NEED TO KNOW difference between these two models...

Hi.... I am looking to buy a 1930 model A pickup that is supposedly a Deluxe Cab....... was there a deluxe cab 1930 pickup..? and what would be the difference between it and a regular cab pickup of the same year..?   any knowledge of this would be appreciated..... pickup only.

00606_e6S80841wJM_0Ao0og_600x450.jpg

Looks to me , from the photo, you may have a 1931 wide bed truck, although, this particular bed may be a much later version as I don't think the wide bed end gates carried the Ford Script. The wide bead or all steel box was introduced in May of 1931. In August of that year they introduced the first all steel Ford body on the pickups, which had an all steel top , not the fabric types like the earlier versions. On the standard pickups, there were no "deluxe" cabs, as far as I can find. All Ford pickups came with the left welled fender, painted radiator shell and headlamp buckets. All truck  cabs were trimmed in the same scheme  which was black artificial leather, but they did offer a wide array of external colors that could be had. The color scheme above was not one of them! They did not come with rear bumpers, that may have been an accessory, but not factory. and the right welled fender may also have been a special option. The wheels are not original and are of later design, the original wheels would be the 19 in. wire wheel. Looks like this truck shares the fate on many a Model A, being "duded'up with special accessories. There was the  Deluxe Pickup offered in May of 1931, a smaller version of the AA service car with smooth  box sides integrated with the cab. This truck did have bright headlamps and grille shell and chrome rails on the top of the box sides. These are rather rare and only a few exist today.

Thank you jpage... i think the ford script is painted on...  I was wondering about the three hinges, and square lower corners on the tail gate... as opposed to the two hinges and rounded lower corners... even on a wide bed...  I know it has 1935, 16" ford wire wheels.. but it also has the gas tank shut off valve on the firewall instead of inside under the tank....

Edited by sunnybaba (see edit history)

'31's did have an exterior fuel shutoff on the firewall. I couldn't tell if the script was painted or embossed but it looked odd being on only one panel. looking at the 2 photos now, looks like the bed is correct. I've haven't seen many wide bed trucks.

thank you Dave.. that bed in the last photo is exactly the same as the bed in the first... except it has had a lot more use..... the truck I am buying has 613 ORIGINAL miles on it.... it was owned buy one person  for 70 years, who only drove it around the small airport where he worked......

• Like 1
On 6/12/2020 at 5:48 AM, sunnybaba said:

thank you Dave.. that bed in the last photo is exactly the same as the bed in the first... except it has had a lot more use..... the truck I am buying has 613 ORIGINAL miles on it.... it was owned buy one person  for 70 years, who only drove it around the small airport where he worked......

Those things are known to roll over once or twice in many years. Some get new # decals. Don't believe without conformation.

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

I know you can change the reading on one with a fast drill...... the entire truck shows NO WEAR..... interior, engine, floor boards ,foot pedals no dents ... the guy I am buying it from, bought it from this 94 year old friend of his worked at a small airport.... he knew the old man had this nice looking old pickup... that looked almost new (not shiny).... the the man drove it around the airport and air field... he Never took it out of the airport.... he had another car for going away from the airport.... so one day this younger friend(buyer)..... asks if he could buy it... and the old man was ready to pass it on..... so he paid a good price for it....over $14K

and he had Hot Rod in his mind.... But... the truck was so sorted out, and ran like a Swiss watch.... and actually soooo cute..... that she won the new guy's Heart  too..... and he put it up for sale... and He is willing to trade for my Franklin.....  I knew what to look for in those photos... that truck has seen VERY little use....... and is very nice looking..... to Me....😍

00n0n_3Kn29pHZN7Z_0Ao0og_600x450.jpg

01212_k0MIsNzKJvo_0Ao0og_600x450.jpg

This truck has had a lot of modifications from original over the years.Don't be fooled by the odometer. Interior has been replaced at one time and totally repainted. I wouldn't doubt that it has it's share of body work done. Still, it could be a good truck to putter around in for the right price.

• 3 weeks later...