paint the engine

Golden73

Sir, at one time I was quoted $2000 to remove the engine, paint the engine, and paint the engine bay 2-3 years ago. You can do it yourself and leave the engine in the car; however, it is tedious. I’ve painted my engine bay and found the job time consuming and a lot like wrestling and yoga exercise.

What I did to the engine that was easy for me was powder coating all the bolt on brackets, etc. Of course, you need the equipment and an old kitchen oven. The finish on the old parts by powder coating is hard as nails and will look good for a long time. Admittedly, my paint job on the engine bay is satisfactory for me. A two stage paint job by a professional would be better. This job is neat and clean and I’m happy with my work. 

6E212E2B-938E-4EF6-9BF5-88416761C06A.thumb.jpeg.475e87c66e7b820087befe0f84bb4d2c.jpeg

• Like 5

On my 67, over the course of about 8 years, I freshened up my engine bay with a "rattle can restoration". The booster and hood latch were re-finished ( thank you Boosters by Dewey) but most of the other stuff was done by masking( a lot) and small detail brushes. Not being a good mechanic, I went for painting things in place rather than removing and spraying. Especially things on the firewall, like the wiper motor. Like I've said before, the worse a mechanic you are, the better masker you become. The front engine cover was pulled by my friend, and I  painted  the AC and gen brackets, and while the carb was off I painted what I could by hand. Can an experienced eye see the difference? Of course. But I was fine with it. That front "plate" over the radiator comes off easy, and if you look over old articles you'll learn the many types of paint, i.e. glossy/satin/eggshell/flat, at the least. The satin black will become your friend, as will Argent Silver. Doing the air cleaner was fun, and putting the new decals on really made a difference. 

One tip; the bracket that holds the power steering pump is aluminium, and if your pump leaked mine did, you'll see that getting the paint to stick is a trick because the (leaking) oil penetrates the alum.. I sand blasted it, rubbed it with steel wool, everything you could imagine, but the paint wouldn't stick, until I stripped everything and used some alum primer first. After that, no prob. 

So break out the masking tape, use tin foil to wrap what needs to be wrapped ( watch those electric connections) stock up on Q tips, and have at it. 

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_6888.JPG

• Like 5

Not only tin foil is your friend, BUT also Saran Wrap.  Easier to apply & come off.  IF your doing any rattle can spraying at all cover the WHOLE CAR with a big piece of plastic.  EVEN if your under the car spraying you will get over spray on EVERYTHING.

Now another thing that needs cleaning.

• Like 2