Carlisle

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/06/carlisle-events-issues-statement-on-dept-of-healths-suit-to-close-auto-show.html  The latest info.  Here's hoping this gets settled before tomorrow...

In any case, for the last time...please do not let these threads go down the rabbit hole and this is not the place to debate someone's sexual orientation.  Debate Ford vs Chevy all day but the other stuff is out of here.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Not likely to be settled before the event ends. The Judge refused to grant the DOH request today; and she scheduled more arguments for Friday afternoon. She wondered out loud why the State allowed massive protests to go on without social distancing- at least one attended by the Governor.

These are large and primarily outdoor venues. In a sense, the Carlisle Fairgrounds is similar to Hersheypark. With a planned opening July 3, I imagine the Hersheypark attorneys are watching this closely.

i was there Wednesday; and it was quite easy to maintain social distance. The changes instituted by Carlisle Events to encourage and promote good personal hygiene were appreciated. It’s far more crowded at the grocery store. 

Here is an updated article. 

From what I have heard from those in actual attendance, it has been a good show so far. There are plenty of sellers and lots of eager buyers. Yesterday started slow because it was set up day, but today got busy. A friend of mine who is a vendor said "It has been a slow but very steady build"

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/06/wolfs-march-with-protesters-an-issue-in-pa-health-departments-bid-to-impose-covid-19-caps-on-carlisle-car-show.html

Edited by rusty12 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

No court hearing today!  I will post press release as soon as we get it!  Happy for the Millers and for all of you who have the time to go.  Moving time for AACA so no flea market for me...

So of course the next question does the settlement create a precedence that AACA can also hold its show in Allentown following similar guidelines as the approved settlement. (Rhetorical question that I don't expect an answer to until all the lawyers read the settlement and produce an opinion of course)

After the week’s events, there is no question that Carlisle Events has created a pathway for other events to follow. Create a Covid-19 plan and follow thru with enhanced sanitation and social distancing. After that, the public can make their own choice to attend or not. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, greenie said:

After the week’s events, there is no question that Carlisle Events has created a pathway for other events to follow. ...

---Sort of like Henry Ford, through his company's size

and his own gumption, challenged the Selden patent

and the Association of Licensed Automobile Manufacturers,

and won.  His freedom charted the path for others.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, greenie said:

After the week’s events, there is no question that Carlisle Events has created a pathway for other events to follow. Create a Covid-19 plan and follow thru with enhanced sanitation and social distancing. After that, the public can make their own choice to attend or not. 

Yes, they did. The weak make excuses and the strong create solutions. Kudos to the Miller family.

• Like 2

I just found out that the Glidden tour has just been cancelled, also. I think it's time for the organizers of these events to do what the Carlisle people did. Get your heads out of the sand for Pete's sake...

Frank

Frank,

I wish it were simple to pull off an event in these times.  I have organized a lot of national tours in the last twenty years for different clubs.  I have spent two years working on this Glidden and really tried to make it work.  We are less than 90 days from the start date and in the last two weeks lost over two days worth of things to do, all the food events were in trouble with the NYS guidelines and lack of information, attendance was dropping and this was all making it harder to deal with financially.  Foremost we did not want to endanger our hobbyists not to mention contract commitments, sponsorship and a few other things.  I feel a lot of it was due to NYS and how all aspects of this pandemic have been handled here from the shutdown to where we are today with very little guidance for anything looking out to September.  I had NO control over that just had to suffer with it!  We could not take the chance on being shut down as the event started after investing time, money that would have been non recoverable, liability issues, etc.   If you have ever ran an event you know the myriad of things to consider in making it to the finish and it just was not heading that way for this Glidden in today's world.

Sorry to disappoint you, I am too,

Bill Preston, Tour Director 2020

• Like 1

Thanks Bill, I know you worked hard for this event and would have preferred to move ahead with it.

Not everyone obviously understands the complexities of organizing a tour.   There is a tremendous difference between the Glidden and the Carlisle swap meet.  Carlisle is basically a self-contained activity where the Glidden is not.  The tours rely on the availability of restaurants, museums, and many other attractions along the way.  It's extremely difficult to manage all that and obviously some of the attractions were no longer available, making it too difficult to work with.  So, it's not simply a matter of acting list has been suggested -

2 hours ago, oldford said:

I think it's time for the organizers of these events to do what the Carlisle people did. Get your heads out of the sand for Pete's sake...

Bill, we're sorry to hear this but hang in there for the next opportunity.  Sending you a PM.

Terry

Bill, 

Logistically, the Glidden has multiple planning issues which prove difficult even under "normal" times. If we had faced last year what you faced this year, I'd still be trying to recover! Hang in there!

Phillip 

Many of us understand the complexities of putting on a tour and have done so in the past.  Some of us are just plain tired of all the rules which have been mandated by a select few. None of which have been decided by the people that it effects, just the ruling class. 

