The ‘63 Corvair Spyder is liberated!

I own (for 31 years) and restored a 1964 Spyder with wire wheels... they are lovely cars to drive; I use mine daily when the weather is nice.  If you have questions about this car, feel free to contact me: drjoewest at icloud dot com.

Joe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't blame your father about the pipeline, Why the hell they decided to put that ugly line right through the middle of this pretty area is beyond me.

Even with tons of people opposing it, it is still going through.  I have seen it further west of Harper and it is a swatch about 100 yards wide with no vegetation.

UGLY.

• Like 1

Was the problem with the engine belts coming off of the pulleys ever solved?

As a teenager I drove a '61 Corvair when I was  delivering for the local drug store. Putting that belt back on was a constant chore.

Yes there is a small cover that attaches to the pulley and you can spring load the pulley. Clark's should have everything you need. I used to autocross a 65 Corsa with a Quadrajet on top and trombones underneath and a 3.89 posi in the middle. Added the spring to all of my Corvairs.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PeteO said:

As a teenager I drove a '61 Corvair when I was  delivering for the local drug store. Putting that belt back on was a constant chore.

Well, we all know WHY that belt kept coming off, don't we!😁 

That was the drag racer's trick back in the early 60s. Pop the belt off when leaving the traffic light and get 15 more horsepower!

Powerglide equipped Corvairs had very long belt life. 👍

1964 got both of the bet guards, top shroud at the fan pulley and on the idler pulley:

"All Corvair Models produced after November 29, 1963, are equipped with subject guides to afford greater belt durability and to prevent belt roll-over."

And of course, putting the belt on real tight is the other reason it keeps coming off. Leave it loose enough to turn the alternator/generator pulley fan with the engine off with the force of a finger or two. Lives a long time then.

• Like 1

I must be the luckiest guy in the world. My belt never came off. Not once. When first getting the car I was told to get a spare belt and keep it under the seat because I "WILL" need it someday just as sure as it rains in Portland. When I sold that car the new belt was still under the seat. Can't remember my cousin ever loosing his belt either. What the heck were we doing wrong? :confusion-confused:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fossil said:

Can't remember my cousin ever loosing his belt either. What the heck were we doing wrong? :confusion-confused:

Not driving it "spiritedly" enough!

Or, you had a Powerglide and did drive it hard.  140 PG is a great combination, and belt life is long.

17 hours ago, Fossil said:

I must be the luckiest guy in the world. My belt never came off. Not once. When first getting the car I was told to get a spare belt and keep it under the seat because I "WILL" need it someday just as sure as it rains in Portland. When I sold that car the new belt was still under the seat. Can't remember my cousin ever loosing his belt either. What the heck were we doing wrong? :confusion-confused:

Just goes to prove, The parts you bring wont be the parts you need.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Not driving it "spiritedly" enough!

That I can guarantee you was not the case. That poor Corvair  lived a hard life. Working in an auto service dept. might have inspired me to check the belt tension more often than normal. 

It was the two door,  two carb and three speed on the floor version. 

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)

On 6/18/2020 at 12:45 AM, Bill Stoneberg said:

I wouldn't blame your father about the pipeline, Why the hell they decided to put that ugly line right through the middle of this pretty area is beyond me.

Even with tons of people opposing it, it is still going through.  I have seen it further west of Harper and it is a swatch about 100 yards wide with no vegetation.

UGLY.

That’s true Bill. He fought a propane company that moved across the street from his garage. I found articles and legal notes and heard stories. Now I hear big new electricity towers are going in nearby also. The poor people that live there. 

My uncle Francis bought a new 64 Monza coupe, black, red interior, power glide. He took my mother ( his younger sister) my brother, 7 yrs old & me 9 yrs old from Halifax Nova Scotia Canada to Woodstock Ontario summer of 64. We went thru Maine, New Hampshire, New York, etc  and into Ontario thru Niagara Falls to Toronto.

I will never forget Petula Clark's "Downtown" on that AM radio in downtown Toronto.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Well, we all know WHY that belt kept coming off, don't we!😁 

That was the drag racer's trick back in the early 60s. Pop the belt off when leaving the traffic light and get 15 more horsepower!

Powerglide equipped Corvairs had very long belt life. 👍

1964 got both of the bet guards, top shroud at the fan pulley and on the idler pulley:

"All Corvair Models produced after November 29, 1963, are equipped with subject guides to afford greater belt durability and to prevent belt roll-over."

And of course, putting the belt on real tight is the other reason it keeps coming off. Leave it loose enough to turn the alternator/generator pulley fan with the engine off with the force of a finger or two. Lives a long time then.

This one was built in March of ‘63. Not surprisingly, I found a couple extra belts in the frunk. I’m sure they are too old to use now. 

11 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Guess I was trying to say that my cars did what they wanta do.  Only remember a guide, maybe it had a spring. 52 years is a LONG time.

Your memory is better than mine. I don't remember either one of them. 

Spring loaded idler was sold until recently. Only racers (drag, autocross, circle, road) use them. Others put them on because they look neat, not because they are needed.

The belt guards came only on 1964 and newer engines.

• Like 1

I had them on all of my Corvairs, of course autocrossed most but you never know. Never threw a belt but now overly tight either. Probably still have a Corsa dash and new carbs somewhere...

springidler.jpg

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, padgett said:

I had them on all of my Corvairs, of course autocrossed most but you never know. Never threw a belt but now overly tight either. Probably still have a Corsa dash and new carbs somewhere...

springidler.jpg

I have a couple extra Spyder dashes, some emblems and other misc parts. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)