Clarks Mats

kdml

Anyone have the carpeted mats made by Clarks?  I was thinking of purchasing and wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them.  I understand the originals were rubber, but I like the idea of a carpeted mat.  Pictures of them installed would be great.  I am especially interested in the drivers front and how it fits around the gas pedal. 

Thanks

Doug

49 minutes ago, kdml said:

Anyone have the carpeted mats made by Clarks?  I was thinking of purchasing and wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them.  I understand the originals were rubber, but I like the idea of a carpeted mat.  Pictures of them installed would be great.  I am especially interested in the drivers front and how it fits around the gas pedal. 

Thanks

Doug

Doug, I got the carpeted mats from

Clarks that match my carpet. The mats are nicely made. Clark’carpet mats stick good to the floor carpet . Fact of the matter the carpet mats stick to good. You have to separate the mats from the carpet one inch at a time. Should you pull the carpet mats all at one time you’ll pull your floor carpet out of position. I don’t like that set up.

i went ahead a bought the repro red Buick rubber mats and I like them a lot.

Turbinator

• Like 1

What is the bottom of the mat made of...velcro? :o

Thanks for the feedback.  I would have thought fit would be more of an issue.  I would never have thought sticking to the carpet would have been an issue.  Maybe I will stick with the repro rubber mats.  Where did you purchase your set?

19 hours ago, kdml said:

What is the bottom of the mat made of...velcro? :o

Thanks for the feedback.  I would have thought fit would be more of an issue.  I would never have thought sticking to the carpet would have been an issue.  Maybe I will stick with the repro rubber mats.  Where did you purchase your set?

Sir, I got the rubber mats from CarsLLC.

They are fine, but pricey at $230.00 plus shipping. The carpet pads Clark’s have did have Velcro on the bottom of the mats.

The gents have good ideas for having some made locally or other suppliers to check. I think this a personal preference item and you like what you like. I’ll add some pics of Clark’s carpet mats 

1D8ADD77-F1A4-41A9-902A-CDBEC2C30276.jpeg

C72CC998-68C0-481B-8875-A6F191EDE90E.jpeg

F3935DDF-EF60-4B2A-8860-3C81F5A0BFB7.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks to all for posting those Pix's. However, Doug was wondering on the fit around the Accelerator Pedal.

Turbinator Bob, I have to thank-you for posting your pix's. Not for the mats but for your seats. I have the same red leather and black seatbelts in my '63. I hastily separated the seat backs from the bottoms to deliver to the upholstery shop before they closed. Later, I wondered on the little spring-loaded lanyard visible on the passenger seat in your image. I did not encounter the same on the Driver's seat. But according to your image, there isn't one for the Driver's seat. Wonder what it's for? BTW, your interior is a real looker Bob!

John B.

4 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Thanks to all for posting those Pix's. However, Doug was wondering on the fit around the Accelerator Pedal.

Turbinator Bob, I have to thank-you for posting your pix's. Not for the mats but for your seats. I have the same red leather and black seatbelts in my '63. I hastily separated the seat backs from the bottoms to deliver to the upholstery shop before they closed. Later, I wondered on the little spring-loaded lanyard visible on the passenger seat in your image. I did not encounter the same on the Driver's seat. But according to your image, there isn't one for the Driver's seat. Wonder what it's for? BTW, your interior is a real looker Bob!

John B.

Hi John,

That set up is the same on my 63 as well. On the passenger side it is a plastic coated line with a loop on each end that attaches the top half of the seat to the bottom half. No spring in the arrangement. My guess is that it is there so that you don't push the top too far forward when getting in and/or it stops the seat at a certain point to give a solid place to put your hand to help in getting into the back seat. On the driver's side the seat top will contact the steering wheel stopping it from going past a certain point and also giving the solid place to use as an aid in getting into the back seat. 

Bill

• Like 1

Ah, the Steering Wheel, you got it! My mind has me questioning anything that is not symmetrical.

Bill, I have those Inner Beltline Whisker Strips coming. No receipt or tracking number. I hope they arrive!

John B.

17 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Ah, the Steering Wheel, you got it! My mind has me questioning anything that is not symmetrical.