• Like 1

I wish everyone could put away the emotion of all these cancellations and realize the complexity of putting on an event during these times, at least for a moment.  Everyone is happy for Carlisle Events but they OWN their property.  This is a far different scenario then for a national car club.  VMCCA has been busting their tail trying to put the event on but they were not in the same position to charge ahead as Carlisle did.  I feel terrible for Bill as I know first hand how thoughtful he has been in trying to put on this event.  He simply does not deserve anything but a "thank you" for working for over a year to do his best so everyone could enjoy the tour.  

Most car clubs are not in the position this year to carry on a legal fight either, even if they won it could take the club "down".  Folks, it is a sad day for the hobby when our most prestigious tour gets canceled but there will be a next year!  Go easy on these people!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Guest Mark McAlpine
4 hours ago, avantey said:

Frank,

I wish it were simple to pull off an event in these times.  I have organized a lot of national tours in the last twenty years for different clubs.  I have spent two years working on this Glidden and really tried to make it work.  We are less than 90 days from the start date and in the last two weeks lost over two days worth of things to do, all the food events were in trouble with the NYS guidelines and lack of information, attendance was dropping and this was all making it harder to deal with financially.  Foremost we did not want to endanger our hobbyists not to mention contract commitments, sponsorship and a few other things.  I feel a lot of it was due to NYS and how all aspects of this pandemic have been handled here from the shutdown to where we are today with very little guidance for anything looking out to September.  I had NO control over that just had to suffer with it!  We could not take the chance on being shut down as the event started after investing time, money that would have been non recoverable, liability issues, etc.   If you have ever ran an event you know the myriad of things to consider in making it to the finish and it just was not heading that way for this Glidden in today's world.

Sorry to disappoint you, I am too,

Bill Preston, Tour Director 2020

Thank you, Bill, for all your efforts to plan and organize what was going to be an outstanding and fun tour.  I'm sorry it had to be cancelled, as I know all the registered participants are, but I and they understand why it necessary under the current circumstances.  Thank you very much for holding off as long as you could, trying to keep the tour on track, before having to make this difficult decision.  I look forward to working with you and Sally Murray (my counterpart at the VMCCA) to come up with the plan for next year's Glidden Tour so we can celebrate the tour's delayed 75th anniversary in style. 

I understand completely why the Hershey swap meet is cancelled and believe you did the right thing,  as much as I dislike missing it,  not knowing what whim the Gov't Might have from moment to moment much less dealing with all the other entities involved and the Clubs limited resources which once invested could be lost at any moment by those same whims we have been experiencing. 

Fortunately Carlisle was able to call them on it and hopefully pave the way for a Fall Saturday show, though I won't be attending,  would still be nice for the rest of you to still be able to atleast salvage the show day.  Hope it is able to proceed and you have stellar weather.

Brenda and I were signed up and were sad to see the Glidden cancelled.  We have chaired several AACA and HCCA tours and have attended a bunch.  As previously stated there are a lot of parts that have to come together to put on one of these events. I would like to see the people who a complaining try to organize one. As the old saying goes " those who do the least complain the most is true.  Many thanks to all of the Glidden group for trying to make this happen in these uncertain times. I'm sure it will be rescheduled when things get back to the Old Normal. Steve and Brenda

To Bill & Steve: If I came across as unsympathetic in the above post, I apologize.

It is frustrating to see ALL events cancelled because of this virus. We have Governors who grab power to take our liberties without the consent of the legislature and are then supported by the courts. We can keep liquor stores open but we can't attend church. I know it is a herculean task to organize a tour of this size and your efforts are not missed by me, believe me, I have organized tours in the past, just not as large. What is most annoying is that i truly believe this entire episode was by design, not happenstance.

Frank

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2020 at 10:34 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

Sure is unfortunate that Hershey and Carlisle are in Pennsylvania, but it is what it is.

For years I've been wishing it would relocate to the southwest, but then again, the chocolate would probably melt too fast.. ;) 

Can't have that.

Word of encouragement to all in the upper east coast or within a reasonable driving distance from Carlisle and Hershey. 

Just be thankful that you are so close to one of the greatest shows on earth. There will always be next year and remember not to blink, it will be here before we all know it.

Your a fortunate bunch and I hope you all recognize that. 

I did and I don't.  Moved to Virginia from Maryland.  That was okay, just two hours further.  I wasn't satisfied so we moved to Florida to get away from snow and taxes.  I was younger then and drove the two days to Hershey, and now it's three days.  And now there is the virus and we can't even go back to look for a new home in Virginia.  So, the man is right, and then too, a late friend quoted me "you can never go back home".  I haven't given up yet, but I'm about to.  I can't do all of the work again myself, and they want $23,000 to move us and do the work too.  Alas Hershey.

By the way, Florida "ain't what it's cracked up to be."

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

"By the way, Florida "ain't what it's cracked up to be"

So true, 'cause it's hot and sticky, and they have bugs.

And you all know that Colorado is closed..................

Don't even think about it...............

Mike in Colorado