Sign in to follow this  
Aaron65

1953 brake return spring

I was underneath my '53 for several hours yesterday adjusting brakes and flushing the lines, and I noticed that my brake pedal return spring has seen better days.  To save myself some running around needlessly, has anybody used a generic off-the-shelf spring before, or is this a specialty piece?  Thanks!

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Sometimes ya see an NOS on EBay, but a generic will do.  Put a short piece of sliced heater hose on the center curved piece with zip ties to keep it from banging around as you drive rough roads.

Brake pedal or E brake? (which is what I think Doug is talking about)

OOPS, sorry...  Look up Lamar Wilkins in Palmdale, CA.  He had a 53 parts car, IIRC.  661-478-0690

It's the brake pedal I'm talking about (I already have the zip tied heater hose on the e-brake).  :)

My car's a southern car and the spring hasn't given any signs of problems, but old springs are always potential problems in my experience, so I'm looking for a new one.  It sounds like I'll have to improvise.  

Posted (edited)

Home Depot has an assortment of springs in the specialty hardware section.  Lowe's does as well. Check Amazon. Oddly enough I needed a ball bearing for my manual transmission. I found the correct size on Amazon.

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

If you are fortunate enough to have an Ace hardware store nearby, I would look there. I’m always amazed at what they have in the hardware aisle that I need for these old cars.

• Like 1