Mars

Clum switch

Good morning, I still have a problem with the gas gauge. Tried moving wires to no avail. Am I correct that the lever on the column controls hi/ low beam, and the round center controls on/off, for the headlights? When I turn the center hub to the right it blows a fuse. I can see that the lever moves the mechanism just above the clum. Thanks 

15 minutes ago, Mars said:

Good morning, I still have a problem with the gas gauge. Tried moving wires to no avail. Am I correct that the lever on the column controls hi/ low beam, and the round center controls on/off, for the headlights? When I turn the center hub to the right it blows a fuse. I can see that the lever moves the mechanism just above the clum. Thanks 

Is there a broken lever on the center hub? Did it used to have two levers?

I do not know what button you are turning .The level should have four dent positions , it will go to in a short span of one quarter turn . They are Parking , Off , Low ,and High beam . The center button is horn . If you are pushing horn button and blowing fuse with out a beep . Look at a miss wire on it . The button puts wire going up tube to ground . Disconnect it at bottom and try again ,then make sure it is hooked to correct wire below .

Sorry just went back and looked at your photo again . the level I see on top half of steering wheel is hand throttle . That is the linkage you see moving . You must have a broke or short level I can not see in pic above . Should be on lower half . and have four positions talked about . You have wiring to ground issues .

As my early post said you need to get a jumper wire attach it to a inline fuse with small 5 a fuse . The touch it from power number 1 terminal to others to see if lights work or fuse blows , note both back here .

Edited by ArticiferTom (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Took another look at the steering wheel. The lever you see controls the throttle. The void below it must be where a lever would be. You probably wouldn’t control the lights by rotating the disc. So I think I’m missing the lever. Now to find one.

1BE7BC3D-AB18-43A0-BB99-89590E4A7EB7.jpeg

Hi Mars

I have an inside shaft with a lever attached. It is the shaft with the horn wire going down the middle. :ooking at my 1930 DeSoto I believe that is the one you are looking for. I am not sure if the lever can be separated from the shaft. Have a look at the pictures with the tape measure.

Rick VanOene

IMG_4913.JPG

IMG_4914.JPG

Thanks, it really did help.Have you ever taken this apart? Should I be looking for the whole unit or try to fix the lever part? Thanks for all your help.

If you can find lever  with tube . Why not just that . If you need to replace wire as I did can offer some suggestions on that.

Hi, I bypassed the entire original switch. Took power from the battery to a toggle switch to a floor mounted dimmer switch to the headlight wires. Works great and nothing is visible. Problem solved. Onto the gas gauge. I’m getting leaking gas from the sending unit cap. Only when I fill it too much. Som of the screws are missing. Might have broken off. There must be a gasket of some kind for it. Is the sending unit under the cap / cover? Thanks so much for your help. Everyone.

Just removed mine and will try and get you photos tomorrow. 

Old man memory so be patient please.

Mine did not have a gasket but I'm sure it did originally. The float and arm had fallen off of mine and sank to the bottom. The cork float was badly deteriorated. Happen to look in the tank the other day and there it was laying on the bottom and was able to retrieve it. 

By the way, the holes in the tank are not spaced evenly. I suppose they did that so the sending unit could only be installed correctly. 

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)

Hi there, I hope you’re doing well today. Got my state inspection. Yay!  Sending unit cap. Whatever you call it. Looks like there might be a couple of broken off screws..

• Like 1

Reread your post. The sending unit is under the cover and it appears the two are riveted together.

.20200702_234138.thumb.jpg.c6958e93ee04975220175587067a4572.jpg

The bolt pattern matched the new one but was a partial turn off so new holes had to be drilled in it. If you can get yours working I would recommend it. The after market ones are not designed to operate at the 30 degree angle that these are mounted at in the tank. 

20200702_234005.thumb.jpg.ada8eb69225efef361b17034cf246238.jpg

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)

Hi there, I took out the sender unit. Looks ok. I’ll make a new gasket and put it back.

432113C6-AB01-4057-8EC4-C1FE2417D672.jpeg

Edited by Mars (see edit history)

Are you suggesting I take it it apart? It worked before the wiring change.So I’m thinking it’s something else. I got 2 out of 3 broken screws out on the sending unit mount.