Sign in to follow this  
D-a-n-i-e-l

Black with blue interior

Red looks much better.

47 minutes ago, padgett said:

Red looks much better.

but a rather common combo 

Back in the 60's and 70's black with blue interior was rather common.  If there were no 91's a 1 of 1 would be fun to own 

White with Blue interior and a blue convertible top now.

blutop3.jpg

I have often wondered why dealers ordered the colors that they did.

Of course their objective was to sell cars....and they might have a pretty good idea of what colors sell.

Forgive me if you own one but to me the dullest Reatta combination was silver with grey/slate interior.  (I have owned 2)

Silver with blue is a striking combination.   Silver with tan would even work but was not offered.  Silver with Red is also a good combination but seldom ordered.

Looking at 1990 information....as an example of what the dealer had to work with.... The Product Manual (printed in 8/89) indicated that Bright Red was only offered with Saddle interior,  but from actual build information of the 2041 Red coupes made,  1711 had Saddle, 318 had Grey,  and 12 had Red

(we know this was a special order "color override" as the 1990 red interior was more burgundy and until I saw one did not think it would work but it is ok)

What seems to work best is a strong contrast. Dark exterior and light interior or verse the vice. The only real exception seems to be triple black. Of course what you do to your car is personal taste., I like my triple blue coupe.

Guess I will be looking for a white one to paint...

Full teardown prior of course.

I love all the word color combos. But there’s some good looking ones I don’t understand why there weren’t more made. For example the Maui blue with saddle interior 90 verts. 

• Like 1

Or Driftwood with the dark red, stunning combination.   Even the Silver & Gray ones with red are scarce, another great combo. As Kevin said, the Maui with saddle is awesome 

I'm kinda partial to white with flame red interior....

• Like 1

You can never go wrong with a white exterior and a bright red interior, they should have had the flame

red from day one 

• Thanks 1

OTOH I really like a BRG exterior with a saddle interior. Special ordered a couple of cars like that.

After a few decades.

goatwgn.jpg

Should have ordered a 1991 Polo Green with Flame Red interior....... no one else would have the guts to do that.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Should have ordered a 1991 Polo Green with Flame Red interior....... no one else would have the guts to do that.

I might have.

I love Christmas XD

The sapphire blue with red would have looked cool too. I’d love to fine one of the four driftwood and red cars If any are still around. There was so much potential for cool combos. A shame more didn’t happen. 

I loved the yellow '69 Z28 Camaros. A friend of mine bought one new and I have wanted one ever sense . I guess that is why I  like this yellow Reatta. I wonder if there are any rally wheels that would fit a Reatta?

644599515_yellowreatta2.png.38f249485818f2dd90af138532bf53a8.png

Posted (edited)

Back then we used to have a real set of wheels waiting for the new car to be delivered. Had a set of 7x15 Ansens waiting for my Buick GS to be delivered in 1970. Were not any alloy factory wheels in '70 however I have 8x15 factory snowflakes from '78 on my Judge. Same for my Reatta, had a set of 7x16 Enkeis  within a week of its arrival. Putting 6x15 wheels on the Reatta when even a Fiero had 7's was beancounters at work

Meanwhile I have some 17x9 Minilite clones that may wind up on the Allante....

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Back in the day we had a local machine shop that would cut the rally wheels into two pieces and weld in a 2 or 3 inch steel band to make them wider. They actually looked really good when you put the wide chrome trim rings on them. A lot of the guys who had the wide rally wheels would go to the races at Bristol and get some used (worn out) tires from the Nascar guys and put them on their widened rally wheels. The Nascar tires really looked good on the rear but after being raced at Bristol the rubber was so hard that traction was almost nonexistent.  Yeah, those were the days when cars were a lot more fun.  :)

Think I still have some steel wheels, mostly 5x4 1/2 trailer, one set of 14x6 for the Judge and some 15x7 Grand Prix Rallys all 5x4 3/4.  It is hard beeping track of all the bolt patterns. Know I have 5x112, 5x115, 5x120, & 5x4 3/4. Vixen used 5x5 but do not think I have any of those left. May have some 5x100 Fiero wheels, need to gather a team for a dig in the back garage, been piling stuff for 35 years.

• Haha 1

Padgett ..... guy down the street has a Fiero GT with a 3800 supercharged engine for sale..... looks like a really nice car.

I helped him put in a new shift cable shortly after he purchased it... seems the cable gets too close to the exhaust and gets real sluggish

then will  hardly move. 

If we want to go way back.... I purchased a 1955 Special 2dr from a cousin.  We needed a second car and had purchased a lot thinking about building.

I thought the Buick needed some high flotation tires if we were building.   I lived within a mile of the plant where I worked and had access after normal hours.

I made some extra wide 15 inch steel wheels by cutting two stock rims to combine the inner flat and then welding them back together. 

Maintenance had a big lathe, I chucked them in the lathe, made the cuts with a little bevel.   Staged them on a surface plate,  squared the two halves up with a dial indicator then tack welded the  seam.

Moved the wheel to a set of conveyor rollers and finished the weld.   Never tried them without a inner tube ....that was about 1964 and the largest tire I could find was

820 x 15 they looked a little odd....the rims ended up around 7 inch wide.

Lets just say I've had enough Fieros and am into larger cars. When the world went SUV suddenly the Fiero roof was under the window line and they thought the next lane was empty. Finally decided even air horns were not enough so moved to a larger Reatta. Still prefer small quick two seaters but now have passed the SLK stage. Keeping my SLK230 five speed but someone wants my SLK320. Thought I wanted an XLR but decided on an 89 Allante with hardtop for a quarter the price and half the miles. 89 has the larger engine and no airbags. My kind of car. Meanwhile still have my 88 Reatta and probably always will.

On 6/15/2020 at 11:23 AM, 63viking said:

Most boring color combo "RED & TAN interior.

20180624_223833.thumb.jpg.503f18584fabc879aeb59a26c01ac054.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 6/15/2020 at 11:23 AM, 63viking said:

Most boring color combo "RED & TAN interior.

I know for a fact that this is a Boring car.

1713316365_fall2018-7.thumb.jpg.f09ac2f32c69755fe6bf372551ce066f.jpg

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2