1950 Plymouth Special Deluxe oil filter

Wydigger

I am helping a friend get this car back up to speed and one of the first things he wanted to do was change oil and filter. However no one has an oil filter for this car the old filter is a NAPA gold 1035 which NAPA discontinued. Does anyone know of a source for this filter or a remote filter assembly.

37D30495-4690-4818-A61E-9939D2BD3ED6.jpeg

That type of replaceable filter has been obsolete for quite a few years. They do turn up from time to time as NOS or new old stock at swap meets etc.

The oil filter was an option in those days and you could also get a filter that took a replaceable cartridge. These cartridge filters are still available, they are used on some Mercedes cars, tractors and industrial engines. Here is what one looks like. Notice the removable lid.

image.jpeg.cdd83ed07329b0ca0cfdd52316744ef5.jpeg

• Thanks 1

According to the Plymouth manuals they are supposed to be changed every 5000 miles. I have thought of checking the temp after a drive with a laser thermometer and  when it no longer gets hot it must be full of dirt. If you drive on paved roads one might last a lot longer than 5000 miles.

That’s good to know and no more than my buddy will be driving this car it might take  two years or longer to get 5000 miles. I’ll encourage him to change oil at least once a year if the car just sits in the garage most of the time.