1926 Buick Standard what spark plug to use ?????

I am changing spark plugs in a 1926 standard the plugs I pulled out are AC C77L they look to be in good shape other than some black carbon on them (Best way to clean them ??) I have 6 new autolite 3076 plugs  and 6 AC78S plugs. Opinions  on which ones to use or a totally different available plug would be used TIA Mike

Mike, 

They sell a spark plug cleaning tool that uses a bag with blasting powder in it.  Hook it to compressed air.  I would just use the plugs you have until they foul or you feel time has passed and they need to be changed.  I would use the extra plugs you have before I bought more new ones.  I do always keep one extra set at the house.  Champion 589 or W89D are also available.    Hugh

https://www.harborfreight.com/pneumatic-spark-plug-cleaner-32860.html?cid=paid_google|||32860&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&gclid=CjwKCAjw_-D3BRBIEiwAjVMy7Iy_S_ZC8lsLG2rysBUXBGbBepiWS_4-dSooh4htgvwnF4rseHd9jxoCNTUQAvD_BwE

9 hours ago, Hubert_25-25 said:

Mike, 

They sell a spark plug cleaning tool that uses a bag with blasting powder in it.  Hook it to compressed air.  I would just use the plugs you have until they foul or you feel time has passed and they need to be changed.  I would use the extra plugs you have before I bought more new ones.  I do always keep one extra set at the house.  Champion 589 or W89D are also available.    Hugh

https://www.harborfreight.com/pneumatic-spark-plug-cleaner-32860.html?cid=paid_google|||32860&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&gclid=CjwKCAjw_-D3BRBIEiwAjVMy7Iy_S_ZC8lsLG2rysBUXBGbBepiWS_4-dSooh4htgvwnF4rseHd9jxoCNTUQAvD_BwE

The Champion 589 are very expensive but well worth it because they don't carbon up. The cheap Autolite ones from NAPA fowl up in 10 minutes.

Edited by Morgan Wright (see edit history)

I use the same plugs in a 24 Chevy. The C77 were to cold and loaded up with carbon as did the Autolite 3076. The 78S are hotter and extended tip and they work well. The Autolite 3077 also is extended tip and works well but they may have discontinued it.

Dave

Yes Dave. When I searched for the longer 3077 plugs every supplier had them on their website. When I would order the response came back, "discontinued".

Like Hugh I am also using the 589 Champions.

Posted (edited)

I run 589’s on my 1923 and with the side cover in place. Requires right angle connectors and a slit right angle rubber boot too slipped over them to keep from shorting to the cover. 

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Terry Wiegand said:

Mr. Wright,

How can you say that? The 1918's still had the open valve train.  1919 was the first year that everything was covered.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Because the upper part of the plug is no different in length than the upper part of the Autolite.

Champion W89D vs Autolite 3076

DSCN3613.JPG

Edited by Morgan Wright
add photo (see edit history)

I have always used Autolite 3076 in  mine and have been very happy with them.They are readily available from my local Napa store and they also fit good under the Spark Plug Cover.