Good Pre war Racing book read

SC38dls

I just finished an interest racing pre war story. The book is called “FASTER “ by Neal Bascomb. It is about a driver that gets together with a rich socialite sponsor to put together a racing team to beat the Hitler backed national team. A lot of interesting side stories and a quick read. History with cars, how can you beat it when everyone seems to need something interesting to do. 
Hope this hasn’t been posted before, if so sorry I missed  it as I enjoyed the read. 
dave s 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I finally got around to reading Faster by Neal Bascomb.  It is a good read.  It covers a lot of history of the European car builders like Delahaye (the focus of the book), Mercedes, Alfa Romeo, Auto Union, Maserati, and others.  There is also a lot of background about the drivers and team managers of the 1920s-1930s era.

http://8w.forix.com/delahaye/delahaye145-mann.jpg

As a companion book, Grand Prix Saboteurs by Joe Saward tells the story of a number of French racing drivers who became part of the French resistance movement in WWII.  Much of their earlier racing history is described.  After reading both books, I have a much better understanding of the cars, drivers, and politics of the period.

If you're looking to pass the time with some racing books, here's a a few more that I liked:

The Limit which is about Phil Hill and Wolfgang Von Trips battle for the 1961 World Championship

Speed Dual about Art Arfons and  Craig Breedlove's battle for the land speed record

Black Noon about the tragic events of the 1964 Indy 500

Blood and Smoke about the events leading to the first Indy 500

On 6/23/2020 at 11:17 AM, SC38DLS said:

I just finished an interest racing pre war story. The book is called “FASTER “ by Neal Bascomb. It is about a driver that gets together with a rich socialite sponsor to put together a racing team to beat the Hitler backed national team. A lot of interesting side stories and a quick read. History with cars, how can you beat it when everyone seems to need something interesting to do. 
Hope this hasn’t been posted before, if so sorry I missed  it as I enjoyed the read. 
dave s 

I read it this summer after Steve told me about it. It is a page turner for sure. Great story.