a337bcbb0fd.jpeg

Nice!  Getting much closer.  I made a well thought out decision years ago to reject Facebook and stay as far away as possible.  I am constantly revisiting that decision.  The front end on the 87 is similar to my 91 Reatta, as you can see in that tiny box to the left.  I’ve dealt with headlight door opening issues before, but the look is great.  I’m excited that I may actually find my dream with all your help!

47 minutes ago, jglawnyc said:

Nice, actually looks like a T Type interior and turbo hood bulge...I may find a way to reach out to Facebook and inquire though I’m hoping to find one in great condition, well I can hope!

He says it runs, and the price is down to $1k 

Looks like his email address is on his website. http://www.michaelaccorsi.com/

Put a $500 Maaco paint job on it and drive it!

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)

I was curious about what Skyhawks might be out there.  In searching I came across this video link to three 1983 Buick promotional videos.  One's specifically for the Skyhawk lineup.  One's for the overall 1983 Buick line.  And the last is near-and-dear to my heart: the 1983 Buick wagon line.   One the wagon video, at about 2 mins in they have running chassis going along the highway without any bodies -- funny, silly and interesting to watch.

https://testdrivejunkie.com/1983-buick-skyhawk-manufacturer-promo/

Really doesn’t matter, she’s gonna be pampered and loved with the boost or not.  Prefer rarer and more highly optioned, but I’ll know on first sight.  I’m sure you understand how to folks like us, cars are about passion, especially Buick for me.  You can see the 65 Skylark in the background of that tiny pic to the left....saw one when I was 8 years old and the passion was immediate, got one nearly 30 years

later, right after 9/11, and poured a lot of attention into it...”Sky” is part of the family now.  That beautiful green 91 Reatta has its fun backstory too.  The Skyhawk T has been on my mind since the early 80’s ....OMG nearly 40 years.....you bet turbo really doesn’t matter! (but it would be nice). Thanks Alan for your hopeful question!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi folks, still looking for my Skyhawk!  I am keeping patient, but as I feel the car “antsyness” growing, in the interim I’m thinking of taking my little car fund and heading into the northeast winter getting a Cascada.  Love that little Buick too.  Any opines?