Flaps list but do not have.

padgett

Does this happen often: Had GM part number for 1989. Seasrch on Google, several hits with prices. Order even though shipping is high. Day later get email saying "discontinued". At least they cancelled the order and charge.  Does this happen a lot ?

Yes. A lot of companies will not update sites because of cost AND it draws customers in that may buy something they do have because they will bundle the shipping. You end up paying very high shipping for a minor piece you didn’t really need but may want. 
Nothing you can do about it. 
dave s 

• Thanks 1

I too hate when something is listed but not available.

I have made a few eBay purchases that even show shipped and a tracking number is given only to be cancelled.

This really sucks when I am trying to stay on schedule.

I ordered some foundation vent covers from an online supplier and it turns out that their warehouse is about twelve miles from me and items will be here tomorrow.

Didn't show so I waited the 5 to 7 business days that they suggested.

The tracking number showed that FedEx had picked up the covers but that was it.

Seller said FedEx had the order but FedEx said they didn't have the order.

It then got to where I was calling the help line every day asking where my parts were. Got the same scripted answer daily for about a week.

Finally got a lady on the phone that at least showed some compassion and she canceled my order while I was on the phone with her.

The nice lady told me to reorder as they show as being in inventory at that local warehouse.

I reordered against my better judgment, but the new order showed up the next day.

Finally got going on that project but it cost me almost three weeks.

Finally got a refund from an order that FedEx showed as delivered to my address but wasn't here. Took three weeks before could convince someone that they weren't here. Guess that's why Amazon takes a photo of the delivery.

It was a common practice to keep discontinued parts in the catalog for a period of time to give the warehouse distributors and jobbers (flaps) time to sell out of their inventory. The manufactures did not want the returns if they could avoid it. It sounds like some may still be doing it but it does surprise me in the age of electronic catalogs.

It is also possible one supplier has discontinued the part in their system but it is still available from the manufacturer and other suppliers. 

Dave

Edited by Dave39MD (see edit history)