Spare tire lock removal no keys

Flivverking

This 27 Chrysler in my garage needs to have it's spare tire removed.It has the factory lock system  and no keys..I am not a purist here at all and don't need it to be saved perfect for originality.

I suppose when unlocking, it retracks a pair of spring loaded wedged teeth or something ?

I'm ready to just drill out the lock or pop it out with a dent puller and screw like we did to car wheel ignitions in my repro days..

Any other suggestions?  

I'll figure out later how to convert it to another way of locking using the metal lock housing catch.

Thanks.D.M.S.

0621201718.jpg

I had the same problem with the side mounts on my '29 Franklin. Called a mobile locksmith and she created two keys in less than 20 minutes. She started with a blank key and then methodically kept inserting the key, noting where it stopped, and filing away a bit. 

She charged me about $30 for 2 keys.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flivverking said:

I suppose when unlocking, it retracks a pair of spring loaded wedged teeth or something ?

That is the larger one of 2 Oakes locks.  From old memory, yes there are two opposed brass? dogs that retract as the key turns.  I recall a thin cover on the back held in with tiny screws..I think.

You could do an image search for pics of Oakes Tire Locks, there must be a pic of the backside.

I agree on trying to find a lock person. 

• Like 1

@I'll postpone getting the tire off for now.

My McMurtry rear hub puller will be here in a couple of days..so I can get  the brakes apart  for a complete restoration and  am eager also to get the wheels off and the split ring rims cleaned down. suppose in several months I can drive the little beast to lock-Smithy if all goes O.K.?

0601201012.jpg

5 hours ago, RansomEli said:

I had the same problem with the side mounts on my '29 Franklin. Called a mobile locksmith and she created two keys in less than 20 minutes. She started with a blank key and then methodically kept inserting the key, noting where it stopped, and filing away a bit. 

She charged me about $30 for 2 keys.  

Note the reference to "Mobile locksmith" and the price.

Yes, mobile Locksmith! This is why they are in business.😉

Quiet about the staircase.!

.The Chrysler took away from the new deck and staircase wood funding.Or was it the new roof cookie jar savings or was it the new furnice cigar box stash? 

I remember now.

The funds came from the 1912 Stoddard -Montibank ,"All Weather Flyer" 7 passinger tourer's radiator recore.

Never mind😒

• 2 months later...

I put off this tire lock issue and I need the tire off the car 3 week ago If not months ago.

I took the tire and mount off the car and dragged it to 5 locksmiths within 12 miles of my urban area.

Not one would pick it. All offered to drill out the lock for 50-55 bucks.Which I replalied."I can do that"

They all said they never saw an old lock like this and don't know whats in there or how it works  don't know if it could even be picked..The pins may be frozen bla bla bla..

Only one said to find and old timer..old school guy as we(the new age lock dudes) are like  new generation and deal with known modern car key codes and such and replacing locks in houses etc..They dont seem to want to pick old locks to save the lock and make a key..

It's trash the old lock to get in something and maybe get a new lock and install IT is the program.

Now how much effort in calling about and hauling this tire and lock is practical for a non show restoration ,minimum value car that is just being  old school rehabilitated as required to drive again.

My plan is the drill out the tire clamp housing's inner bolt stud from the back side(the carraige head is there)It's just a swedged in affair I bet.

Replacing the bolt is no big deal in my opinion  and I can work out the lock issue later with the lock and clamp housing removed ...( and my darn old tire and rim is free )😌

I suspect in the end that even if the lock is picked and turned to unlock the basic lock  unit will be frozen in the iron housing and would not be able to be extracted with just a key or pick tool from that side.

0921201419.jpg

1 hour ago, Oldtech said:

Well if it were mine... it isn't, i'd soak it down in pb blaster or some such and make a little flat pick and try to pick it myself. It doesn't look that high security.

A set of basic lock picks is like ten bucks as well 

I agree it’s an Oaks lock. Easy to open. Often pot metal housing can swell and bind the lock cylinder. If it’s bound, it’s junk. I have only done the small locks on them. My local guy can easily make a key. If you get it off, PM me and I can set you up with a 80 year old locksmith that still works three days a week. Ed

Well I find after more study the bolt I thought was going through for the inner lock nut for the clamp is not. It's an inch or so below the center line of where a lock nut would be behind the lock.

There is an open space on the tail end of the iron clamp and you can see the locking nut behind the lock..You would almost think that special spanner could get in there.

It IS an Oakes with a Yale 5 pin tumber lock .Looks like a Y11 key blank from what is written.

Any markings on front face of lock are unreadable..

My update as of this morning.

A 88 years young car friend who is  hour & 1/2  from me called his local lockman and said this lockman would take look at and would like to have the mess over the weekned..If he is successfull..$50.00

So 10.bucks for my gas guzzling Jeep to drop off the tire/mount/lock at my 88 YO friends house for him to hand over and I'll  visit for a bit..

Then another 10.bucks for the return next week...hopefully all is apart.

Plus add flowers for my friends wife this trip ( I'm like that) 😇

So it will take me about $100.00 to get the spare tire off .

• Like 3

@Flivverking, Good for you!! I hate to see antique parts destroyed before every chance has been attempted. I am surprised you had that difficult a time finding a locksmith to have a try at it. A 5 pin Yale is a beginners practice piece for an apprentice locksmith. Now that assumes that the lock is not frozen because of rust, corrosion or damage. In my smaller town there are at least two locksmiths that would at least try to help. I guess the younger guys are not willing to even try something to help a potential customer. Times have changed and not always for the better.....

• Like 2

Success

.I pick up the mess tomorrow morning.

The lock man did it on my friends porch. 25 minutes..And most the work was fiddling getting the lock plug unit out with nothing like the key to pull on.

He picked the lock 3 times because of the lock unit rotating from pressure of the tension wrench(lock picking tool to get a bit of lock barrel rotation pressure as you pick the tumbers with a lock pick) and trying to pry out the unit.

He did not have the blank for a key..

• Like 2

On 6/21/2020 at 9:18 PM, Flivverking said:

suppose in several months I can drive the little beast to lock-Smithy if all goes O.K.?

0601201012.jpg

Just ask the locksmith for a house call - go to their office and ask in person if someone can stop by on the way home and tell them you are a it on a budget and could they swing you a little better deal.