Mars

Clum switch

Hi, 1930 cf, still trying to sort out my wiring. How do I know if the clum is working properly. I don’t seem to have power to the two headlight connections. Headlight comes on if I jump power from the horn/ brake light connection. With the old wiring , the headlight came on with the dash light switch. I might be able to make that work. Then there’s the tail light. When I jumped the wires for the headlight, I got a brake light. But it starts right up so I just drive. It’s great.

Hi Mars

Here are the 2 pages from my DeSoto 6 book. I would imagine that the wiring is the same on the CK6 and the CF8 except for the distributor servicing 8 spark plugs. The only way to test the clum switch is with a volt meter and an ohm meter and some understanding of basic electricity. My car has dual filament bulbs in the headlights, and both filaments have the same candle power output. It didn't make sense to me, so I rewired the headlights so that if I wanted high beam, both filaments came on. The clum switches are very basic, and unless they are broken or full of steering box grease, there is not much that can go wrong with them.

Rick

des1.jpg

des2.jpg

Hi, 30 cf. I got the tail and brake lights working. Realized they operate from the steering wheel hub. Turn to the left for tail light. When I turn to the right it blows the fuse. Not sure what the lever does . How do you remove the hub to examine the switch ? Thanks 

3 hours ago, Mars said:

Hi, 30 cf. I got the tail and brake lights working. Realized they operate from the steering wheel hub. Turn to the left for tail light. When I turn to the right it blows the fuse. Not sure what the lever does . How do you remove the hub to examine the switch ? Thanks 

You have to remove the brass nut on the bottom of the steering column switch/CLUM switch and the control and rod pulls up into the cab. You will probably have to removed the column support if you pull the rod out. I image that the wire inside the steering column/rod has been twisted and turned to where it is coiled up and or bare in spots. It's a common malady with the steering column lighting controls. You may be able to feed a new wire into the tube without removing the tube from the column. Can you show a photo of your steering column lighting controls?

You manual should tell you how the control on the steering wheel operates.

Posted (edited)

Should be four positions from left to right  . High beam with tl. , low beam with tl . off ,and parking light with tl . Straight down is used as off . There are some variation out there pics would help also number off switch when removed . I would mark and remove all wire and test individually with a fused jumper . to verify all are operational with out shorts or grounds . Each light will have it's own wire and so will high low .

Remember hot wire from horn and grounds through button to sound . And hot from amp gauge .

Edited by ArticiferTom
remember (see edit history)

Hi there, here’s a picture of the hub

5D77C1BD-3624-4C3F-9633-69CF8B10589C.jpeg

Hi there, isn’t there only the horn wire that comes out at the base of the column?

Yes that is correct, the horn wire is the only wire to run up the steering column, the horn button when pressed down earths the connection and the horn will sound.  

Then how do the controls make connections ? And what are the positions of the lever and hub knob , what do they operate? Thanks 

They operate the clum switch at the bottom end of steering column in engine bay . Show us a pic of that . There should be two levers at top . One is throttle which also has linkage to bottom . Other is light switch ,that has 1/4" dia. tube to bottom throught clum switch . There is a gland nut down there that you loosen to remove switch and allows rod to slid up .

86127685_clumsw.thumb.jpg.55c9fbe7c338965b6d55c73d2d5f515d.jpg20150925_182015.thumb.jpg.004263038895dce8ba14c913c6dafe0f.jpg

The lever on mine controls linkage that moves something in the clum.

But you said it controls throttle. So I’m assuming the dial is the light control.  Should I take everything apart?

1 hour ago, ArticiferTom said:

They operate the clum switch at the bottom end of steering column in engine bay . Show us a pic of that . There should be two levers at top . One is throttle which also has linkage to bottom . Other is light switch ,that has 1/4" dia. tube to bottom throught clum switch . There is a gland nut down there that you loosen to remove switch and allows rod to slid up .

86127685_clumsw.thumb.jpg.55c9fbe7c338965b6d55c73d2d5f515d.jpg20150925_182015.thumb.jpg.004263038895dce8ba14c913c6dafe0f.jpg

There is only one lever on the steering column of the CF DeSoto. It is for the lights. The throttle control is on the dashboard.

Posted (edited)

Thanks,  keiser 31 was not sure on that . Mar's do not confuse Clum with column  .  Clum is the maker of the switch at the end of the steering column . Easy to remove . It is where all the wires are attached .

Edited by ArticiferTom
Spelling (see edit history)

I know that. So the lever operates the linkage that switches the connections on the clum.

Dos the round hub on the wheel 

Do more than just turning on the taillight? When I turn it to the right, it blows a fuse . Thanks 

Yes , it is to turn on the headlights low and high beam . It also serves as a terminal point for the horn wire going up the tube to the one from the horn . You can see from may pic . These do wear out inside and a rarely available so most clean and or rebuild them .

Remove wires and test with a FUSED jumper, each out going wire . You most likely have a ground in one and since it in one position maybe parking lights .

These switches get lots of oil from steering box on them . But should not cause a short . Can we get a pic of steerring box area to evaluate .

12 minutes ago, Mars said:

I know that. So the lever operates the linkage that switches the connections on the clum.

Dos the round hub on the wheel 

Do more than just turning on the taillight? When I turn it to the right, it blows a fuse . Thanks 

It looks good . Cleaner than most . I see some wires are grouped under a single stac-on terminal end . So they will be head light Hi and Low beam ,left and right hooked together .

Lift wires one at a time and test with jumper .  Careful term 1and 2 maybe  hot . there are tiny number on bottom edge that match to the drawing , 1-6 .

Something does not look right on where your wires are termed . You need to make a diagram of how they are . And test to make sure what they go to . Do not assume colors are correct . Also , SHOULD of said first the TERMINAL number are not in order on switch .

Starting away from you at engine , is 1 then 3 then 2 and 4 and 6 and 5 . How's that for screwing with the mechanics . LOL .

So your parking light are on trem 3 in # 2 position . Should be a pair .

Tell me if I lost you before going any more >>

1 hour ago, Mars said:

Here it is 

Awesome,  I have a great schematic. I know the I’ll send a picture. I have all the wires connected as shown. 1 and 2 are hot.headlights 4/6 are not. Brown 3 isn’t used now. It’s for cowl lights which I don’t have.its not hot. 5 

goes to the taillight which works.

I’m a little confused about your description of the taillight wiring. Mine shows #5 to taillight, black. Trem 3 in #2 position? 

My fuel gauge still isn’t working, pegs to full.

Can you attach your pic . The one above I believe is a miss print , although it is hard to read for me .

The taillight wire comes off last terminal #5, pos 6 . The brake light comes off terminal #1, pos1 going to master cylinder sw or foot lever switch , then to tail light .

The fuel gauge gets it power from ignition sw ; through gauge to sender at tank . At tank it goes through a variable resistant s of the float to ground .

Peg means it is grounded ,I believe . Lift wire at back and see if it changes .

What do you mean by terminal vs position?