shifter knob?

Flathed52

This came with my 52 ford f1 on my column shifter. Would anyone be able to tell me what vehicle it’s out if what’s the year make and model if you know please? I like it probably will keep it on it’s different even though I prefer stock items on my truck. Sorry for the photos they always upload wring side up! 

D7FB7C2D-FA89-4839-93D0-7450DC5EEC3A.jpeg

EEBCF813-B408-41DC-8EF1-A0D6EF26BFA0.jpeg

D948BEDA-E1B2-44B6-B264-9CEF6FB59B14.jpeg

1 minute ago, Flathed52 said:

You mean somebody had this made up custom One - off back in day? They had that then? Or you mean it was a aftermarket thing Made in multiples  that fit universally on a lot of cars? Thanks! 

Aftermarket piece for lots of cars. Probably made in the 1950s.

• Like 2

Back in the early '60s some of the older guy's were making plexiglass knobs for their shifter and dashboard in shop class, (remember them)? Might be something a previous owner made.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, vintchry said:

Hudson, 42-47 minimum, perhaps later

The only kind I see in the Hudsons of that era are teardrop shaped, ivory colored knobs....

Hudson shift knob.jpg

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

The only kind I see in the Hudsons of that era are teardrop shaped, ivory colored knobs....

Hudson shift knob.jpg

Mine is kind of tear drop shaped - it’s not round. The stock knob is a plain round black knob. I think this one looks good on the truck somehow but was curious about where it’s from, thanks for the replies so far! 

5 minutes ago, Flathed52 said:

Apparently they’re called ship and castle knobs. A lot of details in these things huh! 

Because of the ships and castles on the Hudson emblem....

ship and castle.jpg

14 minutes ago, padgett said:

Diameter looks too big for a factory piece.  Anyone have a JCW catalog from the '50s ?

I don't have a JCW catalog but I have an original tan shift knob from my 1950 Hudson Super 6 for comparison. I know mine's the factory knob that came with the car. Same knob, same hole, same diameter. Real Deal. 

IMG_2451.JPG

IMG_2452.JPG

Edited by The 55er
added pictures (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Flathed52 said:

What’s a step down knob?

The end of the shift lever often had a knob on the end of it. The 1948-1954 Hudson’s were often referred to as the step down models for reasons I will discuss if you want to hear about later. The knob in question looks like the knob that was placed on Hudson’s of that era. Any more questions? Zeke

Edited by zeke01
Misspelling (see edit history)

Hi Zeke, Thanks for all the info. Its really very interesting! I don't know anything about Hudson's and Im pretty new to Antique vehicles, my Ford truck is my first one and Ive already learned a lot about them. Why did they call the Hudson's Step Down models? Was it popular to use the shifter knobs from Hudson's ? Or its just something that happens to be on my truck cause someone thought it looked cool. 

John 

Stepdown referred to Hudson's (1948-1954) placement of the passenger compartment down inside the perimeter of the frame, making for added safety in the event of an accident and giving the car a lower center of gravity with better handling than the competition.  When you open the doors and enter a Hudson, you actually step over the sill and down onto the floor. I don't think it was popular to use Hudson shift knobs on other cars but who knows? Chances are the past owner of your Ford truck had a Hudson knob available and just happened to like the looks of it. 

Step downs were so named because the passenger floorboards were situated below the frame rails. This lowered the overall stance of the car and as such positioned the car lower to the ground. Those Hudson’s were a force to be reckoned with on the racing circuits.  The knobs were certainly different. And would be a unique  addition to any car or truck.

3 minutes ago, The 55er said:

Stepdown referred to Hudson's (1948-1954) placement of the passenger compartment down inside the perimeter of the frame, making for added safety in the event of an accident and giving the car a lower center of gravity with better handling than the competition.  When you open the doors and enter a Hudson, you actually step over the sill and down onto the floor. I don't think it was popular to use Hudson shift knobs on other cars but who knows? Chances are the past owner of your Ford truck had a Hudson knob available and just happened to like the looks of it. 

Thanks 55er, you said it it better than me. Zeke

• Like 1