Is this a Mercer

schlogo

Hello all

I have a question for you.  Here's a photo of Jack Laviolette a hockey player an auto racer.  I wrote an article on a blog and first thought this was an american Lafrance. Looking at some old newspapers, i noticed he ran on Mercer cars . Looking into it, i came to change my mind and now think the car is a Mercer, maybe 1911 ?

Hood with 3 straps

wheels

the front of the car

Would that make sense ?

What do you Mercer owners think ?

Would you know of a nice video to replace the one in the article ?

thanks for your help

jack-laviolette-1536x819.jpg

Edited by schlogo
typo (see edit history)

Hello

Thanks for your answer. I got this wrong for at least 2 or 3 years ... i ll update my blog post ^^ Anyone would know Tim Kuser ? i seen an interesting photo and i d like more information about it

O

tim-kuser.jpg

Great picture, one that i have not seen before - would be wonderful addition on the early race car thread. Most likely Tim Kuser has seen it and can identify driver, riding mechanic, and perhaps specific race. Could very possibly be at the 1911 Savannah races. Car is definitely a 1911 due to the pumps on an angle plus some other identifying items. Most likely one of the factory cars which ran at Indianapolis, Fairmount Park, and Savannah. The Fairmount Park cars were number 5 (DePalma) and number 11 (Hughes).

Edited by A. Ballard 35R
typo (see edit history)

i maybe misexplained , the second photo comes from tim kuser s collection. found it on the web.

ind like to know if the cars from the 3 images could  be the same .

for the first image, it could be delorimier park in Montréal Canada

Edited by schlogo (see edit history)

Tim is having a little trouble logging in so asked me to post this on his behalf:

The #11 with the 2 guys in it also appears in a photo on David Greenlees' web site, "Old Motor".   It's an action shot clearly showing the radiator with that distinctive 11 on it.  Much dust, and a big tree right next to the track.  No ID as to when or where.  I think I have seen a small image of this scene in a book, cannot find it now.
  The car clearly is a 1911 Raceabout.  ID features of the 11's are the longer spring shackles on the front of the rear springs, and the flat spokes in the steering wheel.  These spokes were reinforced with a rib on the bottom starting (probably) with the 1912 cars.  I say "probably" because Mercer made many running changes in their cars in the early years.
   The car has Continental rims, and cowl light brackets.  Both indicate a stock car.   A special race car would have quick-detachable rims and no lights.  I wish I could read the license plate on the front axle!

I have the photo of the 2 guys in the car, have no idea who or when.  I do know that Wishart first drove a Mercer when he was hired by Mercer at Elgin in August 1912.  He was assigned to a 1912 Raceabout.  The surviving photographs of Mercer race cars show that they never ran last years Raceabouts  The had new ones every year.

As for the Laviolette photo, the only record I have found shows him setting a new lap record at Springfield MA on 25 July 1914 in a Raceabout.  He also won a 3-mile race there that day.  The Raceabout #11 in that photo is a 1911.  The Continental rims, flat steering wheel spokes, and cowl light brackets all indicate a stock 1911 car.   And isn't that motorcycle an Excelsior twin?

Hello

thanks to you and mr Kuser for the detailed information. This is knowledge ! I ve updated my blog post accordingly. I am documenting Laviolette's carreer. Many pilotes were invited in Montreal by Laviolette around 1911-1915. I ll update this post  when i am done

Thanks to all of you for you time and for sharing this valuable information !

The moto is an Excelsior Twin

excelsior1914.jpg

I am no expert on Mercer racing. I do have some Spencer Wishart trophies. I believe that he won in a

Mercer car before he was hired by Mercer. Not sure what year car he drove in that first Ohio race. Maybe it

was something  other than the latest model.