FS - 1974 Corvette

That's a nice looking car Sam, and a fair price for a convertible.

What drive train and options does the car have?

Cheers, Greg

Corvette.thumb.jpg.abd43cf18d2ea2f1ea6f1a646012e532.jpg.1d0c916a8d4ff3cd920c6f03c98ef5c2.jpg

Greg will know better but I think after 74, black was not available for a few years, I want to say till 78 or 79.  Odd, because the 74-77 C3 cars look nice in black.  Drivetrain, owner history makes a big difference with these cars. 

On vettes one of the first things I look for are what type of tires does it have.  Mismatched, cheapie tires are a red flag.   Goodyear, Goodrich, etc. May be a clue the owner went with better parts on any recent work.  No gaurantee of course, but a start.  No super discount tires on this one, a plus for starters.

Price looks reasonable enough, especially if its a stick.  

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

2 hours ago, factoryben said:

Black was discontinued after the 1969 model year for Corvette. It returned in 1977.

I was about to reply that same statement. The bodywork from the St Louis plant made for some wavy cars along with the very thin laquer used. That showed the body seams even in classic GM code #10 Can-Am white. Made it easy to tell a Corvette with a hit/fixed body back then. Black re-paints needed a lot of board sanding to look decent after lots of build up in Fiberglas.

9 hours ago, SamBoll said:

My Dad is selling his 1974 Corvette. Clean title, asking $16,500. Located in Sedgewickville, MO. Please call Sam at 573-270-0915.

Corvette.jpg

Front bumper is a 1975-79 unit. 73-74 did not have the black painted extrusions and a much smaller license plate recess as well as different grills.

Not knocking the car, but it will bring lots of critic's if no explanation provided.

By 1967 orders for Black painted Corvettes had dropped dramatically to just several hundred cars out of 23,000. Even less were ordered in black for the '68 model year with a complete body restyle. It was the late 60's/early 70's and bright colors were popular everywhere. Black just screamed "Grandpa's Plymouth" so GM dropped it off the regular order sheets, although black was available from 1970 to '76 as a special order and a few were done each year (particularly in 1973). Surprisingly, when black was reintroduced in 1977 it was a tremendous success and the second best selling color of the 12 choices offered.

I recognized this '74 as a color change, but it makes for a sharp looking car. And there's always the slim chance this was one of those special paint order cars. Now THAT would make it very cool.

Greg

Oh, the suspense is just KILLING me ! It might be a bit premature, and speculation is so much fun, but why not one of you guys who speaks fluent Corvette give Sam a call, as he kindly invites ? Sam is helping his dad sell several cars here, with at least some of what that implies. Please decide among yourselves who is up to the task of helping Sam help his dad, and report back here. In the case that a quorum is lacking, or a butting of heads results in paralysis or stagnation, I suggest Greg becomes default inquisitor. Sam asks you to please call him at : 573-270-0915. I am confident he will, and certainly I, thank you very much !     -     CC.  (That stands for Curious Carl tonight)

• Like 1

...to be shouldered with the mantle of "inquisitor" when I was content with merely being "pursuivant" is an honor not be taken lightly.

I'll call Sam in the morning Carl and put your curiosity to rest. :lol:

I am trying to get in touch with my Dad. I will hopefully clear some things up for you today. My Dad’s name is Sam and the number listed is his. I am his loving daughter... He doesn’t have internet service or a computer out where he lives. 

• Like 1

More details...

350 motor with a 4 speed transmission (standard)

repainted black

no air

crank windows

power steering and brakes

steering wheel doesn't tilt or telescope

not aware of any rust issues underneath

My Dad has owned the car for a little over 3 years. He bought from a man in Illinois.

Thank you everyone so much for being so kind. I appreciate all the questions and help. :)

Also, I will post more pictures as soon as my nephew sends them. There is also a short video of the car with the motor running.

• Like 1

For that kind of money, I don't think anyone is going to worry about correctness or winning awards. It's just a fun, good-looking Corvette convertible to enjoy. The price is certainly right and the hardware is bulletproof so you can just go out and have some fun without thinking twice about anything but hitting the next shift just right.

5 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

No AC, crank windows, stick roadster should be appealling.  A lot of folks like the somewhat unusual lower option combos on these cars. Great info to add to the description.

Yes this is true for some Corvette fans. I know a few older guys who frowned upon power steering and brakes as "sissy options" on these cars. I'm the opposite. The very tight interior dimensions on the C3 models as well as poor ventilation and insulation from engine heat make power windows and A/C a must for me in my senior years. 

I had a 74 454 convertible in my 20's. No A/C. It was nasty hot and claustrophobic with the top up. A fun ride with the top down.