Why Would Someone (I Assume This Is Not Factory) Mess Up A Thermostat Housing Like This?

Professor

Good Morning All,

I recently changed out my thermostat, belts, and all cooling system hoses and while removing my thermostat, I could not help but wonder why the heck someone would do something like this to a thermostat housing.  I assume that this is not factory.

A picture is worth a thousand words...

Joe

8D1C5C93-9208-4CF3-9087-6FE455970609.jpeg

Yes, the car came with a heater... in fact, the firewall insulator has what appears to be stamped cutouts for the heater hoses which makes me think that the heater was installed when the car was new.  If I recall correctly, heaters were dealer installed accessories in 1936.  Regardless, my heater does not appear to be a hack install; even the heater itself is Chrysler.

I found some images of heaters where the heat was piped off the thermostat housing, but on the engine side, not the radiator side.

I am baffled.  If you look at the fitting welded on, it is clearly antique, suggesting that this modification was done early in the car’s life.

Joe

Yes, it is the highest point on the engine.  I wonder if the factory did this or if an owner did it.  This seems like a bit of work just to bleed air out of an engine.  Regardless, I will keep it on the car because I think it looks... ummmmm... interesting?  Old?  LOL

Joe

I originally thought as above, bleed valve to remove air from the system but correct that it is on the wrong side of the thermostat.  Having worked on lots of old industrial, non-car machinery over the years, that looks like a typical installation for a gauge of some sort, particularly the valve used.  Could shut the valve to avoid leaks if the gauge failed and/or to change the gauge.  Could be, I suppose, for either temperature or, less likely, pressure.

Like Dave39MD said, it looks like some one installed a heater in the car and rather then buying the correct thermostat housing decide to do it cheaply.

Normally the heater does not put out as much heat with these cheap modifications compared to doing it the proper way.

Joe, what year and make car or truck is it on?

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

34 minutes ago, Vila said:

Joe, what year and make car or truck is it on?

6 hours ago, Joe West said:
6 hours ago, Joe West said:

Yes, the car came with a heater... in fact, the firewall insulator has what appears to be stamped cutouts for the heater hoses which makes me think that the heater was installed when the car was new.  If I recall correctly, heaters were dealer installed accessories in 1936.  Regardless, my heater does not appear to be a hack install; even the heater itself is Chrysler.

I would think it is a 1936 WPC product.  Perhaps even a Chrysler.

This is a shot in the dark but could it be for an electric Heater you plug in at night  to keep the engine warm? If so he could take the hose off in the warm weather. Are there any other valves that could be a return hose. 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

I'd just leave it in place, it is part of the Chrysler's history.

If it really bothers you you should be able to find another thermostat housing eventually.

Those tapered plug petcocks tend to leak, but then again it won't be under much pressure, maybe no pressure, is the cooling system at atmospheric?

It also would be a great conversation starter at car shows and an old-timer may come along and tell you exactly why its there and why its located where it is.

Good luck with the car.

• 6 months later...