Just Sayin'...

I think the AACA logo is really great.

Using, essentially, ten simple lines, they've summed up a considerable portion of this hobby.

Very clever.

Anyone know who's design it was?

aaca-new-b-w.thumb.jpg.b473f504536a5de12eb6841e9b748ebc.jpg

50 minutes ago, Billy Kingsley said:

I'm surprised that with the definite focus on pre-war cars that a noticably 20s or older car didn't make the logo. I do like the logo, and the art deco inspired font, but I'm still surprised.

Steve can elaborate further as I am confident he will.  In short it was designed to promote inclusiveness of the hobby as a whole.  The long standing Duryea logo was fine for years.  The club saw a need to welcome all hobbyists of whom have a common interest in old vehicles 25 years old and older plus entice those who do not even own an old car.  "We hobbyist' members and non-members can obtain assistance or just discuss automotive interests". 

Both logos show the AACA as representing the time period of pre-war thru post war to the present.

Peter J.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, padgett said:

Well the design is really Art Deco so has a 20's flavour.

I agree, Padgett.  Art Deco that displays post WWII vehicles.

While I like the logo and consider it well done, it does reflect about 1940-1970 give or take, certainly no earlier than 1938. I'm sure the same artist if given a 1915 touring, a 1932 coupe, a 1950 finned  wonder, and a 1970 Muscle car of the right sequence/proportions, could create the same  nice image.

• Like 2

To be clear, it's not the AACA logo. It's a marketing image. The official logo is, and will always be the Duryea in the blue oval. I'm sure Steve will elaborate.

Terry

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

To be clear, it's not the AACA logo. It's a marketing image. The official logo is, and will always be the Duryea in the blue oval. I'm sure Steve will elaborate.

Terry

Terry, thanks for the clarification on the marketing image versus AACA logo.

As someone who likes the marketing image, It would be nice to see it on more AACA merchandise especially the clothing. 

14 hours ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

In short it was designed to promote inclusiveness of the hobby as a whole.  The long standing Duryea logo was fine for years.  The club saw a need to welcome all hobbyists of whom have a common interest in old vehicles 25 years old and older plus entice those who do not even own an old car.  "We hobbyist' members and non-members can obtain assistance or just discuss automotive interests". 

Both logos show the AACA as representing the time period of pre-war thru post war to the present.

Peter J.

All the more reason to include the "inclusive' marketing image on a version of the denim Judges Shirts and not just limit these shirts to the AACA Club logo only.

I would purchase a couple of judges shirts with the marketing logo on them in a heartbeat. If producing these shirts is too costly how about a a nice pin with the market logo on it that judges could wear along with their traditional judges shirt?

Guest Mark McAlpine
5 hours ago, charlier said:

Terry, thanks for the clarification on the marketing image versus AACA logo.

As someone who likes the marketing image, It would be nice to see it on more AACA merchandise especially the clothing. 

All the more reason to include the "inclusive' marketing image on a version of the denim Judges Shirts and not just limit these shirts to the AACA Club logo only.

I would purchase a couple of judges shirts with the marketing logo on them in a heartbeat. If producing these shirts is too costly how about a a nice pin with the market logo on it that judges could wear along with their traditional judges shirt?

You can get shirts, jackets, hats, patches, etc., with the Art Deco image.  There are more options available at the Merchandise tent/trailer at AACA Nationals than what is on the club website.

Not wanting to offend anyone, or group. Not intending to begin an argument or even significant discussion (although some discussion could be a good thing?). But I never really GOT the whole "Art Deco" thing. Nothing against it in any way. I have been around it, known many members of the San Francisco Art Deco Society, and many of them are among what I consider my long-time best friends. But "Art Deco" has been stretched to include so many artistic styles, from the elaborate classical of the 1910s through the straight angular and flowing lines popular during the 1930s on into the '50s and '60s bizarre colors.

I have heard it defined in several ways, none of which really fit the common usages of the term. Most things (except for some of the '50s and '60s stuff?) described as "art Deco" I do like, most very much. Whether a classic theater of the '30s, or an automobile dash cluster of the same era, I like it. As for the earlier elaborate with flowers and vines, gargoyles, all with fancy curves and archways? I love that stuff! And whether it is correct or not, both extreme styles have often been called "Art Deco".

As for the logo in question. I do have to say that I am an "antique" automobile person. I lean toward the brass or horseless carriage eras, and through the so-called "nickel age". My serious interest begins to drop after about 1927 to '29. That said, I love a lot of the cars of the '30s, especially the higher end cars. While I can appreciate post-war cars, they don't really interest me very much. All that said, I DO like the logo in question. I appreciate the AACA and all it does for the hobby as a whole. I am very grateful that they continue to focus as much as they do on the earlier cars. I ALSO am very appreciative that they do such a fine job of balancing both the earlier and later collector cars into a single club, with activities and articles for all.

When they made the change almost fifty years ago, jumping from advancing only one year for every two calendar years, and from the late '30s to a fixed 25 year rule (how many people remember that?),  I would have never guessed they would manage to do such a fine job of it. I wish to thank all that donate so much of their time to make it all happen so well.

Although some might think I would be offended by the "lack" of my preferred earlier cars in such a marketing logo? I am not. I think it is attractive, and basically speaks to the main intent of the club. Whether the marketing logo shows a 1910 car or not, I see it as saying "collector cars through the years". 

That is my opinion.