Buying a unusual 65 Mercury

junkyardjeff

My 65 Custom 500 needs too much body repair so I put a deposit on a 65 mercury Montclair 4 door sedan that has a 3 speed over drive trans,it only needs some quarter panel repairs that my 65 needs but does not need a trunk floor and trunk seal lip repairs and the roof is nice and straight were someone in the past sat on my roof.  The only thing I do not like is that it has in dash a/c,I had a 65 country Squire that had it and was a fight to just get the heat working,I now know what I am doing on them and do have some used and NOS a/c parts left over from the wagon. With the rear window that rolls down I am not going to be in a hurry to get the a/c working but since the heat and a/c has not been molested I hope it will work enough for heat for now.

101848800_10219688904585808_6633630003993678410_n.jpg

101545619_10219688905425829_1743596436789357986_n.jpg

102373392_10219688904985818_5375855741748034348_n.jpg

• Like 4

Wow, a three speed Mercury. And Overdrive to boot!👍

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

Those "breezeway" back windows are great. Make sure you post some pics when you get it home and cleaned up and running.... :)

Did you see this one for $1800 in Indiana with a rebuilt 390 which also has a stick? It looks pretty clean....

I "believe" that IS the same car.

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

Those "breezeway" back windows are great. Make sure you post some pics when you get it home and cleaned up and running.... :)

Did you see this one for $1800 in Indiana with a rebuilt 390 which also has a stick? It looks pretty clean....

I saw that. Looked like a screamin' deal.

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

... the tires, which were dreadful.

007.jpg

Yes, I agree on those dreadful looking tires.

WWW’s give cars of this (& later) era a definitive (or at least, suggestive) appearance of a “P*mp-mobile” (not that there’s anything wrong with “that”, I guess ?). 🙄

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

What caught my attention on this '65 Montclair was the manual shift with overdrive.  In 1972, my father bought a pair of '67 Mercurys, both four door hardtops.  The Monterey was 390 Merc-O-Matic had taken a front hit, needed another front clip.  Montclair was a towing package 410 with four speed on the floor!  It had been hit in the rear, gave its front clip to the Monterey, its 410 and four speed to guys setting up drag cars if I recall correctly.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 3:26 PM, junkyardjeff said:

It is the same car.

Hopefully it will get noticed at car shows.  It must be very rare option in a Mercury of that year, with a two-digit, or very low three-digit production figure.   The only car I ever saw that comes close to this one was a 1965 (Canadian) Meteor Rideau which was a genuine taxi-package car in an autowrecker's yard several years ago.  If I remember right, it was the 240 six cylinder with standard transmission.  I wish I looked to see if it had OD or not.

I'm currently restoring a 1965 Studebaker Cruiser six-cylinder with an overdrive transmission, which was one of 74 made with that engine/transmission combination.  I have the Production Order from the Studebaker National Museum confirming it.

Unfortunately, your car is older than 1967, which is the earliest year one can obtain a Marti Report, that would provide a breakdown of the number of cars which had your engine & transmission combination.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

5 hours ago, 8E45E said:

I'm currently restoring a 1965 Studebaker Cruiser six-cylinder with an overdrive transmission, which was one of 74 made with that engine/transmission combination.  I have the Production Order from the Studebaker National Museum confirming it.

Craig

Did Studebaker still put the Borg Warner R10 or R11 overdrive unit in their cars in '65?  I know they did in the 1950's because they apparently had the same unit as my '54 Ford, which I'd like to get working again. It would be interesting to know if Jeff's recent old Mercury has the same unit, too. I know they used the R10 for a while, but I don't know how long. Good luck with your Cruiser restoration project.

The '65 Mercury has one of my favorite dashboards ever, and it's hard to go wrong with a Breezeway window.  I think you did really well here, but as my screen name attests, I think 1965 is the best model year for cars.  If the Mercury were mine, I think I'd repair the rust behind the wheels, try to wheel out the paint to get some gloss back, and spot paint my patches.  Then I'd just clean it up and drive it and repair things as needed. 

Edited by Aaron65 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Clutch not releasing? i.e.stuck clutch?

Does it shift into 1st and reverse with the engine not running?

Disconnect the 1-R  link to the transmission bellcrank and see if the transmission shifts OK.  

If so, time to R&R column and clean it up. They usually need the lower bearing adjusted anyway from years of wear.

Found the problem of no first and reverse,there is another lever going from the clutch linkage to first and reverse linkage where the clutch has to be in for it to shift out of those gears. It was not adjusted right so it got removed until I can get it up enough to work under it so I will do that when I check the brakes.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I got one rear wheel cylinder replaced (other will be in Monday) along with the rear springs and shocks and new rear brake hose and lines,the other night I got the interior and trunk lights working.  I think the reason the brakes have a good pedal but nothing is the hoses are collapsed,could not blow air through the rear one.  Waiting on parts to put the gas tank back in and should be able to start on the front brakes late next week.

• Like 2