1972 GS ID

kreed

I am a little confused about ID'ing a real 72 GS . This is the quote from the ID a gran sport section by D. Falk....

" The GS option in these two years were very similar in that an modified engine was part of the package, which offered an additional 10-15 hp over the standard engine. Once again the chromed air cleaner lid was included. Beginning with the '72 model the vin# included the letter "W" to indicate that the car was equipped with the optional Stage 1 engine. As in '70 there was no additional Stage 1 decals or emblems on the car. The GS option included the engine a well as the ride and handling package and posi rear axle with a 3.42 ratio. ". 

1. Was the stage 1 truly an option in 72  as stated or were all 72 GS " stage one "? If they weren't , is there a way to ID the additional 10-15 HP stated above by the engine code WA . What then was the engine code for the standard 455 non- GS 72's ? 

I am am sure there is  simple answer to this but wanted to know for sure as I am possibly going to look at "72 GS " tommorow and wanted to have my facts straight . Thanks in advance .

KReed

ROA 14549

• Like 1

No, the Stage 1 was not an actual “option” for the ’72 Riviera. The non GS VIN is, 4Y87”U”2H900001 up, with a block production code of “WF.” If it is truly a ’72 GS the VIN will be, 4Y87”W”2H …, and the production code will be “WA.” The code is located on the driver’s side, between the back two plugs.

302118675_009(2).thumb.jpg.e2e50ad0b34e94a335fac34fb3549d3e.jpg

I have talked to another member that is very familiar with these engines. The production codes stamped on the heads are the same for both engines, the only way to know if it is the higher HP engine, or head anyway, is to remove the heads and measure the valves.

Another quick item. The chrome air cleaner lid had no emblem or sticker on it from the factory. If it has one, it was added after the fact.

• Like 2

Right, the fifth digit in the vin is a W and it comes with posi and a chrome air cleaner lid, and the wa code engine has the bigger stage 1 exhaust valves. So, a GS is a stage 1 of a sort, but not quite equal to a Skylark GS Stage 1 of the same year.

108D2129-5892-4942-9D64-C1ED57A58E6E.jpeg

Edited by Rivdrivn
Yet more text (see edit history)

Yes, '67-'68 known as "Big Port" heads, BUT they have to be thoroughly checked over for cracks most likely in the valve spring area. 

BUT for the cost/expense to get the heads ported your better off just getting one of the MANY options readily available today that come out of the box with good flow numbers.

Tom T.

On 7/1/2020 at 11:41 PM, kreed said:

I am am sure there is  simple answer to this but wanted to know for sure as I am possibly going to look at "72 GS " tommorow and wanted to have my facts straight . Thanks in advance .

KReed

ROA 14549

Did you go look, and has a '72 GS been added to your garage?

No, decided to pass  after getting your info And looking  at pictures more closely - never talked to the dealer . Just too many things didnt add up - had GS badging , motor rebuilt , paint /rust suspect and interior needs redone  Perhaps a good project for someone . They have had it for a while since  snow was on the ground when photographed. I don’t need any major projects  at this stage of life!  Appreciate everyone’s help though- definitely learned something

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1306943/1972-buick-riviera-for-sale-in-ham-lake-minnesota-55304

KReed

ROA 14549

Actually loved the color Which is what attracted me to it in the first place though I am not sure what it is and whether it was an original color since I didn’t see data plate info . The overspray in the trunk  and bubbles in the trunk paint didn’t work for me personally but that’s fixable or just leave it alone and drive it!  My OCD won’t let me do that though. 
KReed

ROA 14549

• Like 1

My OCD won’t let me do that though.

That says a bunch for a lot of us. Mint green is a great color on that car. Then you see the brown carpet? What? Then when you see the trunk jambs it all makes sense. Seems to be a brown car from the factory. Good looking 20 footer, but the interior would need a complete color change, so even the things that weren't worn out would need redone. Project for sure.