1954 Star Chief Fuel Line

I am having my grandfathers star chief straight 8 sedan towed to my house so I can try and get it running and driving again.  It hasn't been driven in 14 years, although 6 years ago I put a new 6 volt battery in it and got the engine to turn over but it never fired.  I wanted to get the tools and supplied I need together before it gets to me so I can be prepared.  Does anyone know what size fuel line I can get to run from the pump to a gerry can to bypass the old fuel in the tank just to get it running?  Thank you!

5/16" I believe. You will probably also need a 5/16" hose barb with 1/8" pipe threads for the pump. The original setup most likely uses a crimped hose and some 'threaded sleeve" fittings. The fuel pump itself should have pipe threads after you remove the brass fitting.

Consider rebuilding the fuel pump or having it rebuilt. The old pump diaphragm will probably not stand modern gas for more than a few minutes.

• Like 2

Try Kurt Kelsey (KornKurt here on the forum) and California Pontiac Restoration respectively for NOS and reproduction parts.

Then n Now automotive has fuel pump rebuild kits and also a rebuilding service, with modern materials.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bloo said:

5/16" I believe. You will probably also need a 5/16" hose barb with 1/8" pipe threads for the pump. The original setup most likely uses a crimped hose and some 'threaded sleeve" fittings. The fuel pump itself should have pipe threads after you remove the brass fitting.

Consider rebuilding the fuel pump or having it rebuilt. The old pump diaphragm will probably not stand modern gas for more than a few minutes.

no, the original set up was a flexible fuel line with fittings on both ends for the hard fuel line to fuel pump connections, and a 5/16" hard fuel line with fittings going from fuel pump to carburetor.

• Like 1

It was a 5/16 flexible line wasn't it? My 36 had that setup originally, might again now that I have all the parts. The threaded sleeve fittings needed to hook a long line or hose to that stock crimped hose are not readily available in most areas. Thats why I suggested he take all that stuff off and temporarily install a hose barb.

A 5/16 hose barb with 1/8" pipe threads ought to be in any NAPA store. That and a long hose should get him set up to start it on the jerry can.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)