Buick35

Old wives tales for cars

As a teenager I rode with a friend from York, PA to Reading PA.  He had heard of a Corvette that was for sale for $500 because a guy had died in it and no one could get rid of the smell.  We inquired at the police station in Reading and were laughed at.  

Benefits of AACA Membership.

"My Grandfather had a Packard but it was a a Straight 12".

19 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

In a related vein:   "Such and Such has a Duesenberg in the Barn".

Spoiler:  It is ALWAYS a Buick,  and once in a century a guy like me gets lucky and its a Stutz.

"I remember these when they were new" says the 75 year old gent about the 90 year old car.  I always nod politely in agreement. 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Customer with a 90+ year old car.

Customer. "I have an all original car".

Me. "How do you know all the parts are original?"

Customer. "They were on it when I bought it."

Paul

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

I read an ad for a Mustang with a straight eight.

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

In a related vein:   "Such and Such has a Duesenberg in the Barn".

Spoiler:  It is ALWAYS a Buick,  and once in a century a guy like me gets lucky and its a Stutz.

Mike West went to see a Nash Metro once ...and the barn had 3 Peerlesses in it...a 1927, & 2 1932s...and a Metro. 

• Like 1

I'd believe anything about a Ford, will never buy one. Though I think Jim Wangers was the first to drop a "special" engine in a magazine car.

29 minutes ago, Buick35 said:

I read an ad for a Mustang with a straight eight.

An uninformed seller isn't exactly an old wives tale.

• Haha 1

I heard this from several people in the late-sixties early-seventies:

"If you take your Model A to the Ford dealer, he will swap it for a new car."

• Like 1

AMBATR - I think the bit about the battery and the concrete floor depends on whether it is damp (dew will form in a cool basement) And damp+impurities = conduction. Just parking in a garage after snow/rain/carwash is liable to drop water. Concrete also holds moisture unless epoxied or has a similar coating. Mine is probably safe since dry/polished but not about to test. After all if it absorbs oil, why not water ? Just won't leave a stain.

Wives, huh. How about the 1949 Ford parked in a home garage with only six miles on the odometer. After following up and doing the detective work, there you are standing in the garage with the old man. He says "Yep. I bought it just for my wife and drove it from the dealer to here. If you look close you can still see her lipstick on the tailpipe."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RansomEli said:

I heard this from several people in the late-sixties early-seventies:

"If you take your Model A to the Ford dealer, he will swap it for a new car."

Last week i saw a Model A on the Chevrolet dealers used car lot.  A good $8,000 car for $15,000.   A stucco finish paint job,

yellow wall tires.  They said they allowed $13,000 on trade in for a new Chevy.   I think it will be there for awhile.  

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Pfeil said:

I take that statement with a grain of salt

Did you hear the one about the guy with brown eyes talking with a guy with gains of salt all over his chest.

I saved this picture because everyone sitting there lied to me in my formative years.

Crackerbarrel.thumb.jpg.9a795af8029aeb4ad0b5cb72f8ce044f.jpg

They heard them third or fourth hand but had told them so many times they believed they had done it themselves.

46 minutes ago, padgett said:

AMBATR - I think the bit about the battery and the concrete floor depends on whether it is damp (dew will form in a cool basement) And damp+impurities = conduction. Just parking in a garage after snow/rain/carwash is liable to drop water. Concrete also holds moisture unless epoxied or has a similar coating. Mine is probably safe since dry/polished but not about to test. After all if it absorbs oil, why not water ? Just won't leave a stain.

How does the dampness defeat the plastic battery case?

• Thanks 1

There was a small outfit, somewhere in the midwest as I recall, that was building and selling exact replicas of 57 Chevys. They couldn't be  told from the real deal except for one very minor difference. They had small block MoPar engines. I believe GM had them shut down for various copyright and patent infringements. I think all of the cars were supposed to be recalled and crushed but they still show up at shows all the time

GM lawyers are not to be messed with. For years we had permission to post Reatta service and parts manuals that members had scanned. Then after the reorg, someone smelled a few pennies (Helm ?) and permission was revoked. Individuals can still post individual pages (for teaching purposes...). Today Helm only has the 89 Shop Manual available ($205) and none of the others or CDs.  90 is most needed. Fast lawyer could make a case that having been online for over a decade, had passed into public domain but Tom (web site owner) being a real person had no choice but to comply with the demand.

And then there was the "Custom Cloud" that RR took exception to.

Don't get me started on the evil uses of patents.

"How does the dampness defeat the plastic battery case? " It doesn't but any used wet cell battery gets covered by acidic detritus particularly when being charged (why modern cars have vent tubes) that provides some conductivity. It only takes a few microamps to discharge over months. This surface charge/acid mist is also what causes white sulphate to form on terminals.

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

Wives, huh. How about the 1949 Ford parked in a home garage with only six miles on the odometer. After following up and doing the detective work, there you are standing in the garage with the old man. He says "Yep. I bought it just for my wife and drove it from the dealer to here. If you look close you can still see her lipstick on the tailpipe."

Speaking of wives,mine wanted to join an exercise group to loose some weight. I told her not to because " Fat Wives Matter".

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, padgett said:

"How does the dampness defeat the plastic battery case? " It doesn't but any used wet cell battery gets covered by acidic detritus particularly when being charged (why modern cars have vent tubes) that provides some conductivity. It only takes a few microamps to discharge over months. This surface charge/acid mist is also what causes white sulphate to form on terminals.

And yet, the path from the positive terminal on the battery case to the negative terminal is still shorter than the path to the concrete and results in a MUCH faster discharge...

Why does this magic conductive detritus (especially on sealed batteries) only work downward and not across the case? Does gravity pull the electrons harder?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can buy a WWII Jeep still covered in cosmolene and in the crate it was shipped in if you can only make the right connections.

The negative battery cable can be smaller than the positive cable because  some the current has been used.

I have heard two different versions of this in the past few years.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, padgett said:

I'd believe anything about a Ford, will never buy one. Though I think Jim Wangers was the first to drop a "special" engine in a magazine car.

He didn't, Royal Pontiac did the prepping and the dropping. Talk about deceiving the public  C/D TEST RESULTS
Zero to 60 mph: 4.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 11.8 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.1 sec @ 115 mph   ON STREET TIRES!

a) Link is not there. Were you referring to this one ?

b) Jim and Ace had a long standing relationship ever since Jim raced (and won) with one of Ace's Cats in 1960. (Catalina)

c) AFAIR there were two '64 GTOs, a red one and a blue one. Both started out as "body in the aisle" and were delivered to Royal with 421s already in place (Jim could get anything he wanted. Times were different then and Pontiac was already a maverick). Can probably get the serial numbers/build sheets if anyone cares.

d) Know Milt was asked Ace then, he knew of the 421 cars but do not recall if he worked on them.

e) Am undecided whether to replace the QJ on my Judge with a tripower or dual quads. Have both. Playing with the new-to-me 89 Allante now. Decided against the XLR.