Sign in to follow this  
rockitdoc

'41 Connie Stuck Brake Drum

The right front brake on my '41 Continental sticks.  I would like to remove the drum to repair but cannot figure out how best to get it off.  I suspect springs and/or wheel cylinder are the culprits, but don't know.

Thanks, in advance, as usual.

Scott

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Back off the adjuster all of the way and with the bearings in place and secured, back up the car a few feet without using the brakes. This should free up the drum enough to enable you to remove it. If it doesn't drive forward the same amount and repeat the driving back and forth until the drum frees up.

39 minutes ago, 19tom40 said:

Back off the adjuster all of the way and with the bearings in place and secured, back up the car a few feet without using the brakes. This should free up the drum enough to enable you to remove it. If it doesn't drive forward the same amount and repeat the driving back and forth until the drum frees up.

"....bearings in place and secured,..." 

Not sure what you mean here.

S

58 minutes ago, 19tom40 said:

Bear with me, I am obviously not a 41 Connie expert.  How does one 'back off the adjuster'  Is the adjuster the large hex nut at the very top of the front backing plate?  I don't see any other obvious bits on the backing plate that could be the adjuster.  Unfortuneatly, my parts catalog isn't much help.

Posted (edited)

Jack up the wheel, if it spins freely the brake is not binding, no need to back off the adjusters. [ dont think its  the big nut] .Remove  hub cap, unscrew grease cap, remove split pin undo castle nut, wheel should shake off.  Im not sure on hydraulic brakes on Continentals  where the adjusters are, may be two smaller nuts bottom backing plate left and right like Ford.  May need bleeding or centralizing as well 

Edited by 38ShortopConv. (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, 38ShortopConv. said:

Jack up the wheel, if it spins freely the brake is not binding, no need to back off the adjusters. [ dont think its  the big nut] .Remove  hub cap, unscrew grease cap, remove split pin undo castle nut, wheel should shake off.  Im not sure on hydraulic brakes on Continentals  where the adjusters are, may be two smaller nuts bottom backing plate left and right like Ford.  May need bleeding or centralizing as well 

Wheel won't move.  That's the problem.  

Posted (edited)

Have you got drum nut off? Back off adjusters, bleed brake, use rubber hammer and brass drift, lumber,  knock on/ off wiggle .Use wheel for leverage.  Its not rockit science!

1 hour ago, 38ShortopConv. said:

Have you got drum nut off? Back off adjusters, bleed brake, use rubber hammer and brass drift, lumber,  knock on/ off wiggle. Its not rockit science!

Agreed.  Few things are when you know how to do it! 

What drum nut?

Where are adjusters?

Like I said, this is new to me. Not obvious.  Give me a 1960 BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando or BMW R90S and I can cruise.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott, Picture may help make adjuster more obvious.  Parts Manual is no help for drawings, but the Chassis and Parts manual does have many helpful diagrams, can find on ebay.  Or you can download the 2020 Parts price book on Boos-Herrel web site and Chris has many good diagrams there as well.

Not sure if this pic is front brake or not, may be a rear.  But for illustration, try to find the adjusting hole in the back of the brake backing plate behind the star wheel adjuster and using a brake adjusting tool- turn the adjuster so it becomes shorter, the the end of the brake shoes come closer together and make a smaller diameter- don't grab the drum so tight.  I am a '40 owner so can not be sure, but pay attention that the screw inside the adjuster may be left-hand thread so when you are turning the adjuster one tooth at a time by prying thru the back hole, you may be tightening instead of loosening.  Keep us informed how you do. Paul

1741424344_1936Zephmechbrakes_LI.jpg.4d2726d7f3e7b90d37d5bba41d3d594b.jpg

Looks like mechanical brakes!   No wheel cylinder.  Mechanical brakes can be touchy and not easy to balance out.  They had juice brakes in '40, not sure what this is!

Scott has hydraulic in 41 too. But I don't have a pic of a 41 brake. This is a pic of an adjuster (on mech & hyd both).  He keeps saying "I don't know what you mean;  How do you back off the adjuster?; Its not obvious; What are adjusters?   So just trying to help him out providing a visual of what the adjuster looks like that he needs to find and back off.

Posted (edited)

That looks like right rear mechanical brakes internal adjuster thru slot in backing plate  which has rubber bung. to slot Would not expect to see that type of adjuster on hyd. system. The 40 ford hyd. brakes on my 26 Ford T have external adjusters, bottom center of backing plate, two locking nuts with flat shafts sticking out for adjusters. thats what I would expect to see on a 41 Lincoln. Calling all 41  Lincoln  experts, chime in Mssr Bwatoe

I will look for a hole in the backing plate to see if the adjuster can be accessed that way.  I didn't see anything like this earlier, but wasn't looking for it.  It also appears from the photo that the adjuster is not at the bottom of the backing plate, but at an angle.  Is that correct?

Sure enough!  Access hole at the bottom of the backing plate.  I never would have found it under the crud if you guys hadn't told me it was there.  Many thanks!  Now, if I can get it to move and back off the shoes it will be a great day!  Lots of penetrating oil, coming up.

Using a brake adjusting tool, you should be able to loosen the brake adjustment by engaging the tool in one of the grooves in the start wheel and moving the end of the tool so that the star wheel teeth move down.

Here is a link to drum brake adjustment on utube.

5 hours ago, 19tom40 said:

Using a brake adjusting tool, you should be able to loosen the brake adjustment by engaging the tool in one of the grooves in the start wheel and moving the end of the tool so that the star wheel teeth move down.

Here is a link to drum brake adjustment on utube.

Got it!  Thanks.  FYI, the adjuster on the passenger side needs to be turned counterclockwise as you are looking at the adjuster from the front of the car (or up) to loosen the brake shoes, ie, move them away from the drum.  It took three clicks of the star wheel and the drum turns with just the slightest drag.  Thanks everyone for all your help!

Scott