48 Lincoln Making paint stick to chrome. Help

Guest Curt Fouse

Guest Curt Fouse

I want to paint the deep grooves that is in the pot metal trim pieces that attach to the rear fenders at the tail lights. These have been replated, but there is still pits down in the grooves. Should these be filled, then painted? Thanks in advance for any help.

Curt Fouse Washington, WV

k8uc@charter.net

Ok Curt, as an old retired body man, here is how I would do it, first mask off the chrome you want to keep, real well with masking tape, then go in to the grooves you want painted with as an abrasive a sharp pointed tool as will fit, and scratch up the chrome plate, which is hard I know, to get a "tooth" that will allow primer to stick to it, spray bombs of laquer primer are fine, when it does stick, use a little "green stuff" putty to fill the pits, let dry thoroughly, and sand smooth with 320 wet or dry sandpaper, prime again when smooth, sand again with 400 sand paper and paint, if you achieve a proper tooth, that will usually do it, but it is a chore, good luck, OC

Dear OC,Just my two cents,might be all its worth.I would do as you say in regards to masking it off then cover the masking tape with duct tape so you can lightly sandblast the chrome,just to roughen it up, not remove it.Good base for whatever you want to top coat it with.diz tongue.giftongue.gif

Yeah Diz, that would work neat if you could do it without blasting the tape off the protected stuff, maybe duct tape over the masking tape, but gently, very gently, really only has to be lightly scratched up for the primer to stick, especially in a deep place like that, OC