Bill, I have those Inner Beltline Whisker Strips coming. No receipt or tracking number. I hope they arrive!

John B.

John,

My mind works the same way. The steering wheel is just a guess.

I hope this means that Mark at Repops got back to you and that you have a pair of the correct inside strips coming! They did not charge me for mine. Let me know.

Bill

On 6/21/2020 at 7:30 PM, kdml said:

Thanks

Doug

Doug, for grins I’ll get a pic of the drivers front mat made by Clark’s. It doesn’t hurt to have two sets of mats in place in the car when going to a show. Pull the mat(s) you used to drive to the show and let the show mats shine.

Turbinator

How about I throw a monkey wrench into the fray.  Why even have mats in your car at a show?  When was the last time you saw a car at a Mecum auction with mats in it?  Aren't mats there to protect the carpet? When the carpet doesn't need protected, why have them?  Is Silver Aarrow One ever pictured with mats? Get some Weather Tech mats, protect the carpet, and take them out when displaying th car. 🤔

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

How about I throw a monkey wrench into the fray.  Why even have mats in your car at a show?  When was the last time you saw a car at a Mecum auction with mats in it?  Aren't mats there to protect the carpet? When the carpet doesn't need protected, why have them?  Is Silver Aarrow One ever pictured with mats? Get some Weather Tech mats, protect the carpet, and take them out when displaying th car. 🤔

Mats are a factory accessory just like any other accessories on the car. I always appreciate a nice pair of original, correct mats at the shows.

Regarding the Silver Arrow showcar, if my recall is correct, the mats are sewn into the carpeting and are premanently installed! Oldsmobile incorporated this custom touch as a standard feature in their Starfires starting in `61 but Buick could ony come close with accessory hard mats which had "spikes" to secure them to the original carpeting. There were a handful of GM showcars with hard mats sewn into the carpeting.

Tom

The mats hard sewn into the carpet, IMHO, fall into a different category.  If they are hard sewn into the carpet, are they really mats or are they an improved type of heel pad especially designed fo certain cars. Anything screwed to the floor with a stainless frame is not a mat; carpet saver, maybe; mat, not.

ipmj.jpg.79350fc4b58fa7269a8ce68b12f90f34.jpg

Turbinator, if you could provide pictures of the drivers side Clark’s mat that would be great.  

I don’t plan on showing the car. I’m with KongaMan, I prefer to spend that time driving it.  

I’d love to have no mats, but it’s easier to pull them out to clean then it is to remove and clean the carpets 😛.  The carpeted mats are appealing as they blend into the carpet, as if there are no mats.

Thanks

Doug 

On 7/4/2020 at 5:31 PM, kdml said:

Turbinator, if you could provide pictures of the drivers side Clark’s mat that would be great.  

I don’t plan on showing the car. I’m with KongaMan, I prefer to spend that time driving it.  

I’d love to have no mats, but it’s easier to pull them out to clean then it is to remove and clean the carpets 😛.  The carpeted mats are appealing as they blend into the carpet, as if there are no mats.

Thanks

Doug 

Doug, I apologize for not following up on my promise to take pics. My excuse is I’ve been installing my rebuilt nailhead in my 63. It takes me some time these days to do things. I’ll get the pics now.

Turbinator.

On 7/4/2020 at 5:31 PM, kdml said:

Thanks

Doug 

Doug, here are the pics of the mats.,Clark’s backs of the mats had Velcro I taped over. One pic is just the carpet. The other pic with the mat over the carpet.

E49F780A-4C7E-4013-91D8-2F2199B8F281.jpeg

9B268CE9-5954-4E33-B155-53FC8D3ADA32.jpeg

55 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Just checked Clark's catalog and you are correct. Mats come with a black heel pad.  Do their full carpet sets come with a heel pad? If so, it should be color coordinated I would think.  

You would think. Clark’s sez they make the carpet and mats to order. While they are putting on the red heel pad on the full carpet they could put the red heel pad on the mat. I suppose that is why Engineers are paid to figure out work process.

IMHO, there's nothing about any carpet mat that makes it appreciably different from any other.  If you can find a suitable fit and color in a generic mat, might as well as buy it if it will save some money.

