How old is your gasoline?

PWB

On 6/28/2020 at 2:18 PM, telriv said:

Now the following is just an approximation.

IF you divide your cranking compression & divide it by atmospheric pressure which is 14.7-1

So take in Jim's case of 210 PSI cranking compression divided by 14.7 = 14.3-1 taking into case carbon build-up.

Now we know that in Jim's case this can't be entirely true, BUT it's a close approximation.  This ALSO has to do with cam timing & overlap & lobe separation angle which ALSO ALL comes into play.

One way to help clean carbon build-up is on a nice warm engine hold open the throttle with one hand while misting in water with a spray bottle.  Now not so much that the engine wants to stall but enough to start making the engine know something other than fuel is being dumped in.  In total maybe about 1/2-3/4 of a quart,  two to three pints.  The resulting stream will help to loosen & get ride of the carbon deposits as well as clean some of the debris around the intake valve heads which will then go out the exhaust.

Of course the easier & in my mind the better way is to use the B & G brand 44K as was talked about in the past for a couple of cycles.

Tom T.

I remember the water method.  Back in the late 60's early 70's I used to cruise Van Nuys Blvd in Los Angles, CA, but before that night of cruising I would see this guy that owned and operated the local Tune Masters (tuneup and dyno shop).  He would take my 66 Chevelle SS396 on the dyno and squirt water down the carb while operating the throttle several times.  Made a big difference.  Really does work.  He would alway tell me I wasn't putting my foot into it enough.  Haha.  Memories! 

• Like 2

Yes, Chevron Techron also works but not as good as the B&G stuff.  !st. off it treats a FULL tank of gasoline & you can stretch it out even further by running the tank to a little more than 3/4 & filling again. While the 1st. dose is cleaning when the tank gets filled again it will still be working on cleaning things up but in a diluted manor.

MAYBE do this twice by adding a second.  Then I would guarantee the valves & ALL will be clean & your cranking compression may be more in line of reality.

AND AGAIN just my thoughts as everyone has their own experiences to talk about that MAY have worked for them back in the day.

I would NEVER tell somebody to do something IF I didn't believe in it which I obviously do.  I know "Magic" in a bottle & IF I hadn't seen it with my very own eyes (many times) I would NOT be talking about it.

Tom T.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2020 at 4:26 PM, telriv said:

As Craig says a waste of time & $$$$

Actually octane boosters DO perform an important function; they cause money to circulate. 😝

But any benefit to an engine from octane boost is basically in the mind of the driver! ;)

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

On 6/20/2020 at 4:25 PM, PWB said:

But the ethanol free gas near me is 87 Octane. 

I cant put that pee in my tank!

Where do you guys get hi-octane ethanol free gas???  The nearest jet-fighter air base?

Where do you guys get hi-octane ethanol free gas???  The nearest jet-fighter air base?

Ok, I give up trying copy and a section of your post. Small airport/ airstrips will sell the non ethanol leaded high octane gasoline near Annapolis Md . Lee Airport sells 100 octane at $5.50 per gallon. I have not purchased any. My other option is drive 40 miles N to PA where I have purchased 100 gallons at a time of non ethanol 93 Octane. I load and store the gasoline in 55 gallon water tight covered steel drums.

Gotta put a big hitch on your Riv to haul a 55 gallon drum full of fuel. You'll burn half of what you put in your tank just to get home.  Kinda of like my late father-in-law. He would drive 30 miles from his home in Omaha to save 2 cents a gallon in Council Bluffs. He would burn four gallons of gas driving across town and back just to save 30 cents..  You do the math.

Follow Jim Cannon's example for tuning your engine for best performance from the neighborhood gas station.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

On 6/27/2020 at 11:41 AM, awk409ak said:

Hi,

Speaking of gas.   I do run 93 octane, but is not ethanol free hard to find in Delaware.  I do add a octane booster.  Does everyone run octane boosters?  if what brand is good?   Don't mean to change the subject a little.

Art

Just about any Area with trailered boats will have ethanol free gas at a  station. A couple of 5 gallon cans of that stuff should get you through a winter without problems. My boat has been on that diet for 15 years, stored in a dry stack metal shed, right at a lake so it’s always damp, and has never had any fuel system issues. I always use Stabil 360 at the end of every season, at a double dose. Same for the motorcycle.

Ray

Only time I don't mind using ethanol in one of my cars is after a long winter of non use. Or unless I suspect there is some bit of water in the tank, which is really rare in our moderate climate. The reason is that  the alcohol will separate from the rest of the fuel and be mixed with the water, which the engine will burn. It's kind of like adding "Heat" to gas you suspect to have water in it.

On 6/20/2020 at 9:17 PM, NailheadBob said:

On small engines, if I have varnished up fuel in carburetor and fuel tank, I take carburetor apart, and remove fuel tank, I have a large pot I put on outside gas grille and mix lemon juice and water together, and boil for about 10 minutes, then put back together, now it runs like a dream. Next I am going to do the same to an automobile carburetor to try it.

Bob

Bob, new to me the lemon juice and water cleaner. But, many things that work good is still news to me, thank you for tip,

Turbinator

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2020 at 8:23 AM, RivNut said:

Gotta put a big hitch on your Riv to haul a 55 gallon drum full of fuel. You'll burn half of what you put in your tank just to get home.  Kinda of like my late father-in-law. He would drive 30 miles from his home in Omaha to save 2 cents a gallon in Council Bluffs. He would burn four gallons of gas driving across town and back just to save 30 cents..  You do the math.

Follow Jim Cannon's example for tuning your engine for best performance from the neighborhood gas station.

Ed, I have a truck and to the ground utility trailer. I have a barrel mover hand truck. I built the loading platform the same height as the trailer deck. I slide the barrels off the trailer without too much trouble. 
it is a nice ride through northern Maryland to PA to buy the ethanol free gas.

• 9 months later...
On 6/20/2020 at 12:36 PM, kegart said:

I have found that ethanol gas,  even with seafoam creates problems in my truck on long storage. 3 years in row I had to take the carburetors apart to clean the white powder in fuel bowls from the ethanol when it evaporates. You couldn't drive the truck it ran so bad. I would use ethanol free all year but they charge a dollar more a gallon around here. With social distancing I have not needed gas yet, will probably fill tank on the Riviera today. 

Having lots of time and little else to do (thanks covid) I've read that Seafoam is not the best antidote to water in the line because it contains ethanol. If you can't get pure gas Stabil 360 is recommended as the best bet, although I've also found some comment not to do that, either.