Jaguar's Tribute to XK120 70th Anniversary

Here's a short, interesting video on Jaguar building a rally car to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the XK120.  The rally car looks good except for the "lamp pack" (rally lights), which I think look a bit goofy.  I'm not all that familiar with the Jaguar Marque, but I think the XK120 was introduced a bit before 1950, so this video may be a year or so old.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

Cool car, but I agree on the Lamp Pack. Perhaps they took their styling cue from CONTROL.

More is better, right? 😄

TunnelRam_GetSmart_Tiger.jpg.4cbab66b12c47ae5ea340a617b886081.jpg

• Haha 1

XK120 was introduced in 1949,  XK140 and 1954 and XK150 in 1958.   For most of the decade they put any American "sports car" to shame and all the other English ones too.   I'll leave Ferrari and Maserati out of it.

That blue thing in my avatar is a 140.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

Long distance lights that are too low just do not work, just throw giant shadows. Those do look a bit absurd. What happened to "form follows function" ?

Had quite a number in my Jag period,  always thought the XK-150 was the best of the XK line but then I like lotsa carbs (s model had triple SUs and 9:1 compression ) and roll up windows.

• Like 1

When I was 12 a hockey player from Brown University had one (XK120) in our neighborhood in Princeton NJ, and I loved it.  Maybe it was the skirts. which I'm partial to.

I remember him driving it in the snow with chains on the rear wheels.  (Nuts).

This is as close as I ever got to owning one.  I know it's not a 120, but it lights up my garage via motion censor and causes no mechanical problems.Jagsmall.jpg.91941077583a292dacfd44ad4fcf8e1a.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

When I was 12 a hockey player from Brown University had one (XK120) in our neighborhood in Princeton NJ, and I loved it.  Maybe it was the skirts. which I'm partial to.

Ummm, what skirts are you referencing ... the ones on the Jag or the ones on the hockey player's girl friends?  I've never been a fan of skirts on cars, but on girls ... yes!

Cheers,

Grog

11 hours ago, padgett said:

Long distance lights that are too low just do not work, just throw giant shadows. Those do look a bit absurd. What happened to "form follows function" ?

Had quite a number in my Jag period,  always thought the XK-150 was the best of the XK line but then I like lotsa carbs (s model had triple SUs and 9:1 compression ) and roll up windows.

When I was a kid we had a XK150 fixed head coupe that was slightly better than a parts car.   My dream as a teenager was to restore that as my HS car.  That was pipe dream.    I've spent a lot of time driving a 140MC and the car has interesting feel.  It is not very big,  but feels sturdy with lots of getup and go.    Combination of a big engine with a heavy chassis and no additional weight I would guess.

Would love to get a 150 one of these days.   Btw,  I know I'm jinxing myself,  but that 140 has about 10k miles on it in the last 40 years and it has never failed us.

IMG_6942.JPG

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I remember him driving it in the snow with chains on the rear wheels.  (Nuts).

This is as close as I ever got to owning one.  I know it's not a 120, but it lights up my garage via motion censor and causes no mechanical problems.Jagsmall.jpg.91941077583a292dacfd44ad4fcf8e1a.jpg

... And,

Probably doesn't leak quite as much as my former 1952 XK-120MC

12 hours ago, capngrog said:

Ummm, what skirts are you referencing ... the ones on the Jag or the ones on the hockey player's girl friends?  I've never been a fan of skirts on cars, but on girls ... yes!

Cheers,

Grog

I referred to the ones on the Jag, but I like them on both.  I have them on our 34 Ford and our 66 VW, and my wife occasionally.  

66 VW Bug.jpg

34 Ford Clean.jpg

To me skirts inhibit brake cooling which has always been a concern.

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 8:24 PM, capngrog said:

but on girls ... yes!

Better yet, Off .