If you want the "correct" mat, buy the repro Carpet Savers and Handi-Mats.  If you just want to keep your carpet clean, anything will do.

I would note, though, that it's getting harder to find generic mats in red, green, blue, etc.  

• Like 1

I find it is the same for 1963 seatbelts. For that year, anything goes as long as it's functional and has the period correct anchor bolt.

Red, green or blue generic mats near impossible. I stumbled upon generic red rubber and later, generic red carpeted mats years ago at liquidation stores. Not today.

I remember embarking on a road trip with the family when the kids were young. Our ride at the time was a year old Gr. Cherokee (I think). While sipping her coffee, my wife would say "ah, still has the new car smell". I didn't want to spoil her experience by admitting it was actually the cheap off-shore mats I bought the weekend prior off-gassing inside our confined space! 

John B.

• Like 1

While on the subject of carpet mats a used car dealer around here have a heavy grade clear plastic that sticks to the carpet as a protector. I bought a used pick up truck from them and I rather liked the way the clear Saran Wrap like protector worked. The protector is only temporary but it’s lasted in my pick up about a year.

As others have said most anything in the way of a cover will do.And I agree. I use the original Red rubber mats that came in my 63 for normal use. The color is worn out, but the carpet protector  works.

I was looking for a set of nice front mats that I could have in for everyday driving. That way my OEM style rubber mats stay clean for shows. I purchased a set of Lloyd's front mats from a vendor on e-bay. They are the classic loop with the classic Buick tri-shield logo. You can also get the Riviera script. I am very impressed with the quality. The fit is perfect with a large coverage area. Very happy with the purchase.

Bill

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lloyd-Classic-Loop-Carpet-2pc-Floor-Mats-for-1963-1965-Buick-Riviera-Choose-Logo/274176369836?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=574296019208&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

IMG_5966.JPG

IMG_5965.JPG

• Like 2

I had been thinking about the clear plastic carpet protector for my car. The stuff is 24” wide and 200 feet long for $12.00.

say I get 50 floor coverings at $.24 apiece.

When I’m finished I peel back the cover dirt and all. The coverage is good side to side back to back. For 24 cents to keep it clean the way I drive the car makes me happy. The protector keeps dirt from spilling on the carpet.

Turbinator

2 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

I was looking for a set of nice front mats that I could have in for everyday driving. That way my OEM style rubber mats stay clean for shows. I purchased a set of Lloyd's front mats from a vendor on e-bay. They are the classic loop with the classic Buick tri-shield logo. You can also get the Riviera script. I am very impressed with the quality. The fit is perfect with a large coverage area. Very happy with the purchase.

Bill

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lloyd-Classic-Loop-Carpet-2pc-Floor-Mats-for-1963-1965-Buick-Riviera-Choose-Logo/274176369836?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=574296019208&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

IMG_5966.JPG

IMG_5965.JPG

Thanks Bill

Those look nice and I like the Buick logo.  My old eyes may be deceiving me, but your picture looks like you modified the mat where it fits around the gas pedal - correct. 

10 minutes ago, kdml said:

Thanks Bill

Those look nice and I like the Buick logo.  My old eyes may be deceiving me, but your picture looks like you modified the mat where it fits around the gas pedal - correct. 

No modifications necessary. These mats come with the necessary cut out for the gas pedal and a cut out for the dimmer switch with a grommet. They fit perfectly.

Bill

IMG_5973.JPG

Edited by Riviera63
revise text (see edit history)

3 hours ago, KongaMan said:

FYI, you can order Lloyd mats direct (and without a logo, for an even lower price).

This is true. Lloyd's Mats are only available directly through them or one of their distributors that are listed on their website. It is cheaper to go through one of the listed distributors or buy from one of the listed distributors that also sells on e-bay. Through Lloyds directly you will have to pay shipping, whereas the distributors offer free shipping. The prices are the same and you can get the plain mats through the distributor. The mats are made to order and drop shipped from Lloyds. Plan for some delay because of this and they are a little behind because of the covid thing. It took about 3 weeks for mine.

Bill

• Like 1