Sign in to follow this  
Flivverking

Spare tire lock removal no keys

This 27 Chrysler in my garage needs to have it's spare tire removed.It has the factory lock system  and no keys..I am not a purist here at all and don't need it to be saved perfect for originality.

I suppose when unlocking, it retracks a pair of spring loaded wedged teeth or something ?

I'm ready to just drill out the lock or pop it out with a dent puller and screw like we did to car wheel ignitions in my repro days..

Any other suggestions?  

I'll figure out later how to convert it to another way of locking using the metal lock housing catch.

Thanks.D.M.S.

0621201718.jpg

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Posted (edited)

Try a locksmith, it would be a waste to ruin a nice antique wheel lock. He could jimmy it open and take it back to his shop and make you a couple of keys. The skill isn't gone, but you just have to seek it with a bit more conviction.

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

I had the same problem with the side mounts on my '29 Franklin. Called a mobile locksmith and she created two keys in less than 20 minutes. She started with a blank key and then methodically kept inserting the key, noting where it stopped, and filing away a bit. 

She charged me about $30 for 2 keys.  

That is about a $150 lock and hard to find. Do as they suggested above.

Dave

2 hours ago, Flivverking said:

I suppose when unlocking, it retracks a pair of spring loaded wedged teeth or something ?

That is the larger one of 2 Oakes locks.  From old memory, yes there are two opposed brass? dogs that retract as the key turns.  I recall a thin cover on the back held in with tiny screws..I think.

You could do an image search for pics of Oakes Tire Locks, there must be a pic of the backside.

I agree on trying to find a lock person. 

@I'll postpone getting the tire off for now.

My McMurtry rear hub puller will be here in a couple of days..so I can get  the brakes apart  for a complete restoration and  am eager also to get the wheels off and the split ring rims cleaned down. suppose in several months I can drive the little beast to lock-Smithy if all goes O.K.?

0601201012.jpg

5 hours ago, RansomEli said:

I had the same problem with the side mounts on my '29 Franklin. Called a mobile locksmith and she created two keys in less than 20 minutes. She started with a blank key and then methodically kept inserting the key, noting where it stopped, and filing away a bit. 

She charged me about $30 for 2 keys.  

Note the reference to "Mobile locksmith" and the price.

Yes, mobile Locksmith! This is why they are in business.😉

Wow..........that model Chrysler had a staircase inside ?  I learn so much here !

• Haha 1

Quiet about the staircase.!

.The Chrysler took away from the new deck and staircase wood funding.Or was it the new roof cookie jar savings or was it the new furnice cigar box stash? 

I remember now.

The funds came from the 1912 Stoddard -Montibank ,"All Weather Flyer" 7 passinger tourer's radiator recore.

Never mind😒