Ashtray light placement in '65 Riviera

Posted (edited)

I'm in the process of connecting a fader switch and have the AM radio detached so the wires are visible. One thing I noticed while dismantling all this is the ashtray light was just lying in the console (and I think the bulb is burned out) What does that clip connect to/where does it go so it presumably shines over the ashtray? It's in a tiny oval housing. 

I found an earlier post by Hans3 about this topic but mine doesn't look like that. And I had the lighter repaired at a repair shop and they put in a new after market lighter and there's no clip on it to attach the light anyway. I can see where there's a little space in the ashtray frame for the light to fit and the ashtray has tiny holes over where the light would go I believe.

About the fader switch — There is a plastic female connector (that's not connected to anything) that I can see with a blue wire (that is attached to a yellow wire) but it doesn't look like it would mate with the fader male connector. The mail connector looks too wide. Is that what I need to connect the fader to?

BTW — this car has a trunk light that works — the bulb was just missing. When you lower the trunk the light turns on and vice-versa.

Thanks

Edited by Parccent65
New information added. (see edit history)

I had the lighter repaired and the shop replaced it with an after market unit that doesn't have the slots to hold the light and I don't know what they did with the one that was there. I may just have to go without it unless I can find one. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/5/2020 at 2:14 PM, XframeFX said:

Does the '63 Riviera have the same ashtray light?

1st time doing details such as this.

John B.

John, I’m sure you know the ashtray lighter has a red wire. Because of my lack of sense I started the wires sparking, smoldering, and a small flame popped up.

i got everything thing squared away in short ( no pun intended) order. I can’t tell you what to do or what not to do other than the red lighter wire is hot! 
turbinator

Thanks Turb, My battery is disconnected while it's in it's forever project state.

Also, thanks to above, I had several broken cigarette lighters and managed to combine into 1 good assembly. Only, I noticed that I used a retainer without the 2-slots. I will switch to one with slots. However, my harnesses only have a wire, using a glovebox or ignition switch light is not the same. Instead of doing what Daryl did, might be an excuse to stick a 3M LED Strip on the inside of the ashtray door with that loose wire. My car is a resto-mod anyway.

John B.

Those lighter elements have a built in fuse/resistor in them. Not suitable for an adapter for a cell phone charger etc. If that's your intent, it's better to install an after market element now. 

• Like 1

The safety is on the back of the lighter socket. As Ed mentioned, better to switch to a power point. I tried and gave up and simply re-installed lighter sockets when putting my interior back in. The console giving me grief made a 5V or 12Vdc power point a low priority.

The problem is trying to source a "22mm USB Panel Receptacle" on our shores. Search using key words in quotation and you'll find Chinese AliExpress as the main source of many varieties. Power points purchased here are all 1", too big to fit in the hole.

I kind of forgot about this. Maybe pursue this again? Or, someone might have a lead from a 'Normal Supplier' such as crutchfield.com and digikey.com?

image.png.2275d1a449dfad9068e291afa13ad4a8.png