Sign in to follow this  
lassejoens

Disc brake rattle on 67

Hi All

I have a 67 riviera with original front disc brakes (Bendix). I have installed new brake pads from OPGI. When I drive the car i can hear a rattling/knocking sound coming from the front of the car, in the passenger side. I took the front wheel of and noticed that the brake pads can move inside the caliper. When I turn the disk back and forth, it makes the same knocking sound every time the brake pad hits the caliper. Now my question is, is it possible to get anti-rattle clips or similar for a 67 Riviera?

Thanks
Lasse

Lasse,

I would have to look and see if there is any Disc Brake Hardware is listed for the 1967 - 1969 Riviera's, in an old catalog, and then if anyone has anything for it.....

In the meantime, those Disc Brake HUB & ROTORS are ABSOLUTELY 

Unobtainium....... You MUST get those garbage brake pads out of there........ You will rip up those Rotors to smithereens.........

I have +++ N.O.S. +++ Asbestos +++ Brake Pads --- and that is the only softest, smoooooothest, braking surface known to mankind ..... And

Especially +++ CRITICAL +++ for your car !!!!!!!!!

Yours, Craig....

1 hour ago, mobileparts said:

Lasse,

I would have to look and see if there is any Disc Brake Hardware is listed for the 1967 - 1969 Riviera's, in an old catalog, and then if anyone has anything for it.....

In the meantime, those Disc Brake HUB & ROTORS are ABSOLUTELY 

Unobtainium....... You MUST get those garbage brake pads out of there........ You will rip up those Rotors to smithereens.........

I have +++ N.O.S. +++ Asbestos +++ Brake Pads --- and that is the only softest, smoooooothest, braking surface known to mankind ..... And

Especially +++ CRITICAL +++ for your car !!!!!!!!!

Yours, Craig....

Good suggestion...you dont want semi-mets grinding those impossible to obtain rotors into razor blades. Send the pads back to OPGI and throw out their catalog.

Tom Mooney

• Like 3

5 hours ago, lassejoens said:

Hi All

I have a 67 riviera with original front disc brakes (Bendix). I have installed new brake pads from OPGI. When I drive the car i can hear a rattling/knocking sound coming from the front of the car, in the passenger side. I took the front wheel of and noticed that the brake pads can move inside the caliper. When I turn the disk back and forth, it makes the same knocking sound every time the brake pad hits the caliper. Now my question is, is it possible to get anti-rattle clips or similar for a 67 Riviera?

Thanks
Lasse

Not going into the lining material on the pads you used, I believe I can tell you how to fix your “rattle.”

The anti-vibration clips used on these calipers, you mentioned, are for the inboard pad only, not the outboard pad. It fits on the back of the pad, then holds pressure on the pad when installed into the caliper piston. I do not believe that is the cause of your rattle though.

The picture below should be very similar to the set-up you have. For these type calipers/pads, the “tabs” at the top are a loose fit out of the box. The are a couple ways to take care of what I think your rattle is. You can either tap the upper tabs down before you install the pad on the caliper, giving it a tight fit, then install it on the caliper. Or, once the pad is installed, as pictured below, you can pry up on the pad where the red arrow is, then using a small ball-peen hammer, tap the upper tab so it fits tight against the caliper. From what I have found the rattle is caused by the pad moving up and down in the caliper.

1175-front-2.thumb.jpg.d27b8d418e18f8810444c70193f0ed20.jpg

I used the picture above for clarity, but another thing I do is put some sort of “Disc Brake Quiet” on the back of the pads before installing on the caliper. That step primarily helps protect against squeaks rather than rattles though.