auburnseeker

1940 Buick Special Convertible sedan on NY Craigslist Not Mine

I saw this 1940 Buick for 19G and though I would repost it here.  Looks like a decent car for the money. 

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/d/deansboro-1940-buick-4dr-convert/7143417034.html

1940 Buick 4dr convert. - $19000 (deansboro)

vary nice 40 Buick convert. for sale. Settling my father in laws estate. Car has always been in heated storage when not in use. Well kept with one repaint. No rust, nice solid running car with vary low mileage. Everything works except radio and clock. No trades will take best offer. Car is located in Maryland.

00c0c_hRRYZhX6uwK_08S0i8_600x450.jpg

01212_e6vHBZM8Ryf_08q0km_600x450.jpg

00j0j_4jARdOQjnVZ_08C0kQ_600x450.jpg

• Like 3

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Tidy car , appears reasonable price to me,  don’t think will be available long 

First underpriced car I have seen in a LONG time.

• Like 5

I could take a spin out there and buy it.  It's only about 2 and 1/4 hours away.  I've never been real fond of 40 Buicks though.  Also not carzy about the bulkiness of a 4 door convertible sedan of this era.  Does look pretty good from what I can see,  which almost makes me want to take a road trip just because. 

But... As a SPECIAL,  aren't they slow (45-50 mph) and clumsy to drive in traffic? 

I keep hearing "if you want a 1940 Buick, you should get into the upper series cars"... Century and the like.. those are the ones that will get into traffic and move along with it.

41 minutes ago, 53 New Yorker said:

But... As a SPECIAL,  aren't they slow (45-50 mph) and clumsy to drive in traffic? 

I keep hearing "if you want a 1940 Buick, you should get into the upper series cars"... Century and the like.. those are the ones that will get into traffic and move along with it.

Some body misleading you!  Century is probably snappier but not by much. When I was 17 I had a 1940 Special 4 door.  I PROMISE it ran more than 45-50.  Handling should be about sameas upper series, condition being equal.

Ben

• Like 2

Hi Ben,

Perhaps you are right about being mis lead...  But I remember reading about the Specials being a slower car in the Buick part of this forum,  when there was a fellow looking for a 1937-38 or 40 Buick... and the advice being given to him was that he should look for one of the larger cars, because the Specials are slower running cars. 

I am sure there are some who think that.  Bet they never owned one.  A lot of folks think that cars of the '50s are slow. They just do not know.

Ben

• Like 1

I had a 40 special convertible. It would cruise at 65-70 all day long on the highway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 53 New Yorker said:

I had a 39 Special 4dr convertible for 34 years and it drove fine for me.  Will run along okay at 60 and even 65 works pretty good.  If it has the optional 3.9 rear it runs faster than the standard 4.44-1.  I never liked the '40 too much either, but I would buy this car in a NY minute if I could get to Maryland during this pandemic.  I lived in Maryland for 32 years and don't remember ever seeing this car.  Also I don't see any contact information here.

Ben is correct in everything he stated about the 1940, and the Special series. Define "slow", as compared to what? How fast you can get it up to 55 mph compared to a larger series car that has the 320 cu in engine? To me it is like comparing a Packard standard 8 to a Super 8 ,  you can both get to the same speed and the less costly series doesn't take an additional 45 minutes to do so. I have never ridden in a pre war Buick that had 8 cylinders and felt like it was breathing hard at any speed. Biggest drawback of a convertible sedan is that rearward vision with the top up is zilch. You have to have mirrors mounted at the vent window area to see anything  rearward, if you don't you can't see diddly squat. I have driven /ridden in both the Special series and the Roadmaster  and handling is fine as is shifting. Styling is the choice of the person looking at it, I think the 1940 Buick has very clean lines, no extra bits added to enhance the styling. Bumpers are not over powering the total look either. If the 1940 was not to great how come a well known collector and Buick guy in Ohio has chosen 1940 as his favorite year and has a pile of them in his own collection?  ( Hi Doug! 🙂)

Hard to judge until you have tried one.   Yes, this is being spoken with a bit of bias as I do own a 1940 Buick and absolutely love it .  I was not influenced to favor Buicks by any family experience - no one ever owned one and all the guys who had old cars when I got into them never really had them either, they just weren't around to be seen.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Also I don't see any contact information here.

Hidden in Contact at the top

• Bob

•  

(315) 749-3547

Sooner or later, most owners of a small series Buick ask about changing the gears to make them more highway friendly. It isn't that they're not capable of running at highway speeds (my '41 Super convertible ran at 60 MPH and the '40 Super convertible I currently have feels pretty happy at 55) but they just start to sound busy. To a lot of enthusiasts accustomed to late-model cars with overdrives and good sound insulation, an old engine spinning at 3500 RPM sounds like you're abusing it. It can be stressful, not enjoyable. You're probably not hurting it, but it doesn't change the way it feels. And the way an old car feels is the whole reason we drive them, is it not?

