rustrodsrule

Wanting to add Oil Pressure gauge ??

Posted (edited)

On my sidedraft, 151, this way: from the Tee thru between the cylinders, to mech. gage under dash. Was already installed on car. Assume correct, seems to work OK~~~ 
EDIT: the valve oiler is blocked off. Yes, I will get a lower pressure gage !!
Sidenote: have always wondered if oil dipstick, as seen, is suppose to have a wood or plastic handle on it?

Franklin oil pressure gage 1.jpg

Franklin oil pressure gage 2.jpg

Edited by Franklin31 (see edit history)

Where Franklin 31 added a tee, or disconnect the feed line to the Bowel oiler at the tee under the oil pressure regulator and connect the gauge there.

FYI. It's ok to disconnect the Bowen oiler. Don't rely on it to oil the valve pads. Next to impossible to get the right flow of oil to all six pads. Some valve cages will get too much and leak down the cylinders and blow onto the exhaust manifold causing smoke and burned oil smell in the car. Others may not get enough oil. Best is to check every 500 to 800 miles by pinching the pads and see if they turn wet with oil around where your fingers are pressing. If they do that's enough oil. If they don't show wet then oil the pads by hand.

Paul 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Franklin31 said:

On my sidedraft, 151, this way: from the Tee thru between the cylinders, to mech. gage under dash. Was already installed on car. Assume correct, seems to work OK~~~ 
Sidenote: have always wondered if oil dipstick, as seen, is suppose to have a wood or plastic handle on it?

Franklin oil pressure gage 1.jpg

Franklin oil pressure gage 2.jpg

There never was a handle on the 151 dip sticks - just that skinny rod end. The 153 had a thicker, knurled steel handle, same as the one shown in the drawing for Series 13 and 14.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, rustrodsrule said:

My question where would be the best place to hook it up on the engine?  

Thanks  Mike

Thanks everyone.  I do not have a Bowen oiler.  I have a Bump oiler which I fill myself.  So still not sure where to hook up the oil line on the block for gauge??

Thanks again

Mike

41 minutes ago, rustrodsrule said:

Thanks everyone.  I do not have a Bowen oiler.  I have a Bump oiler which I fill myself.  So still not sure where to hook up the oil line on the block for gauge??

Thanks again

Mike

Coming out the side of the engine base is the oil line to feed the oil filter. Tee into that for the oil pressure gauge.

BTW, with their very wide bearings, Franklins engines don't need much oil pressure, just volume, which they have plenty of. So, on '29 and later engines don't panic if you see oil pressure readings that are much lower than more modern engines. That's why most Franklin owners don't bother with a oil pressure gauge and neither did Franklin except for 1930. Franklin preferred to use oil level gauges to make sure there was enough oil in the pan, which was a more likely problem to occur than oil pressure that was too low.    

In the Franklin world the valve pad "bump oilers" are known as "shake and bake" oilers because with today's smoother roads they rarely work. Relying on them may "bake" parts of the valve train. Best to shut it off at the metering needle and oil the pads by hand so that you are sure that each pad has the correct amount of oil. Only needs to be done about every 400- 500 miles on a '29 or earlier engine. About 800 miles on the '30 and later with their larger pads.

Paul   

Thanks Paul,  I have been driving it for 7 years with an oil gauge so I think I will continue to drive it with out one. My bump oiler works fine on the bumpy roads where I live I also pull the felts once a month and soak them.

Mike

Why, there is a reason they were only on 1930 cars - it was a mistake and they learned to not do that again, plus no one will ever buy your car either with a gauge reading low pressure in their face ?   As long as it is getting oil it is fine.

• Like 1

My 1931 Series 153 came with an oil pressure gauge - not connected to anything, just in the cluster, so I'll be looking for a King Seeley type gauge I think. Someone at some stage must have taken out the King Seeley Oil Level gauge and put in a 1930 pressure gauge.

Roger

Classic & Exotic Service, Inc. Has the correct gauge casting for the Franklin Oil & gas King Seeley gauges. They also have the correct red liquid for the gas gauge and the green liquid for the oil gauge. They aren't inexpensive but they are correct copies. Their info is below.

Bill

Classic & Exotic Service, Inc.

