37 Buick questions....

1937McBuick

Two things:

Since I started with a basket case bucket of junk.....   

First,   did the gas pedal linkage have a bellows,  slotted grommet,  or?  for a seal on the firewall/toe board?  Can't find any reproductions listed.

Secondly,  how was the map light above the radio turned on?  Or was that always on when the headlights were on?   Is what I call the "interior light" aka "dome light" in the center of the roof what they refer to as the "map light"?

Terminology can be tricky at times.

I'm not sure about the dome light. Either a little pull rod on the light itself or a little chrome slider switch on the door post... maybe...

The map light (center of dash) and the instrument lights have a switch. The handle hangs under the dash somewhere toward the center. Instruments one way, both the other.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

I do not think there is any seal for the accelerator pedal. 

On the bottom of the dash just to the left of the steering column there should be a small slide switch, slide to one side and the dash lights should come on. Slide it to the other side and the map light in the center of the dash should come on. 

The dome light (in the center of the headliner) should have a small slide switch mounted on the "B" pillar on the passenger side of the car. For a sedan, it is a few inches above the front seat back. I assume a coupe has a similar switch on the "B" pillar but I don't have any personal experience with that.  

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)

Ok,  yes the dome light is controlled by a small slide switch on the passenger side B pillar.   But I thought the map light might be as on the same circuit as well.

I didn't realize the gauge lights didn't illuminate with the headlight switch like "modern vehicles" when the headlights were turned on.  Goodness,  then the gauge lights  must not be auto dimming either.....lol.

Anyway,  is the slider switch that controls those two lights the same as the dome light switch,  ooops can't be,  dome would be single throw,  other switch double throw.   I think mine might have been replaced by a toggle switch.

Can someone provide a picture please.

Thanks so far!

Edited by 1937McBuick (see edit history)

IIRC it should be off in the middle, instruments to the left, and instruments plus map light to the right. It is a black toggle handle on a slider switch. I don't think any of it comes on unless the headlight switch is on.

I have seen this on Buicks, but only have a Pontiac to look at for the moment. It isn't the same switch, but its close. Delco-Remy 1404 for the 1937 Buick.

Run your hand along the lower edge of the dash, not quite at the center. Knob slides. It is pointing toward the floor.

DSCF4450.jpg

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On the Buick the switch is mounted 6 inches to the left of the Steering column.  On the Buick, it is instrument lights to the right, center off, and map light to the left. The original wiring puts this independent of the headlamp switch, so you need to remember to turn it off when you park the car. In the photo, please ignore the non-original switch panel and the added wiring and starter button but you can see the slide switch on the bottom of the dash rail, 6 inches to the left of the steering column.

DSC_0184.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks Matt.

Looks the same as the one Bloo posted a picture of.  Thank you guys.   I'm going to Google it and see if I can find one.

Nice gauge cluster and dash wood graining.   Who did the gauges?

If you can't find one, I may have an extra used one. A NOS one would be a better choice if you can find it.  If you can't find a NOS one I am sure that Dave Tacheny would have a used one available.

27 minutes ago, dibarlaw said:

I had to rebuild mine and turn a new plastic switch pin. A lot of work for a simple switch. But I can see how the long switch pin could be broken off.

Ya I see how its location leaves alot to be desired.  Prone to breakage from legs.   I might use a simple toggle switch instead.

• Thanks 1

DSCF1966.thumb.JPG.76ababccee1be20c7a29f6b200857ca9.JPG The actual actuator pin was broken off at the face. I had no Idea at the time how long it was to be so I just made it enough to stick through the dash and be felt. It needed to be 2X as long. I found another to rebuild and now it has the correct black tapered actuator pin.

• Like 5

I really dislike the switch setup. Since it wired directly to the main power circuit and the lights are so dim, it is very easy to leave it on and drain    the battey. On both my '38's I wired the switch feed to the tail lignt pole on the headlifgr switch. I always leave the switch in the 'dash'  position so they go on and off with the head / tail lights.

I do loose the map light function when the headlights are off, but I find the map light virtually uselss anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found another switch,  actually from the place that Bloo posted that googled picture from.   Supposedly fits some military style vehicles too.  POWDER RIVER ORDNANCE from Paso Pobles California.

Thanks again for the help guys.

• Like 1

There's one on eBay now.  These switches are fairly easy to restore, only a couple of tabs hold the outer casing on to the base.  

My '37 is wired like this:

Center position "off"

Slide to the left illuminates the instrument gauges and the clock 

Slide to the right to illuminate the map reader lamp

247846901_ScreenShot2020-07-19at5_31_26AM.thumb.png.8536b738bf01d692dca9b08384ad4a64.png

Ya Gary,  I saw that too.  Reproductions or NOS are cheaper and Dave Tacheny probably would be too.

Foreign exchange, shipping, brokerage, duties and taxes really add to the cost of importing parts to Canada.   

On 7/2/2020 at 10:56 PM, Bloo said:

IIRC it should be off in the middle, instruments to the left, and instruments plus map light to the right. It is a black toggle handle on a slider switch. I don't think any of it comes on unless the headlight switch is on.

I have seen this on Buicks, but only have a Pontiac to look at for the moment. It isn't the same switch, but its close. Delco-Remy 1404 for the 1937 Buick.

Run your hand along the lower edge of the dash, not quite at the center. Knob slides. It is pointing toward the floor.

DSCF4450.jpg

I actually ordered a couple of switches from Powder River Ordnance,   the business that this Google image was posted by.  They are NOS in original cardboard container with tin end caps,  that itself is kinda cool.   I found the guy is polite and easy to deal with.  If anyone needs a switch look him up.   Reasonable price.   

Thanks Bloo for posting the picture and everyone else who also replied with info.

• Like 2