So yes, this car WILL cruise at 60 MPH without issues. The large series cars are less stressful at that speed and conversely, are faster at that level of stress. That's no surprise. But it's a mistake to say that the small series cars aren't capable or worthwhile, because they do many things quite well--they turn and stop better and feel livelier around town, and if the only driving you do is suburban and country roads, you'll love it. If you want to hammer out 1000 miles of interstate in a day, well, a small series car is going to work pretty hard to do it whereas a large series car will be a better high-speed cruiser. My Limited is pretty happy at 60-65 and Centurys and Roadmasters with even better gearing can run 70 MPH without hurting themselves.

And honestly, at $19K for a convertible sedan, I'd be willing to deal with it. That's still A LOT of car for the money.

• Like 4

Hello everyone

I'm encouraged by everyone's expert knowledge and sharing your experience with these 1940 Buicks. 

I have wanted a convertible in my garage for almost as long as I can remember...  I have an appointment to see the car,  but the way schedules and work/vacations are planned, it will be 2 weeks before the calendar lines up to make this happen....  I hope it is still available when the time comes for me to drive over and see it in person.

I've been told it is an "amateur restoration", with some issues...   But, aren't all old cars going to have an "issue" or two...  Let me tell you about the 1925 Franklin I drive someday! LOL

• Thanks 1

Matt has stated that very well. We judge older cars against what we drive now or a 1940 car against a 1955 or newer car. Maybe it is because that is all we have ever had the opportunity to compare it with.

By the early 1940s Buick quality and sales started to nudge Cadillac sales, the torpedo body panels shared by Buick and Cadillac in the early 1940s were much if not exactly the same. I recall talking to a fellow CCCA member and friend from Florida at a gathering in Savannah , Georgia.  He had a wonderful 1940 Cadillac series 62 conv. sedan and was fretting because the seat adjusting handle for the front seat was worn or cracked and not working well. I went and looked at it with him and after removing it noted the number cast inside , it sure looked familiar. I got home and looked at the one on my 1940 Buick Roadmaster conv sedan and it was the exact same handle! I let hm know and he found a NOS handle to replace the worn one.

Reread what Matt has to say, he and I have both put a few miles on the 1940-41 era Buicks and I agree that in and around town the smaller series are easier to maneuver. Not that the larger series cars are bad, but they are just bigger! like any other bigger car of any make you need more room to turn it. My experience with my own car is knowing what a car was like when it was new or near new as the one I own , although restored cosmetically, has less then 50,000 miles on it.  Before I bought it well over a decade ago , my opinion of Buicks were that they were really good/ fine  cars, since I have owned mine - that has not changed at all they are great cars. The only thing I question is why the heaters ( under seat and under the dashboard on the fire wall) are so efficient. Turn them on and within  10 minutes or less the heat will melt the dashboard knobs, and your zipper shut!  The switch should say ' furnace ' rather then heater. 🤨

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just to add to the discussion. I have both a Special and a Roadmaster. Yes, the Roadmaster is faster and can move in traffic like a modern car. The Special is slower to start, but once up to speed, it runs great at 55 plus. 

Again, for the money. That is a great deal on a 4 door convertible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

• Bob

•  

(315) 749-3547

Thanks, but after a number of really bad experiences I don't buy anything sight unseen.  Also, I have never, personally, been a fan of the 1940 model except for the rounded torpedo body Super and Roadmaster.  Still, it's a good buy/sell piece with a new $2500 top.

4 hours ago, MrEarl said:

• Bob

•  

(315) 749-3547

315 is a Syracuse, New York area code. In another thread on the Buick Club forum, someone said there is a "Maryland, New York" so I'm willing to bet this car is in New York state somewhere around Syracuse. Heck of a deal for someone who wants one of these very rare cars. Only 552 of the Special convertible sedans made in 1940. There's one that shows up in the Hershey car corral the last several years, with an asking price over $40,000.

Yes, the CL ad shows the location of the seller as Deansboro, which is in between Syracuse and Utica.  Sounds like the car itself is located in Maryland, which is just a bit southeast of Utica near Cooperstown.  Heck, sounds like a perfect situation -- go see the car and visit the Baseball Hall of Fame at the same time!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Some body misleading you!  Century is probably snappier but not by much. When I was 17 I had a 1940 Special 4 door.  I PROMISE it ran more than 45-50.  Handling should be about sameas upper series, condition being equal.

Ben

@Ben Bruce aka First Born It sounds like there’s a former 17 year old’s story there...

just found out, this car has been sold.. "sight un-seen" and will be going out of the country to Germany.

Posted (edited)

You guys give the 248 cars a bad rap.  I owned a '39 Special coupe and a '48 Super sedanet both were fine on the streets or highways.  If you like Buicks that go fast buy a GS out of the 60's.  Since this car is going out of country I hope the seller stuck to his price.  Americans are cheap but Europeans will pay for what they want!  I have mixed emotions selling pieces of Americana out of country; it's what made this country what it is today.  Today's strife in this country is exactly what I am referring to.  From taking down statues of history and burning flags to selling old cars out of country.

Edited by deac (see edit history)