2032 Heide, Troy MI 48084

USA Phone: 1.248.269.9414

E-mail: Parts@classicandexotic.com

WWW: http://www.classicandexotic.com

• Like 3

A note on my previous post. Classic & Exotic Service, Inc. is going out of business and they are selling off all their stock. If your interested in any of their items, especially the Franklin items, you need to act now.

Bill

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, hook said:

A note on my previous post. Classic & Exotic Service, Inc. is going out of business and they are selling off all their stock. If your interested in any of their items, especially the Franklin items, you need to act now.

Bill

Wrong........While Brian did retire, Tim took over the restoration business. The parts department is up and running fine and is going to continue......and has recently added new items. Tim is a young guy, so I expect that it will continue for years to come. I have done business with Brian for decades, and have gotten to know Tim quite well........he is a first rate guy and very talented. I can't recommend him enough. Just google straight eight for the new web site selling the parts. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 7:46 AM, hook said:

Classic & Exotic Service, Inc. Has the correct gauge casting for the Franklin Oil & gas King Seeley gauges. They also have the correct red liquid for the gas gauge and the green liquid for the oil gauge. They aren't inexpensive but they are correct copies. Their info is below.

Bill

Classic & Exotic Service, Inc.

2032 Heide, Troy MI 48084

USA Phone: 1.248.269.9414

E-mail: Parts@classicandexotic.com

WWW: http://www.classicandexotic.com

Bill - so that one casting they have listed for the gas gauge is also the same casting needed for the oil gauge?

Roger

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, theKiwi said:

Bill - so that one casting they have listed for the gas gauge is also the same casting needed for the oil gauge?

Roger

No, Roger. Because the oil gauge has a pressure balancing line threaded  into the top of the gauge, it is very different than the gas gauge. Plus the two fastener tabs are located differently.

Picture of a Franklin gas level gauge on the left. Middle and right gauges are oil level gauges.

Paul

Gas, 2 oil gauges 2.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks Paul - I've found the oil gauge for 31 Franklin on their site too - twice the price of the gas gauge  - but at least they have it I guess.

I'll have to figure out what else is needed - the tube at least for each and the liquid for each.

Roger

Wrong........While Brian did retire, Tim took over the restoration business. The parts department is up and running fine and is going to continue......and has recently added new items. Tim is a young guy, so I expect that it will continue for years to come. I have done business with Brian for decades, and have gotten to know Tim quite well........he is a first rate guy and very talented. I can't recommend him enough. Just google straight eight for the new web site selling the parts. 

Endinmass, If that is correct, That's great news. I hope your right. Thanks

Bill

Bill.......We have a car there now......and I have been in the shop several times since it changed hands........it all still looks and operates the way it has been. 👍

As to Tim & Straight Eight - Great fellow and I cannot say enough good about him.  Tim has added so many parts too, but there tends to be thought among collectors that something expensive should sit around and wait forever for someone to buy it (it is expensive for the reason = it is hard to make or ...) - do Tim a favor and purchase the needed part(s) sooner than later.   straight-eight.com

• Like 1

John is correct, too many people assume a part available today will be available next year.......don't bet you wallet or you fun on it.........buy everything you want or need now..........tomorrow may be too late.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theKiwi said:

Thanks Paul - I've found the oil gauge for 31 Franklin on their site too - twice the price of the gas gauge  - but at least they have it I guess.

I'll have to figure out what else is needed - the tube at least for each and the liquid for each.

Roger

Roger,

You'll need the rubber cushions for the top and bottom of the glass tubes. The oil gauge top rubber cushion also seals the tube to the balance line's threaded fitting. You'll need the special solder-on brass tapered tubing connectors, and the special capillary tubing. Not the Ford repro size tubing, but the much smaller size tubing. It does make a difference in how well the gauges can preform. And properly calibrated they can be very accurate. Down to less than a pint for the oil gauge and within two quarts for the gas gauge. The correct size capillary tubing is available in  25 foot rolls from heating and plumbing supply houses. Both gauges use the same tubing.  

Paul

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Oh, and don't worry if you see the oil level drop some while driving. Like with your Ser. 11 oil level indicator, that's the oil being pumped and slung up in the engine base with higher rpms. Gauge is so sensitive you can watch it change slightly just by blipping the throttle.

Paul

• Like 1