vacuum starter linkage question,35 buick

My experience is with the 1941 only:

With the ignition switch off push the pedal to the floor once or twice.

Next:

For cold engine turn on ignition and depress accelerator half way. Engine starts.

For warm engine: turn on ignition and depress pedal to floor and hold until it starts.

Thanks,It works good.I'm debating whether or not to install an electric fuel pump because after not being started after a week or so it takes awhile to start.Greg

Posted (edited)

I have the same problem if I leave the car sitting for over 7 days. My solution is to prime the carburetor.

I remove the float sight screw from the side of the front carburetor and trickle in a few ounces of gasoline.

I use a plastic soda straw (end cut on an angle) as a funnel. I also place a rag around the carburetor while

pouring to catch the screw in case I drop it. I have not dropped it yet. The car starts easily.

This is much safer than pouring fuel down the throat of the carburetor.

Also to help starting I installed new 00 thickness positive and negative battery cables.

One other trick is to add a separate cable from the starter mounting bolt to the chassis. That 

improves its ground connection. I have not done that yet.

Ken Carr

Fuel Supply apparatus.JPG

Edited by Roadmaster71
added photo (see edit history)

i have an electrical fuel pump on my 40 buick with footpedal start. It starts great since fuel will be filling the floatchamber on ignition, but i now have the only issue that it looks like i have to much fuel pressure. hard to calibrate the carb and unburned fuel in exhaust

• 4 weeks later...