Arming Security System??

Tried arming security system on a 1989 reatta by following the info in the owners manual with no success.

With the drivers door open the security light blinks, and then locked the door using the door lock switch.

The security light stayed on, and then closed the door.

If the door handles are lifted should the alarm go off? cool.gif

The system may be working. Check the owners manual. Try this: With keys in hand ( you need them to turn alarm off) 1. roll down driver window 2. Arm the systems 3. close the door normally . 4. Reach in and open the door through the window, the alarm should go off. 5. You can turn it off by unlocking the door lock .

Shelby finally got it right. The horns will blow intermittently when the alarm is armed and the <span style="font-weight: bold">inside</span> door handle is opened.

Thus, if a thief breaks the door window and reaches in and pulls the inside door release, the alarm will sound.

The outside door handle will not set off the alarm.

The outside key lock will silence the alarm if a person opens the door from the inside after the alarm has been set. smile.gifsmile.gif

Padgett,

Isn't that the truth, I have yet to figure that one out. Now and then for no resason when I get out of the car the damn thing goes off. And that's both before and after I close the door. Has anyone figured out why the system goes off like that? I've gone through the FSM but can't find anything, I traced all the wiring down on the security system and everything is ship shape, no shorts no opens, go figure. confused.gif

There are some wierd thing that do go on with these alarm systems. If the doors are not all the way closed. They can go off . I am not sure if the adjustment of the door switch and alarm switches will solve it.

Also when you lift the handle the dome light should come on, as well as that COOL fiber optic light around the key hole. If the fiber doesn't would take the door panel off and stick it back in the little holder.

Let's look good out there.

For a while I actually thought that if I sat in the seat , locked the doors with the inside door switch, exited the vehicle and closed the door, the horn alarm would go off, because that is what would happen. If I was out of the vehicle, not on the seat, and locked the doors with the inside switch, no alarm when doors closed. I swore the seat had a sensor in it. I'm still not sure of that one. Has anyone experienced this sequence of events?