sunnybaba

1924 Stutz on C/L $16,500

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Was in the forum earlier this month. 
Also was written up in Feb 1983 Special Interest Auto (SIA), check out the history of the car it was quite interesting. 

Neat car at a very fair price...........lots of fun to drive around the neighborhood............

• Like 1

Why does that manifold confuse me?

Sold at a garage sale two weeks ago for $8,500. They got there before me. The thread two weeks ago had info that the motor was weak. Someone needs to link that thread to this. Still a good buy at this figure though 

15 minutes ago, George Albright said:

Sold at a garage sale two weeks ago for $8,500. They got there before me. The thread two weeks ago had info that the motor was weak. Someone needs to link that thread to this. Still a good buy at this figure though 

Yes I was going to say it was a BETTER deal last week...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So the rate is about 1/2 of what they asked for in the Craig's List?   A great deal at $8,500. 

9 hours ago, George Albright said:

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/345530-two-vintage-cars-at-fresno-estate-sale-franklin-and-stutz/

It's possibly still not a outrageous price depending on what the engine work is going to cost.  But I think the flipper is going to come out the winner in the deal.

Greg in Canada

Probably a great deal three weeks ago for $8,500, a good deal today for $16,500 (or if they can do a touch better then equally great),  and even if you have 10K in a short block you still are doing fine and should be able to break even.  It probably needs a wheel color other than green. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, alsancle said:

That was a smoking deal at 8500.

00W0W_bF9py1xfcMK_0t20lM_1200x900.jpg

A smoking  deal......if the engine wasn’t smoking.

Still cool even for a six banger.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Well, we really don't know how tired the engine is, or why. But it runs, shifts, stops, and diagnosis is fairly easy on a running engine. Flipper scratchin' head, (or whatever), tryin'  to figger effin dis "Sportbroom" is a #2 as someone mistakenly said it is. Just offer him 13 or 14 and stop cryin' over milk which was spilt before you could get to it. Anyway, you couldn't have got to it in time for the $8500. I myself would have if I could have, but I couldn't, even though it was less than 1000 miles from me. I know 13-14 buys a lot of car these days, but this is up there with the real ones in today's Nickel Era market. Maybe the wheel color goes well with that interior, which, by the way, seems a bit questionable to me ? Anyway, buy it. A straight forward revival project.   -    Carl 

The price paid at a garage sale has nothing to do with current value.  If one gets hung up on “gee the guy who bought it is making too much money off it”, then go collect something else.  The point is what it’s worth to you, to enjoy and show off and meet new friends.  You don’t say “gee, the manufacturer of my new car only spent X amount to build the car, why are they asking so much.”  We’ll, maybe you do, not my point here...Value to you is what matters, not cost nor dollars spent previous to you looking to buy car....

• Like 8

Don't forget the other side of that coin! How many here would consider paying two to three times what a car was really worth just because the seller paid too much for it in the first place, and then spent too much having some of the work it needed done? HMM?

To me, this car hurts, for my own personal reasons. I would have (figuratively speaking) killed to be able to get it before these people beat everyone out of it. I am only a five hour drive away, but tied down to sick and needy family and realistically could not have spent the time away (number one reason why I haven't been on tours in several years). Number two, because of that family, I am broke. Couldn't come up with ten thousand dollars right now to save the world. So no matter how much I would have wanted it? No matter how long I would have hoped to keep it and hopefully enjoy it? It wasn't meant to be. Good deals ARE out there. If some of my circumstances change? I may be able to buy something good. If so? Hopefully a good deal on a car I would really love to own and enjoy can come around nearby me then.

Posted (edited)

There are lots of “good deals” on cars ..........today, last year, and in long past years. It’s hard work finding under priced cars..........especially if you only collect something rare, and obscure. Lately, with the marker readjustment of cars under 100k, it’s fair to say there is almost a limitless supply of good deals across the board in this price range. If your inventory heavy with multiple cars now......you have already taken a hit.......many just don’t realize it yet.........others will hang in to their stuff till they die........also nothing new. With lower prices on entry cars, there’s hope for new and younger blood in the hobby. Prices and markets have always fluctuated on collectibles........for the first time in the car hobby, the movement looks like it’s not a temporary trend, but an overall adjustment. Since more than half my cars are in the category that’s falling, it’s an opportunity to reposition what I have...........I have always strived to buy “good cars” ......meaning solid, unmolested examples. Now I just plain insist on the top ten percent of what has survived...........it’s the best bet in holding value into the future. Relax, try and forget about costs to the best extent you can, and drive you cars.......it’s the best return on your investment........and it’s not taxable!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

it is a great looking Stutz and was a great price at the garage sale.  $16000 still fair but as stated the engine status is unknown. The interior and the matching color of the wheels are not stock.  Not big value for the body style but like most here we would love to have it.

Edited by kmstrade (see edit history)

I'd say the interior hurts the car as much as a questionable engine does.

Great looking car overall but two huge strikes against it with engine issues and very poor choice of interior.

If the car is yours and you like it , then it doesn't matter about anything else.  Too many nay sayers .

Yesterday's selling price has nothing to do with the selling price today. Fretting about a previous price is an impediment to the young and a sign of conclusion for the aging.

I can look back over 70 years and tell you of great times steeped in ignorance (uniformed) and naivety.  And I hope there are more to come!

6 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Yesterday's selling price has nothing to do with the selling price today. Fretting about a previous price is an impediment to the young and a sign of conclusion for the aging.

I can look back over 70 years and tell you of great times steeped in ignorance (uniformed) and naivety.  And I hope there are more to come!

You are correct.   But it is hard mental gymnastics when you know you could have paid 1/2 as much if you acted sooner.   Also,  we all can fall for paying for 1/2 of what someone has in a car,  when it is still 2x what the car is worth.

I sold a cheap car for a friend over the weekend. He said he wanted $1,000 for it. I told him I would see what I could do. And also that I would give him the $1,000 on Wednesday. Turned out I got $2400 for it 14 hours later. I gave him $2,000 and kept $400 for my part of the sale. Had it been after Wednesday and consummation of the sale to me I would have kept the whole $1400. We are both quite happy, it is just that I have developed ethical ideas from watching what others have done.

I have seen some shenanigans I would never try to emulate.

39 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I have seen some shenanigans I would never try to emulate.

We have to live with ourselves.

If it were within 100 miles or so of me, then it would probably be in my garage for that around $16,500 price with few questions asked - even if needing an engine rebuild.   

Posted (edited)

I would probably go with a dark yellow wheel (or a charcol grey with perhaps same colo and lighter color belt molding or interesting pinstripe) given the old green vinyl interior - and probably would redo the seats in a tan or grey ribbed Bedford Cord (and leave the rest of the interior alone as it is still a 20's Sedan with limited value - money needs to go into drivetrain). 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)