1965 Mercury Wiper Vacuum Line Routing

I need to know how the vacuum lines for the intermittent wiper system are routed.  There are two ports on the delay modulator and three ports on the wiper switch.  The lines on my Colony Park were cut when I got the car.  The shop manual mentions nothing about the intermittent function except how the switch should be operated.  I have been unable to find anything on the web about them except that they were notoriously unreliable.  I found a wiring diagram for the wipers but there is no mention of the vacuum lines.  Anybody have any insights on how to plumb the switch and governor/modulator?  Thank you!

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just saw this topic. I had the feature on my 65 Mercury and it worked fine for the 3 years that I owned the car. I don't have the shop manual or remember the hose routing. You might find these links some help.

https://www.fordfe.com/anyone-have-any-knowledge-on-the-1966-mercury-inte-t85987.html

https://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1995

Hi, Tom:  Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and provide some references.  Unfortunately, it appears that most of the contributors in the links know even less about the system than I do.  I was able to get some information from Mr. MacPherson with the Horseless Carriage Club museum.  He solved the mystery about which color hoses connect to the two nipples on the controller but I'm still clueless about what hoses connect to the three nipples on the switch.  Anyway, I know the information is out there; I just have to find it.  

Our local library used to have the AllData books in their reference section. They would have a vacuum hose diagram for your Mercury. I think that they went to the all online system last year and I don't think that their system goes back to 1965.

You could check in the Technical section of this Forum to see if anybody has access to the data from 1965.

I will try a guess as to how the vacuum hoses are connected, if you can tell me how the hoses are connected on the controller and how your windshield washer is operated.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your input.  AllData does not go back to 1965.

I was able to get some information from "Mac" MacPherson, Executive Director of the Automotive Research Library in LaMesa, CA.  I sent an email with my question and he called me back directly to make sure that he understood what I was looking for.  Then he sent a couple of scans that were very helpful.  I would recommend becoming a member of the Research Library not only for the technical support that is available, but also because it's a great resource that supports the hobby.

Between the information that Mac sent me and the notes I took when disassembling the dashboard I was able to figure out how the system is plumbed together.  

• Black is the source.  It goes on the right hand nipple at the bottom of the switch.
  • Red goes from the the left hand nipple at the bottom of the switch to the nipple on the top of the controller diaphragm that is located under the hood just inboard of the left hood hinge.
  • White goes from the nipple on the bottom of the controller back into the cabin to the nipple that is in the center of the switch

I hope this helps solve the mystery for anybody else who is trying to fix their intermittent wipers on an old Mercury.

By the way, here is contact information for the Automotive Research Library...

D. A. “Mac” MacPherson
Executive Director, HCFI

Automotive Research Library

Street Address: 8186 Center St, Suite F, La Mesa, CA 91942

Mail Address: PO Box 369, La Mesa, CA 91944-0369

Phone: 619-464-0301

Email: research@hcfi.org

Mr. Mac is a heck of a nice guy, pleasant to converse with, and very knowledgeable.

• 1 year later...

The electrical supply to the wiper motor is controlled by a vacuum governor. When the flow of vacuum activates the contact plates in the governor, power flows to the wiper motor. The wiper switch controls both the electrical flow and the vacuum control ( two switches in one). The larger (outside knob ) controls electrical flow and the center ( inner knob ) controls the vacuum flow. There are 3 small vacuum lines running from the governor ( in the engine compartment ) to this switch. Each line is color coded at it's end. Red, White,and Blue. There are corresponding color markers at both the switch and the governor. Connect the lines to the correct color port and then control the vacuum ( wiper speed ) with the center knob on the switch.