Jaybokay

What's your favorite French car?

43 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

A automotive artist was building a "buck" to construct a duplicate of the Bugatti Atlantic Coupe, the one which was riveted along a central seam because the extreme lightweight metal used for the body (titanium?) would catch fire if welding was attempted.

The body was magnesium, and would ignite if one attempted to put a torch to it.  The light from burning magnesium is very intense and blinding.

Here is a rebuilt one on an original chassis.

35_Bugatti_1.jpg

35_Bugatti_2.jpg

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Postwar it's got to be a Renault Alpine or Renault Gordini. Both are France's equivelent to the Fiat Abarth.

Greg

downloadalpine.jpg

1075856-1024.jpg

Panhard e Levassor, before the Knight engine and Delauny Bellville before WWI. I've had a very early Panhard but have never even seen a Delauny Bellville.

Although I remember the Alpine from my SCCA days I can say I only owned one French car and that for a short time.  A Renault 16 that I got from my younger brother.  It was a PIA. No parts available, in bad shape. The frame where the engine mounted was broken away and went the gas was pressed the engine rocked.  Did not have it long. I do know that around here French cars did not have a good reputation.  That said some certainly are beautiful.

I totally forgot that Bugatti was French. For some reason I thought Italian. 

I'm pretty sure that's what threw me off. I saw one of the riveted cars a couple years ago mentioned above...I'll post some photos shortly, can't do it from my tablet.

Posted (edited)

2018 (7868)

2018 (7884)

2018 (7957)

2018 (7965)

All of these images are from the Saratoga Automobile Museum's Bugatti exhibit, which I photographed on September 6th, 2018. I took 150 photos, which are on my website here: https://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/automotivephotography/car-museum-trips/saratoga-bugatti/ However, it wasn't all Bugattis. They had some other cars on display for their auction, plus there was a Lamborghini convention going on outside, which I also photo documented, and is all there. 

Edited by Billy Kingsley (see edit history)

17 hours ago, Akstraw said:

Voisin

If we eliminate the Royale and the Atlantic then I would want this exact car.

Automobiles Voisin - V12 L | Super luxury cars, Classic cars ...

• Like 1

Or this one,  which is similar to the one  in the Rich collection.

gv214b.jpg

1 hour ago, bryankazmer said:

Ettore Bugatti was Italian, but moved to Alsace as a young man.

Which was actually in Germany when he moved there. It didn't revert to France until after WWI.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

This 1961 HK in NZ has a 361 in it.

IMG_0803 (1024x768).jpg

Looks like original paint, maybe.  I love that color, but I don't seem to see it often in photos. Cool to see a right hand drive version. Thanks for posting.

My son took this photo in NorCal. Many French movies featured this make.

6260BF3B-A6AF-4116-9DDA-2C80728A9AF4.jpeg

European cars with American engines were quite popular as the tax on engine displacement meant European engines were small as were most of the roads.. The Cad-Allards come to mind and the Cobra is another example. Unfortunately, in the early 60s "Baby Blue" was a popular color that never aged well. Facel-Vega had an arrangement with Chrysler for the big V-8s. And then there was the Facillia.

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

My son took this photo in NorCal. Many French movies featured this make.

6260BF3B-A6AF-4116-9DDA-2C80728A9AF4.jpeg

This is the "CHARLESTON" Edition of the Citroen Deux Chevaux (Two Horse - 2 Taxable Horsepower). Ours was a gray 1964 model 435 cc engine. The pictured model is actually, likely a "Big Block" 602 cc engined version, so technically a 3-CV, although never really called that. These are a magnificent, memorable, basic form or transportation, sometimes considered France's answer to the Model-T Ford, mass produced and affordable, almost impossible to kill.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JamesR said:

Looks like original paint, maybe.  I love that color, but I don't seem to see it often in photos. Cool to see a right hand drive version. Thanks for posting.

Re the paint it could be original. The current owner's father bought it in the 1970s.

As far as how many were right or left and drive I don't know. Back in the day all of the European luxury cars were right hand drive. I guess by the 1960s there was demand for them to be available with left hand drive.

Back in the early ‘80s I ran a yacht for a Manhattan attorney named Roy Cohn. I kept the yacht in Greenwich CT where he had a house with an amazing garage full of cars. He told me I could use any car as long as I washed it when I brought it back. There was a ‘35 Mercedes convertible, a ‘46 Rolls stretched limo, a ‘61 MK 2 Jag, a 1950 Jag XK 120 among several others but my favorite was a 1949 Delahaye Sloped back sedan.
This wasn’t the actual car but one like it.  

The car was amazing and a blast to drive!

image.jpeg

My father had an ID-19 (TOL was a DS-19) with four on the tree, would sing to you in top. Had no jack, just a jackstand: raise the car (air suspension), place the stand, lower car to raise wheel off ground. Typical French three bolt wheels. Single spoke steering wheel. Was a neat but strange car.

1280px-Bornholm_Rundt_2012_(2012-07-08),

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't have very much knowledge when it comes to French cars, but I recall reading once that when it comes to cars, "the French imitate no one, and no one imitates the French." Is there truth in that?

• Haha 1

consider the Deux Chevaux gearshift and the Citroen "twist the beer can" control - you may have it there

• Like 1

And the Citroen "mushroom" brake.

• Thanks 1

I remember when I was about Seventeen or so when a group of my friends and I were talking to a friend of one of the guys father’s. He was a what we all used to call a traveling salesman and he had a then(1968) new Citroen.  He impressed the heck out of us by raising and lowering the car and then as a finale would raise only one wheel to show how to change a tire.  First Citroen I ever saw close up.